Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/07/2008 10:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Resting, Cardio, Asthma..

Ever since January of this year I started running. Before that I could barely run a sub nine minute mile. Today I can do five mile runs and run 5km+ every day. I can talk on the phone or talk to friends the whole way through if I'm doing an easy (25min 3mile ish) pace.

Here is what happened: On friday after Judo randori I felt like I could barely get air down my throat. I didn't feel completely choked, but I was taking in air at a decreased rate. Enough to get me thinking "oh ****" Is this what beginning of asthma attacks feel like? Doctors have been telling me that I have intermittent/excercise enduced asthma for all my life.

I've never had an asthma attack. In fact, the only other time I've acknowledged that I MAY have asthma problems was after winning the fourth match at this state tournament.. I spent a good minute and a half in an incomplete leg triangle choke with almost no air.

Here is what I think that might have instigated the event:
    The night before I tried changing my running: I slowed down and widened my stride while breathing in/out every 4 steps instead of 2.

I got little sleep (5 hours of sleep and 2 hours nap) that day.

Oh, I remember someone asking to post what I do and how much sleep I get every time newbtard posts these questions, so here is my weekly routine:

1.5hrs Judo training x3
    1.5hrs Kickboxing self-training x2
    Weightlifting x1 or 2
    Swimming x2 or3 (750m no rest)
    Running x6 (3 miles)

I usually get 7-10 hours of sleep every day. After lifting or combining three of these events a day I sleep 12 hours..ish..

Usually I have to skip one or two of the sessions mentioned above because I can't fit it all in my schedule.. despite the fact that I just graduated and have jack **** to do!

Is there anything in my cardio routine that I should fix? I really don't want asthma bothering my life in any way. I never even acknowledged that I had it because it almost never bothers me. But should I start carrying an inhaler? I'm pretty mad about this. :new_2guns Does anyone know if this will get worse as I get older, or if I change whatever I'm doing wrong I should never have a problem with it?

Maybe I'm just being a *****..
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/07/2008 10:27pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KTS & JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could be just allergies.
    You could try eating peppermint candy or chewing peppermint gum while running.
    Coffee helps too if you have an attack.

But unless it happens repeatedly, don't be so concerned about it. Having an inhaler on hand isn't a bad idea, but it sounds like you're in phenomenal shape.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asthma never goes away, and you are already doing a lot of "cardio" for lack of a better term. I haven't had an asthma attack since I was 16 (that's 22 years from now), but the limitations in breathing are still there. I know exactly the "choke" feeling you are describing.

Allergies compound the problem. When I moved to Florida, it got so bad I had to have my nasal passages reconstructed, and the humidity doesn't help when doing sprints.

Anyways, the only thing I could recommend is to never stop working your conditioning. Never. As an asthmatic, you'll loose it faster than other folks when you stop. Do more HIIT, and when you do road work, sprint on occasions. And when you run/sprint, every once in a while (not always), try to take breaths as deeply as possible (trying to fill your lung capacity to its limit.)

One thing that helped me a bit was Bikram Yoga (the type of yoga done in a heated room.) The deep breathing (and the chest expansion that comes with it) when doing poses in a room filled with extremelly hot air does something to your lungs, something really good (check with your doctor if you have blood pressure or **** like that, though I doubt you have it.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 7:42am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 hours of judo at a time? Wow.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No dude, it's 1.5 hours (it's the way he formatted his text that kinda makes it look like "1. 5 hours" :tongue3:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 8:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a surprise TEM is dead on as usual.

I have asthma, my father was a Respiratory Therapist. You are doing everything right in trying to work through it on your own, not letting it get in your head and most of all dont use an inhaler if you can help it.

doctor's prescribe them way too often and they act as a crutch. that's all I can really add to this.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    What a surprise TEM is dead on as usual.

I have asthma, my father was a Respiratory Therapist. You are doing everything right in trying to work through it on your own, not letting it get in your head and most of all dont use an inhaler if you can help it.

doctor's prescribe them way too often and they act as a crutch. that's all I can really add to this.
    Any justification for this, at all?

If you have asthma it's -very- important you get a 'reliever' inhaler in case you have an attack.

Other than that it may be a good idea to use a 'preventer' (normally a long-acting bronchodilator or a corticosteroid) for a while. You might well find (as I did) that some of what you're attributing to your cardio giving out is actually the asthma kicking in and get a substantial jump in your apparent 'fitness'.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sometimes get exercise induced Asthma, especially when it's muggy and smoggy I tried an inhaler but it doesn't do much.

I asked this question a year or so ago on the UG if pro fighters get it, some answered.

One interesting tidbit is that environmental exercise induced Asthma is more an allergic response and your body produces it's own natural antihistamines to deal with it.

so that if you get it, and then take a break until your breathing goes back to normal you have about a 20 -30 minute window where the natural antihistamines are still kicking in and you won't get it again.

So one guy said before grappling matches, he would induce it, then calm down and then go ahead with out getting it again or needing an inhaler.

An other thing I do when I know it's going to be hot and smoggy is take an allergy pill an hour before class.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The justification I have is the experiences my father have related to me.

According to him, in his time as a therapist (something around 17 years, at NYU then as the head of cardio-pulminary care at Fletcher Allen in Burlington, VT) most asthmatics only need their inhaler as a ritual. He used to give people placebo inhalers and the vast majority of people thought they were real and felt like they were getting an effect when in reality they were just relaxing their airways.

I wouldnt just tell anyone this but he's obviously coped with it for some time and unnecessary use of any bronchio-dialator would just set him back and set him up to fail the time he gets an attack and doesnt have it.

I mentioned this because there are a lot of doctors who will ignore the fitness aspect of their patients when prescribing inhalers. It happened to me, it's happened to friends, and my dad was constantly butting heads with doctor's who wanted to medicate rather than teach people breathing and relaxation.

EDIT: My asthma was bad enough to have me bed-ridden for 5 months when it first presented itself. I saw a lot of health-care professionals to help me with it but in the end it was self control and relaxation that got me past it.
    Last edited by Kaoz; 6/11/2008 9:25am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The justification I have is the experiences my father have related to me.

According to him, in his time as a therapist (something around 17 years, at NYU then as the head of cardio-pulminary care at Fletcher Allen in Burlington, VT) most asthmatics only need their inhaler as a ritual. He used to give people placebo inhalers and the vast majority of people thought they were real and felt like they were getting an effect when in reality they were just relaxing their airways.

I wouldnt just tell anyone this but he's obviously coped with it for some time and unnecessary use of any bronchio-dialator would just set him back and set him up to fail the time he gets an attack and doesnt have it.
    If this is true he must also have known people who died because they didn't get an inhaler in time. It's grossly irresponsible to go around suggesting people don't use them at all.

Yes, we've all certainly known fat kids with mild asthma who could probably get by without it, this is not everyone.
    I mentioned this because there are a lot of doctors who will ignore the fitness aspect of their patients when prescribing inhalers. It happened to me, it's happened to friends, and my dad was constantly butting heads with doctor's who wanted to medicate rather than teach people breathing and relaxation.

EDIT: My asthma was bad enough to have me bed-ridden for 5 months when it first presented itself. I saw a lot of health-care professionals to help me with it but in the end it was self control and relaxation that got me past it.
    Bully for you. In order to get my fitness to its current midly good state (where I've halved my dosage of one inhaler and rarely need the other) it was necessary for me to use a whole bunch of drugs, because without them I was a gasping wreck under even mild exercise loads.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast