Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Replying to Emevas: It all depends really. One common (and kinda long) warmup we did in jits was 10+ sets of 50 ab crunches followed by 20-30 push ups (push ups done for time) and repeat. At the end one ends up having 500-600 ab crunches and 200-300 push ups. Others variations were simply an abominational number of bw squats mixed with hindu push ups (or worse, burpees.)

The one thing constant was the large number of repetitions. It served to warm up (and to a degree to get people to "push through it".) There isn't a particular focus on the muscles involved or the exercises being done, but on getting the person to exhaustion and getting him to roll under those conditions.

For aesthetics or strength gaining purposes, however, it is true, hundreds or thousands or reps do not server a purpose at all.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BudoMonkey, to add to what Emevas said, other exercises with carry over on the abdominals are front squats (oly and bodybuilding styles), overhead squats (barbell and unilateral), full contact twists, turkish get ups, and janda sit ups holding dumbbells directly over your head with arms extended.

[edit]

You should try abdominal weels if you haven't done them already. You may be able to cut down the amount of time spend in abdominal work with one of those puppies.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/06/2008 2:52pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Replying to Emevas: It all depends really. One common (and kinda long) warmup we did in jits was 10+ sets of 50 ab crunches followed by 20-30 push ups (push ups done for time) and repeat. At the end one ends up having 500-600 ab crunches and 200-300 push ups. Others variations were simply an abominational number of bw squats mixed with hindu push ups (or worse, burpees.)

The one thing constant was the large number of repetitions. It served to warm up (and to a degree to get people to "push through it".) There isn't a particular focus on the muscles involved or the exercises being done, but on getting the person to exhaustion and getting him to roll under those conditions.

For aesthetics or strength gaining purposes, however, it is true, hundreds or thousands or reps do not server a purpose at all.

Yeah, that used to drive me nuts whenever I trained, because I'm one of those "perfect practice" kinda folks, haha.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:57pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, guys. We used to do a warmup similiar to your jits workout in muay thai, and I never stopped to think that some of it might be unnecessary. I am running off right now to research the excercises you reccomended, and I can't wait to try them out.

EDIT: I just saw a video for one of those ab wheels, and I'm gonna go buy one this weekend. Awesome. Freakin awesome.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 6/06/2008 3:04pm at .

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 3:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Abra Cadabra, separating good and necrotic tissue: i can haz 200 ab crunchies, i'm teh leet hax0r, lol - No BS Martial Arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 3:20pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Thanks, guys. We used to do a warmup similiar to your jits workout in muay thai, and I never stopped to think that some of it might be unnecessary. I am running off right now to research the excercises you reccomended, and I can't wait to try them out.

EDIT: I just saw a video for one of those ab wheels, and I'm gonna go buy one this weekend. Awesome. Freakin awesome.
    If you havent run across this yet, Ross Enamait has some interesting (and intense) wheel variations.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/wheel.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 6:18pm

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats for clearing that up, and my own thread Macho. :D

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 7:23pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho

The problem I have with a truly exhausting, "push through" warm up is the theory that you souldn't train spend and technique on tired muscles. The reasoning is from "science of sports training" by Thomas Kurz- train speed, techinque, power then endurance, in that order. It's kind of dangerous, in say, a boxing workout, to be really tired, then spar full contact. Now, you want to be warm, but just not gassed, or drained.

On the other hand, if you are in really, really good shape, you MAY NEED to do 100's of push ups to warm up before rolling, as you could be capable of doing sevral 100 without breaking a sweat.

PS i'm going to put my money where my mouth is an go to Bally's and do some conditioning right now-
    Last edited by new2bjj; 6/06/2008 7:29pm at .
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if you're in good shape, it shouldn't take 100s of push-ups to get your muscles warm.

Don't mind me, I'm just bitter, haha.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 10:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new2bjj:

Training jits while exhausted is a requirement. Being able to fight under exhaustion is part of training. The rationale is that, as you are fatigued one MUST rely on technique and not just on muscular power (plus there is the mental aspect of being able to fight both your opponent and your own fatigue.)

Mind you, it should never be like that all the time (since that's detrimental to learning and leads to burn out) just as there should never be the case of rolling while fresh (since then one would never learn how to fight/roll under strenous, unfavorable conditions.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12