Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:22am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Any justification for this, at all?

If you have asthma it's -very- important you get a 'reliever' inhaler in case you have an attack.

Other than that it may be a good idea to use a 'preventer' (normally a long-acting bronchodilator or a corticosteroid) for a while. You might well find (as I did) that some of what you're attributing to your cardio giving out is actually the asthma kicking in and get a substantial jump in your apparent 'fitness'.
    Good luck with the buffalo hump, moon face, increased abdominal fat, thinner arms, thinning skin and stunted growth that long term use of prophylatics such as corticosteroids can incur.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Good luck with the buffalo hump, moon face, increased abdominal fat, thinner arms, thinning skin and stunted growth that long term use of prophylatics such as corticosteroids can incur.
    OMG, medicine can have side effects? Better never use any then.

Inhaled corticosteroids in low doses are very unlikely to have significant long-term side effects, the kind of thing you're talking about is common in big oral doses. In fact the main one is you do get is throat infections, which you can mitigate by gargling after you inhale.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is true he must also have known people who died because they didn't get an inhaler in time. It's grossly irresponsible to go around suggesting people don't use them at all.
    I dont think i suggested people dont use them at all. i suggested not using them to a person who has learned to cope without them thus far. Do you know of any medical professionals in a field where life and death are at stake who have never been responsible for a patients death?

Bully for you. In order to get my fitness to its current midly good state (where I've halved my dosage of one inhaler and rarely need the other) it was necessary for me to use a whole bunch of drugs, because without them I was a gasping wreck under even mild exercise loads.
    Well thank god i didnt misread the OP and think it was you, because then my advice would be totally innapplicable!

Of course there are people who NEED such medications and drugs, you seem to be taking my advice to dwkfym as a personal attack on people who actually require the use of steroids. this isnt true. I am genuinely happy for you that with the help of medicine you can live the active lifestyle you want. that being said not everyone needs that help. Most medicines that you need to use on a daily basis have long term effects that do not always outweigh the symptoms they are dealing with.

Like these!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG, medicine can have side effects? Better never use any then.
    Yeah, like I thought. This is getting a little on the personal side. No one suggested this at all but you're clearly pretty upset.

Good luck with your asthma dwkfym, whatever you choose to do to treat it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any justification for this, at all?

If you have asthma it's -very- important you get a 'reliever' inhaler in case you have an attack.

Other than that it may be a good idea to use a 'preventer' (normally a long-acting bronchodilator or a corticosteroid) for a while. You might well find (as I did) that some of what you're attributing to your cardio giving out is actually the asthma kicking in and get a substantial jump in your apparent 'fitness'.
    Yes, I agree. Just don't let it become a crutch IF you even have asthma. I noticed an uptick when I got older. Not much but I found out the hard way you need to have an inhaler ready just in case.

I do agree that Doctors over prescribe but, you need to get tested first. If you do have it they'll teach you when and how to use the pump.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is getting a little on the personal side.
    Come on now, a sarcastic response to a sarcastic response? Everyone needs to stop.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    I sometimes get exercise induced Asthma, especially when it's muggy and smoggy I tried an inhaler but it doesn't do much.

I asked this question a year or so ago on the UG if pro fighters get it, some answered.

One interesting tidbit is that environmental exercise induced Asthma is more an allergic response and your body produces it's own natural antihistamines to deal with it.

so that if you get it, and then take a break until your breathing goes back to normal you have about a 20 -30 minute window where the natural antihistamines are still kicking in and you won't get it again.

So one guy said before grappling matches, he would induce it, then calm down and then go ahead with out getting it again or needing an inhaler.

An other thing I do when I know it's going to be hot and smoggy is take an allergy pill an hour before class.
    Wooooaaaah, that's tidbit of info is solid gold right there. I wish I had know that 20+ years ago.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    I dont think i suggested people dont use them at all. i suggested not using them to a person who has learned to cope without them thus far. Do you know of any medical professionals in a field where life and death are at stake who have never been responsible for a patients death?
    People who have asthma attacks -at all- should keep a fast-acting bronchodilator around. Lots of asthma deaths are people who generally have mild-to-no symptoms but then, for some reason, suffer a massive attack they're not prepared for.
    Well thank god i didnt misread the OP and think it was you, because then my advice would be totally innapplicable!
    I was merely suggesting another course of action, taking notice of the fact that although he may feel like he doesn't have attacks what he may, in fact, be having is very frequent mild attacks that he doesn't recognise.
    Of course there are people who NEED such medications and drugs, you seem to be taking my advice to dwkfym as a personal attack on people who actually require the use of steroids. this isnt true. I am genuinely happy for you that with the help of medicine you can live the active lifestyle you want. that being said not everyone needs that help.
    My anecdote counts for at least as much as your anecdote.
    Most medicines that you need to use on a daily basis have long term effects that do not always outweigh the symptoms they are dealing with.
    Well, yeah, you've got to balance up positives and negatives, duh. Inhaled corticosteroids at reasonable doses are pretty safe, however.
    Yeah, like I thought. This is getting a little on the personal side. No one suggested this at all but you're clearly pretty upset.
    His post was pretty retarded.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Wooooaaaah, that's tidbit of info is solid gold right there. I wish I had know that 20+ years ago.
    It's not foolproof, sadly. I used to do this when I fenced until one time I had a pretty bad attack in the middle of a match anyway.

There's also still (in my case at least) a significant drop in peak flow during the refractory period.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 11:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Fake- I wasnt being sarcastic, PSB really seems upset by this given that he's claiming that people are making blanket statements like "No one should ever use inhalers/medicine" when no one has come close to saying that. It would be irresponsible to say something like that. Just like it's irresponsible saying anyone with asthma needs to be on an inhaler!

I have asthma, it's not a fun thing. I can understand how someone in a worse position than I am would take criticism of inhaler use personally.

EDIT: I just read PSB's response above mine. I think we can come to an agreement that being checked out and diagnosed first is the best choice, because there is more than one way to go depending on how asthmatic you are. sometimes inhalers are the right (and only!) choice and sometimes doing what dwkfym is doing now in working through it is the better option.
    Last edited by Kaoz; 6/11/2008 11:05am at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast