6/05/2008 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thompson interview post Kimbo

from here: http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/06/...s-kimbo-slice/

Interesting quotes..

Yeah, Iím fine. Right after the fight a lot of people wanted me to go to the hospital. Obviously, I needed to go to the hospital for my cauliflower ear but other than that my health was 100 percent. My cauliflower was busted. They put stitches in it and sliced and diced it a little bit but thatís all fine now and thatís kind of healing. So yeah, I am 100 percent.
    Quote Originally Posted by interviewer
    It was kind of strange because the press conference started with Gary Shaw announcing that you were in bad shape and that you had been rushed to the hospital. Then, a few minutes later you walked in and given the circumstances, you appeared relatively fine.
    A lot of people were telling me to go to the hospital; people from Elite. In the end, I just told them over and over again that I was going to the press conference (and that) I would like to have my say and thatís what I did. And maybe he didnít care about that? It was just a bit of a shock.
    WTF? Sounds like they wanted to generate some Kimbo hype and justify the stoppage by making it seem like Thompson was badly hurt. And it was ALL A LIE.

See, that shocked me when the question was asked because I didnít notice any kind of tap. And on the video, he actually kneed me in the groin. Thatís why I turned to the referee. Thatís why I think some people might have thought I said ďDid he tap?Ē
    Not only that, but I had the referee telling me he was going to stand it up if I didnít keep working hard. But at the time, I was elbowing. I thought, what are you talking about, Iíve got his arm pinned? Iíve got his other arm locked down and Iím elbowing him. Iím throwing elbows and youíre telling me you possibly might stand it up? You donít know what to think when something like thatís going on.
    Like I said, it did rock me but I was going to go for a clinch there. I canít tell you what would have happened after that. I say tell you 100 percent that I would have put Kimbo down, I mean, I donít know. No one can tell. But remember, like you had said, I threw 20-some unanswered blows and the fight didnít get stopped in the second round. In the third round, Kimbo hits me with a good four punches (and) Iím still on my feet and the referee comes in and stops it. I think as soon as Kimbo had the slight advantage, he got the nod. Thatís how it feels and thatís how it looks to me.
    I'd say, the fix is in. And I have more respect for Thompson now, and feel a bit bad for calling him a can.

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 12:45pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting that, Matt. You know, Thompson isn't the best fighter but he's got a lot of heart and he didn't deserve to go out that way.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamit, poor guy. That must feel like a shitty situation. He got the shortest end of the stick.

I still believe he could/should have done better, but man, EliteXC certainly tried to make him the sacrifical lamb for Kimbo's e-fame god to devour. No fighter deserves that kind of ****. Anyone willing to bang deserves better.

Shitty, shitty, shitty business right there. For fucking shame.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:08pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me, he was told to go easy if he had Kimbo in a precarious position and they would stop the fight. That is the only rational behind those weak elbows he was hitting on Kimbo.....

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:16pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man.. I almost want to boycott EXc, but... Diaz.. Carano... Shields.... **sigh** DAMN YOU SHAW!

I can honestly say that the best thing about EXC anymore is how good it makes UFC look.

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he was going easy at all. Or else, they wouldn't have picked James Thompson. They chose him because they thought he'd be easy in the first place, and he put on a decent showing. As far as the elbows - it looked like he was trying, just was kinda gassed and didn't have the short power to pull it off. After a few minutes of fighting, everything changes, and he's not the most effective striker in the first place.

Kimbo didn't deserve this either. I think he has potential and seems like a good guy, let's just try to let him make his way on his own two feet though, win or lose. This **** is embarassing for our whole sport. "Ooooh look at the big black man, America! Idn't he scaaaarry?"

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:23pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The elbows, if he just put his weight behind them, he would have KO'd him or cut him up. No way he was that gassed.....

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't fuckin know, man. It's all just speculation. I'm just sayin, if he was in there knowingly and willingly for a fix it's weird the way they stopped the fight in the third round. Seems like it would've been in their better interest for Kimbo finish him with a sub or ko.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    The elbows, if he just put his weight behind them, he would have KO'd him or cut him up. No way he was that gassed.....
    Yeah, because doing so is so easy.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:39pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, Shaw's up there for Douchebag of the month for that.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast