Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2008 11:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are there any gay MMA fighters?

First off, this is a serious thread.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way. . .

I have a few gay friends and any time I talk to them about the UFC they're all like, "Eww . . . violence." (Fags . . . and I mean that in the best way possible.) Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any openly gay MMA fighters or, for that matter, any openly gay notable martial artists of any sort.

Can anyone help?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 12:11am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [googlefu]
    gay mma openly - Google Search
    [/googlefu]

Short answer, yes, one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 12:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    [googlefu]
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ly&btnG=Search
    [/googlefu]

Short answer, yes, one.
    Thanks, that helps. Not sure what it is about the MMA crowd but there's a lot of homophobia going on out there. I just write it off as ignorance and stupidity. I figure we need more gay fighters . . . then people will know that being gay has nothing to do with being a man or being able to kick the **** out of someone.
    Last edited by shadow_priest_x; 6/08/2008 12:51am at .

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 12:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I think it would be great if there were more openly gay/lesbian competitors in combat sports as a whole. Unfortunately there's still plenty of homophobia to go around, so perhaps the presence of more homosexual fighters will help chip away at the existing negative stereotypes that many people still hold in regards to gays and lesbians.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 12:53am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's at least one lesbian MMA fighter on this forum.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 1:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    Actually, I think it would be great if there were more openly gay/lesbian competitors in combat sports as a whole. Unfortunately there's still plenty of homophobia to go around, so perhaps the presence of more homosexual fighters will help chip away at the existing negative stereotypes that many people still hold in regards to gays and lesbians.
    If I were hardpressed to answer the question I would probably have to identify myself as "bisexual." Most of my experiences have been of the 'hetero' variety, though, and I definitely identify myself as more straight than gay. (Truth be told, I don't get a lot of gay people. Mostly because they're so . . . gay, i.e. 'eww . . . violence').

With ALL THAT said, I don't get the attitude that a lot of people have toward gay people. It's as if they think that every gay man wants everyone out there who has a dick. And at all times, too. Ha. That's far from the truth. I don't know how many gay martial artists are out there, but I can assure you that when a gay judo guy (and I use Judo because that's part of my own MA background) is trying to arm bar you, he's not thinking about how hot your ass is. He's thinking about making you tap the **** out.
    Last edited by shadow_priest_x; 6/08/2008 1:18am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 1:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    There's at least one lesbian MMA fighter on this forum.

Lesbians definitely often get a pass when gay guys don't. Why? Because most guys are like "oohh . . . lesbians" and think it's sexy while they just find gay guys to be creepy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 1:13am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_priest_x
    Lesbians definitely often get a pass when gay guys don't. Why? Because most guys are like "oohh . . . lesbians" and think it's sexy while they just find gay guys to be creepy.
    Usually most hetero guys will only give them a pass if they consider them hot. They've still got a lot of scorn and derision for the heavily-tattooed ones that can punch as hard as guys. Go figure.

Shad Smith aside, for all anybody knows there could be more in the MMA world still in the closet. I'd be willing to wager that, for all anybody knows, we've all trained, sparred and rolled with gay and lesbian folks in our respective training. But at the end of the day, who really gives a ****? Different strokes for different folks and all that...

"I wish I could be gay for a week, just so I could **** some **** up! I'd go up to the first redneck I saw, cold-clock him in the jaw, stand over him and say 'You just got your ass kicked by a queer, ************!'" - Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 8:34am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there is any truth to the statistic that one in ten is gay, then there must be lots

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega likes to skip around in a peter pan costume now and then, but he's not very gay. Just a big soft-hearted silly-billy.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast