Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 3:23am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what needs sorted here, it doesn't matter if there's 10 seconds or 4 minutes left in the round if the fighter is not intelligently defending himslef the ref has to stop the fight.

In this case I do think it was premature as Vera was trying to defend.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was definitely an early stoppage, you can see in the last couple of of frames before the Dan M. moves in Vera is trying to catch an arm and moving his arms to defend, + he was up & shouting the odd sin seconds once he realised what had happened.

A couple of times earlier in the fight the ref broke up a clinch & re-started them, both (in my opinion) far to early they were working paused then before they could get going - back to the centre (think there was a quick stand-up too?) and I know I've seen premature stand-ups from Dan M. before.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrip

Vera should do something from this position. How long should the ref let him just get his head beat in?

Im not sure but I think you exceeded your bandwidth. It could be the huge amount of fail you tried to post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 12:10pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrekBJJ
    That's what needs sorted here, it doesn't matter if there's 10 seconds or 4 minutes left in the round if the fighter is not intelligently defending himslef the ref has to stop the fight.

In this case I do think it was premature as Vera was trying to defend.
    actually, i think it does matter whether there are 4 minutes or 10 seconds left in the round.

here's the thing, how easily did Werdum pass Vera's guard and mount? like a few have been saying, with that many seconds left in the round, i don't think Vera would risk rolling, or giving up his back to someone that savvy on the ground.

Vera seemed to be weathering the storm just fine....
    Last edited by strikesubmit; 6/09/2008 12:13pm at .

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mexican Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Im not sure but I think you exceeded your bandwidth. It could be the huge amount of fail you tried to post.

Here's another. The ref made the right call, you can't let a guy get punched in the head for 15 straight seconds (and yes the Kimbo fight should have been stopped in the 2nd). And insults that involve internet slang are just sad, why not just post a picture of a cat making some whacky insult with poor grammar while you're at it?

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 2:55pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was only a spoiler if there was a black out ie. pride was one day behind. Since you had the chance to see it live now we cant talk about this fight openly.

I dont really think that the stoppage was bad I can see both sides, he wasnt going anywhere he turned away from strikes and wasnt even attempting to escape. On the other hand there wasnt much time left in the round there hits werent the hardest and he was still covering up.

I like Vera he should let the Ego **** go and drop to 205lbs. he really thought he was going to own the hw's and then go down to lhw and own to. Werdum was just to big for him.

so no he didnt get fucked.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was still 20 seconds in the round for Vera to get punched in the head some more. I thought the stoppage was a little early, but it wasn't absolutely terrible. Going to the fetal position doesn't qualify as a defense in any rulebook.

Werdum wasn't having too much of a problem getting him down or passing his guard in round 1, but for some reason, Vera thinks he actually won the 1st round. Even with Cecil judging, I don't think Vera would have been ahead on any judges scorecards if they got out of the first round.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vera needs to give it up and drop to light heavy.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 4:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrip

Here's another. The ref made the right call, you can't let a guy get punched in the head for 15 straight seconds (and yes the Kimbo fight should have been stopped in the 2nd). And insults that involve internet slang are just sad, why not just post a picture of a cat making some whacky insult with poor grammar while you're at it?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 5:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Vera doesn't want the fight stopped next time he should probably defend himself at all times. When the guy puts his hands on his head and makes no attempt to do anything, even buck, or hold onto the guy who has him mounted, the fight needs to be stopped. He was not intelligently defending; he was just taking punches with absolutely no intent of defending himself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast