Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bollocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am all into weeding out the crap in the martial art world, but lets be honest about it, without resorting to cheating tactics. I say this after observing a vid I saw on youtube entitled, 'wing chun sucks' .

Now the vid, although comical by nature seems to repressent and sumarise a false view that most people have here. It is this; that kung fu is useless, ineffective and a complete joke. That is simply not true.

Firstly the vid consist of practitioners of the 'Wing Tsun' or 'modified' school. They also seem to focus entirely of the worst, uncoordinated chunners I have ever seen. Lets face it the 'modified' wing chun was purposefully flawed. From a 50/50 weight distribution to practically all the weight on the back leg. That is just one of the many flaws in the system. So yes it sucks and looks pathetic. Does that mean all Kung Fu sucks, not at all.

So the title is misleading for a start, there is nothing showing any traditional wing chun practitioners it is just modified. And I agree it is painfull to watch. But do they represent authentic kung fu? Not at all. I hate the way 'kung fu' is crapped on here based on observing some very bad practitioners. And there are many, I agree.

There is one martial artist that verifies the validity and effectiveness of genuine kung fu and to put it bluntly the gross ignorance of the view here and that is the late Master Derek Jones.

Jones initially studied 'modified wing chun' under Victor Khan for nine years, then briefly under William Cheung in the more efficient 'Traditional wing chun'. Jones modified and evolved the system to what he claimed was a complete effective fighting system.

So what you ask? What credentials did he have? Well when it comes down to questions about the validity of Wing Chun in real life situations Derek Jones always comes up. Firsty he engaged in many, many streetfights including illegal 'prizefights' that would be held with welsh gypsys. His huge amount of experience in actual cold blooded streetfights is something that makes him stand out. Again I am not talking about warmblooded tournaments, with rules etc, I am talking about real streetfights.

During the 'Wing Chun' wars of the 1980's Derek was challenged by a 'Bob Sykes' the guy who started out the Martial Arts Illustrated magazine. Sykes was also a strong proponent of the 'Wing Chun Sucks' school of thought. They drove out to the middle of nowhere and Jones absolutely took him appart, I have the pics. Sykes had to spend three full months in hospital recovering from his injuries. Apparently he was on betablockers so he kept getting up while ordinarily he would have stayed down.

Anyway my point in all this is that kung fu in its true essence is a system free from anykind of 'bullshit', but I agree that for the most of what goes under the title of 'wing chun' or 'kung fu' it is a joke so I dont blame people for their views.

Ok rant over

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 9:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kr0me
    I am all into weeding out the crap in the martial art world, but lets be honest about it, without resorting to cheating tactics. I say this after observing a vid I saw on youtube entitled, 'wing chun sucks' .
    We Know you'll cheat. You rant will contain every argument ever heard on bullshido I bet.
    How abou teh real, teh lineage, teh superman instructor, teh sport vs street, and teh legendary story.

Now the vid, although comical by nature seems to repressent and sumarise a false view that most people have here. It is this; that kung fu is useless, ineffective and a complete joke. That is simply not true.

Firstly the vid consist of practitioners of the 'Wing Tsun' or 'modified' school. They also seem to focus entirely of the worst, uncoordinated chunners I have ever seen. Lets face it the 'modified' wing chun was purposefully flawed. From a 50/50 weight distribution to practically all the weight on the back leg. That is just one of the many flaws in the system. So yes it sucks and looks pathetic. Does that mean all Kung Fu sucks, not at all.
    Yes, of course, teh rr34l WC lineage debate.

So the title is misleading for a start, there is nothing showing any traditional wing chun practitioners it is just modified. And I agree it is painfull to watch. But do they represent authentic kung fu? Not at all. I hate the way 'kung fu' is crapped on here based on observing some very bad practitioners. And there are many, I agree.
    According to who? You?

There is no such thing as unmodified anything. Hell, BJJ isn't the same as it was 15 years ago when it started becoming popular in America.

Your best bet is to lurk and read the 100's of threads that detail exactly the same rant, you think you just unleashed to educate bullshido.

There is one martial artist that verifies the validity and effectiveness of genuine kung fu and to put it bluntly the gross ignorance of the view here and that is the late Master Derek Jones.
    Of course not only is he dead but, it isn't you. Well, so does Bruce Lee, Yip Man, Brendan Lai, etc etc etc. Thing is whatever THEY did doesn't reflect on the state of the majority of shitt kung fu.

Jones initially studied 'modified wing chun' under Victor Khan for nine years, then briefly under William Cheung in the more efficient 'Traditional wing chun'. Jones modified and evolved the system to what he claimed was a complete effective fighting system.
    So what you ask? What credentials did he have? Well when it comes down to questions about the validity of Wing Chun in real life situations Derek Jones always comes up. Firsty he engaged in many, many streetfights including illegal 'prizefights' that would be held with welsh gypsys. His huge amount of experience in actual cold blooded streetfights is something that makes him stand out. Again I am not talking about warmblooded tournaments, with rules etc, I am talking about real streetfights.
    Been awhile since I have hear gypsioes. Hasn't been long enough, for another street vs ring/competition/tournament debate.

During the 'Wing Chun' wars of the 1980's Derek was challenged by a 'Bob Sykes' the guy who started out the Martial Arts Illustrated magazine. Sykes was also a strong proponent of the 'Wing Chun Sucks' school of thought. They drove out to the middle of nowhere and Jones absolutely took him appart, I have the pics. Sykes had to spend three full months in hospital recovering from his injuries. Apparently he was on betablockers so he kept getting up while ordinarily he would have stayed down.
    Lineage War between two chunners doesn't prove it is effective as a style. Most of the chun problems arise because it is Chun vs Chun and its insular attitude.

Oh and Pics please or it is another legendary "story."

Anyway my point in all this is that kung fu in its true essence is a system free from anykind of 'bullshit', but I agree that for the most of what goes under the title of 'wing chun' or 'kung fu' it is a joke so I dont blame people for their views.

Ok rant over
    *Yawn* Already discussed already known.

Oh I win cheater.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 10:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    We Know you'll cheat. You rant will contain every argument ever heard on bullshido I bet.
    How abou teh real, teh lineage, teh superman instructor, teh sport vs street, and teh legendary story.
    No, no ranting, I have just put forward my opinion. But one things for sure, you are definately going to be arrogant and patronising. OK thats cool two can play at that game.

Yes, of course, teh rr34l WC lineage debate.
    Er no, never mentioned a debate on which was better or worse. I simply poined out that only one school of Wing Chun was presented. And I was correct in that.

According to who? You?

There is no such thing as unmodified anything. Hell, BJJ isn't the same as it was 15 years ago when it started becoming popular in America.

Your best bet is to lurk and read the 100's of threads that detail exactly the same rant, you think you just unleashed to educate bullshido.
    Be attentive mate. I am not debating which is 'modified' or 'unmodified' I stated that only ONE school was presented, under the broad title 'wing chun'. Wing chun includes BOTH schools. Try and follow.

Of course not only is he dead but, it isn't you. Well, so does Bruce Lee, Yip Man, Brendan Lai, etc etc etc. Thing is whatever THEY did doesn't reflect on the state of the majority of shitt kung fu.
    Oh dear, its gone over your head again. Let me try and take some baby steps towards you. My point was that Kung Fu is effective in real life situationsand Derek Jones proves that. Get it?

Been awhile since I have hear gypsioes. Hasn't been long enough, for another street vs ring/competition/tournament debate.
    O dear. I'm starting to think you have attention deficit disorder. Dereks prizefighting history is not a cue to engage in a 'street vs ring' debate is it? Where did that come from? What it does do is prove my point all allong. He was a very good fighter and he was a kung fu practitioner.

Lineage War between two chunners doesn't prove it is effective as a style. Most of the chun problems arise because it is Chun vs Chun and its insular attitude.
    Mate for the forth and final time, get it right for once. Bob Sykes was not a 'chunner' he was a kickboxer. I did mention 'wing chun wars'. Hint Hint. It was two opposing parties, wing chun againced other 'no bullshit' styles. Slow down and actually read what I said.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And about posting pics, well I'll just have to put them on a public url no probs

But as for the fight happening , well its well documented as I found this on another thread, it happened mate

Originally Posted by mad_dog_mac
    Derek Jones and Bob Sykes did have a fight back in the 80's.
    Bob Sykes writes about it in a book recently published about his journey in martial arts which has photos of the two scrapping. I have heard several different accounts including from a past sifu who was there.

It was arranged in Wales of all places in the middle of nowhere. Both parties claim they turned up with minimal back up whilst the other side turned up mob handed ( this includes attack dogs and shotguns from one account). From the photos it looks like there is hardly anyone there. I recognise some of the people and they are standing around looking bemused.

The version I first heard had Derek and Bob trading punches and kicks, it was supposed to be full contact with no protection. Derek punched Bob in the groin, he was wearing two boxes. Derek punched him so hard that he broke both boxes and shortened his arm by two inches. Bob ended up seriously ill for three months and Derek had to seek medical assistance to have his arm pulled back out. They fell to the ground grappling, Derek got behind Bob and tried to gouge his eye out, at this point the fight was stopped. They apparently were still enemies after this encounter although Derek appeared and wrote for Bobs magazine several times after this incident.

Bobs version goes into blow by blow detail, it includes the eye gouge but also states that Bob had his cheek broken. Derek had his trademark leather jacket on and Bob was wearing a very snazzy jumper (circa John Craven 1980's) which he threw off as the fight progressed. Punches, elbows and kicks were thrown, there was some grappling and the fight ended up a draw and both walked away as friends. The photos do seem to show the pair on good terms at the end and obviously both walked away from it.

The martial animal has changed since then and this sort of event reminds me of the first UFC when one style really was pitted against another. Bob Sykes has since cross trained in many martial arts as have numerous other practioners from that era. It would be interesting to know how Derek Jones would trained had he lived past 1990.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 10:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Culled from:
    April is Bullshido Sucks Month - No BS Martial Arts

... also, lol @ "Apparently he was on betablockers so he kept getting up while ordinarily he would have stayed down."
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 10:43pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok rant over
    No, no ranting, I have just put forward my opinion.
    And so it begins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone else lol at the 'welsh gypsys' part? Pretty sure there aren't many native Welsh Roma.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    And so it begins.
    "_ing _un, The Never Ending Story"

I should kill myself now to save me from the pain, because I just know I won't be able to look away from this thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Culled from:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68422

... also, lol @ "Apparently he was on betablockers so he kept getting up while ordinarily he would have stayed down."
    Your point? Sykes was in hospital for three months recovering from his injuries. He was drugged up.

Next

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your point? Sykes was in hospital for three months recovering from his injuries. He was drugged up.

Next

Do you even know what beta blockers are for?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 34 1 234511 ... LastLast