Posted On:
    6/08/2008 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    No, it won't.
    Well, if by 'manipulation, we are talking about people coming into a fight 15-20 pounds above their weigh-in weight, then I believe it would reduce the cutting game. Why do you think it won't? If you are just talking about people trying to come in at the top of their weight class, then it won't.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moenric
    Well, if by 'manipulation, we are talking about people coming into a fight 15-20 pounds above their weigh-in weight, then I believe it would reduce the cutting game. Why do you think it won't? If you are just talking about people trying to come in at the top of their weight class, then it won't.
    People might not cut as much, but they'll still cut. Also, I think it will result in more Lutter-esque fighters that look like they had just undergone several rounds of chemo.

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 4:20pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a serious note to a thread that had a weak opening. I would love to see all weight cutting games, making weight, switching weight classes go away and be replaced by a scientific way to assign fighters to a class. This goes triple for amateur and juvenile competitions. But the original premise is wrong. We do not have a scientific, fair , and consistent way to do this. Every proposal will quickly have flaws pointed out by other posters. Adults just have to make their own choices, and kids need to be watched by their parents.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not against the idea of having an 'open' weight class for fighters who want to compete in that division. But it shouldn't be the only way to decide a championship.
    There's room for both weight classes and non weight class divisions in MMA.
    When it comes to Boxing, I have always preferred watching welter-light heavy fighters over heavyweights. More excitement, more punches etc. Watching two heavyweights who gas out after 4 rounds is boring to me.
    As for MMA..I am finding all weight classes to be equally entertaining because, for the most part, the heavyweightss are still very athletic and the fights are not boring.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 4:58pm

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 12:38pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy
    It's always funnier when goliath breaks david's spine IMHO
    on the flip side, watching anyone smaller than Bob Sapp win after just a few seconds would be equally as entertaining.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 6:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Barra JiuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the ultimate fighter should just be an amateur open weight tournament shown on ppv every few UFC's. the winner gets $100,000.000 and a contract.

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 6:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gref
    the ultimate fighter should just be an amateur open weight tournament shown on ppv every few UFC's. the winner gets $100,000.000 and a contract.
    Unless it was a free-for-all with everyone in the ring at the same time, it would just be a boring slugfest between super heavyweights.

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 6:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikesubmit
    on the flip side, watching anyone smaller than Bob Sapp win after just a few seconds would be equally as entertaining.
    Don't for get Sakuraba armbarring a BJJ BB that was 80lbs heavier than him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 1:03pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am all for Open weight. Now, do I want to see a vast difference in all fighters weight? No. It could make for a lot of boring fights. But I do want variety.
    I think a real fighter, A good Fighter, knows how to kick ass regardless of the speed or strength of the opponent. Plus since fighters agree to the fights, why shouldn’t they all be open weight most people would fight people around their weight class any way. If Little guys didnt want to fight big guys they dont.

Im a super heavy weight and im gonna start fighting armature in the next couple of months (plan on it anyway). I way 330 and i could be fighting 550 pound beast or i could be fighting people way faster than me in the heavy weight division because they can’t find super heavys for me. Way I look at it, the more different kind of people you fight the better you become as a fighter or martial artist. As much as i hate to say it - the Gracies are a prime example of that.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast