Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

greens?

sorry If Im posting this in the wrong area, wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep all the supplement stuff to one thread or not.

I work/go to school in one city and then commute 2hrs by public transit to go train 2-3 nights a week in toronto and I'm I have a lot of problems with energy levels for the classes. I started taking the greens+ pills and noticed a slight improvement but I'm not sure if the effects I'm seeing are real. I've ordered the endurance supplement that el macho reviewed on this forum but with the shipping and tariffs I don't think I'll be able to afford it on a monthly basis (edit: I live in canada).

I was reading through the stickies and have seen no mention of any greens supplements. Are there any real benefits to taking things like greens+?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it, how much do you take?

I also make a shake with the powder form, along with whey protein, rice milk a banana an with their Omega3 fish oil pills and other stuff like extra glutamine chrondroitin claucusamin, and calcium magnesium

Recently I went to the Health store I go to and it turns out the owner is a BJJ brown belt, and he recommended I take a BCAA supplement before class and the protein shake with greens plus and whatnot after class. (of course I popped my elbow a bit on turesday so I'll see how this works ion Saturdays BJJ class)

You can read more of the discussion about BCAA"s here.
    Breakfast shake and BJJ - No BS Martial Arts

Keep in mind I am trying to slim down a bit, where as you might have a different goal and needs, plus my body is made of paper mache so again different goals.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take three of the pills in the morning and three in the evening, its all I can afford.

I'm trying to get stronger, get better endurance and lose weight, heh. But I'll be happy with just a little extra energy for my evening classes. Just like to get opinions on the effectiveness of the greens for that sort of stuff. I try to eat a lot of vegetables, raw usually, but the only dark green leafy I get regularly is spinach.

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:48am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a professional fighter?

I'm not just saying this because we both have 'monkey' in our names: Bananas. Lots of bananas.

I almost always have one on my way out the door to go train, as long as I didn't already eat all of them earlier in the day. Having actual food in my belly always seemed better for me than just taking the pills. Bananas are a great and mobile option.
    Nectarines are delicious too, but make much more of a mess.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 6/06/2008 9:51am at .

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    I take three of the pills in the morning and three in the evening, its all I can afford.

I'm trying to get stronger, get better endurance and lose weight, heh. But I'll be happy with just a little extra energy for my evening classes. Just like to get opinions on the effectiveness of the greens for that sort of stuff. I try to eat a lot of vegetables, raw usually, but the only dark green leafy I get regularly is spinach.
    While the big bucket of powder is more expensive you get way more servings from it and actually save money in the long run

Also Costco might have it cheaper than shoppers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 10:02am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    While the big bucket of powder is more expensive you get way more servings from it and actually save money in the long run

Also Costco might have it cheaper than shoppers
    My local costco doesn't carry greens+ unfortunately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 10:04am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll third the bananas recommendation. I have two after training along with a protein shake every day.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you do an assesment of your overall diet first?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 12:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    You're a professional fighter?

I'm not just saying this because we both have 'monkey' in our names: Bananas. Lots of bananas.

I almost always have one on my way out the door to go train, as long as I didn't already eat all of them earlier in the day. Having actual food in my belly always seemed better for me than just taking the pills. Bananas are a great and mobile option.
    Nectarines are delicious too, but make much more of a mess.

Apparently yeah. I had my first fight in April of this year. Not a full-time fighter, I'm in grad school working on my PhD.

I eat bananas, usually only one a day though. I'll look into increasing that.

My bad on the pills, I dont know why I wrote 3+3. I take 6 in the morning and 6 at night and I hated the taste of the powder.

In terms of my diet I eat pretty clean. yogurt, berries and granola in the morning with a 1/2 litre of water. my main vice is coffee, cant really function in the morning without it. On nights that I commute to toronto I have to bring all my food for the day with me to the lab in the morning. Usually pack a sandwich (poached or boiled chicken breast with spinach and dijon), an apple, a banana, two nutritional supplement bars (200 cal, 30/40/40 with 15g protein), almond and raisins, and a big tupperware full of raw veggies (cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms --not a veggie I know, green bell peppers).

On night when I stay in hamilton I'll usually eat fish for dinner with a whole onion, mushrooms, tomatoes sometimes some brown rice.

edit: I also take a multivitamin at night when I get home.

I know I should be eating a bit more than that but with all my training gear in my bag its a bit hard to lug it to school, and I'm living off my grad stipend from the school.

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW if you're in Hamilton why aren't you training at Joslins?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast