Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    It is Fake- I wasnt being sarcastic, PSB really seems upset by this given that he's claiming that people are making blanket statements like "No one should ever use inhalers/medicine" when no one has come close to saying that. It would be irresponsible to say something like that. Just like it's irresponsible saying anyone with asthma needs to be on an inhaler!

I have asthma, it's not a fun thing. I can understand how someone in a worse position than I am would take criticism of inhaler use personally.
    Dude did you read my post? I agreed with what you and PSB said.

I took exception to your personal comment. You cherry picked a sarcastic response to a sarcastic oversimplification of side effects.

*Edit*

All I'm saying is get checked first a foremost and go from there. All of us who have Asthma can detail many different strategies.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    It's not foolproof, sadly. I used to do this when I fenced until one time I had a pretty bad attack in the middle of a match anyway.

There's also still (in my case at least) a significant drop in peak flow during the refractory period.
    (:--(
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Fake- I wasnt being sarcastic, PSB really seems upset by this given that he's claiming that people are making blanket statements like "No one should ever use inhalers/medicine" when no one has come close to saying that. It would be irresponsible to say something like that.
    Your first post suggested avoiding them if at all possible, that's not quite the same as 'don't use them if you don't need them'.
    Just like it's irresponsible saying anyone with asthma needs to be on an inhaler!
    You don't need to be regularly using one. You -do- need to own one.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: I just read PSB's response above mine. I think we can come to an agreement that being checked out and diagnosed first is the best choice, because there is more than one way to go depending on how asthmatic you are. sometimes inhalers are the right (and only!) choice and sometimes doing what dwkfym is doing now in working through it is the better option.
    Indeed, with a proviso that you may get athletic benefits from medicating even very mild asthma (very common in the Olympics, for example) that wouldn't normally merit intervention.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody uses albuterol (aka salbutamol)?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:37am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You name it I've probably used it.

That's what I use right now.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mother uses albuterol from time to time and one of my baby nephews as well. I have a bottle in the fridge, but its most likely expired.

I've only used a inhaler once (a OTC btw), which severely irritated my throat.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have "QVAR beclomethasone dipropionate HFA" whatever that is. I looked it up and it looks like some sort of inflammation reliever.
    You guys get tested? My doctors just listened to my breathing with a stethascope and said "You have asmtha." (gee, thanks)

I'll keep all of your advice in mind. Thanks. I plan on never using this thing unless I get an attack. I'll keep it in my gym bag just in case. I hope this doesn't expire for a long time..

So you don't really need to take a break for cardio training like you do from weightlifting?

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope. Being asthmatic put on us the burden of training cardio regularly. In my personal experience, some form of cardio (GPP conditioning) needs to take place on a regular basis, something that taxes your ability to breath.

Same with weightlifting. It's not so much as taking a break as it is to "taper" or deload the intensity or frequency at specific intervals.

Seeing at your MA/PT training schedule, I wouldn't worry about trying to add more. You are doing what needs to be done. I'm not sure what else you could do when it comes to conditioning. Asthma is a bitch no matter how you try to deal with it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swam. No seriously. My pediatrician recommended it to help build lung capacity. Now, you have to swim competitively and do a bunch of drills I'm to lazy to type out. It also goes right back to TeM's cardio explanation.

I was not a "lap" swimmer.

I actually use cingulair(?) pills. If it is expired get rid of it and get a new one just in case. I wonder, to this day, if that created the uptick in my Asthma instead of age...?

Like you I basically had one Hospital visit in 20 years due to an expired prescription.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123