Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: I suck at judo

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I suck at judo

I've been taking judo for about three months and still haven't thrown anyone in randori. Are my expectations high or do I just suck ass?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is a strong indicator that you need to train more.

it is a likely indicator that you are at a good school: after all, nobody else is getting thrown by the scrubastic three month white belt.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo takes a while.

Your story--through the information that you've given--isn't uncommon.

Don't get me wrong, you might still suck ass

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time... keep training and take your time.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a little more detail. I've been told that I'm much harder to throw than I used to be, and I've been able to put a few counters to work, usually dragging the other person down to the ground. What I haven't been able to do is to get in and throw.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmyhra View Post
    Here's a little more detail. I've been told that I'm much harder to throw than I used to be, and I've been able to put a few counters to work, usually dragging the other person down to the ground. What I haven't been able to do is to get in and throw.
    Just keep working at it. I still have trouble getting any real throws. I just sweep and reap.

Style
    Judo Sandbagger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait till the new guy/girl joins, and then you will chart your progress.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been taking judo for about three months and still haven't thrown anyone in randori. Are my expectations high or do I just suck ass?
    do you randori with students at your own level at all? in my dojo, anyone below brown only does randori with brown belts or higher. that means that after 9 months of judo i have not thrown a single person unless they let me.

i only say that to give you some perspective.

also: judo is hard, and takes a long time to get good at.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a sankyu and I suck. Welcome to the club.

Don't worry about how much you suck. Just learn as much as you can, practice hard, and have fun. You'll get a throw or two in eventually. You'll be happy, and then you'll realize you still suck. It's a vicious cycle :)
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to remind you that you shouldn't worry too much about getting thrown, especially at your level. When you start fighting not to get thrown you start stalling and muscling out of throws.

In your case, getting harder to throw is probably a healthy improvement to your defense, since you started hitting counters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last