Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 11:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo, MT, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Leg Exercises With a Broken Foot

About a month ago I broke my foot in BJJ class (Don't ask) across the proximal (big toe side) metatarsal through the phalange. So basically it is totally localized to the front of the foot. It's pretty much better but I don't want to risk fully straining it just yet. Clearly I don't want to do squats or deadlifts with the risk of my weight rolling forward onto the front of the foot and doing damage.

I was wondering what my alternatives might be. so far I can think of leg presses or smith machine squats but leg presses are regularly considered a crappy exercise and smith machine squats are supposed to be horrible for the knee joints.

I'm leaning towards leg presses just going with the idea that doing something is better than nothing at all but is it really worth my time? Also, instead would smith machine squats be better because I'd only be doing them for a short period of time until my foot is fully healed? Any other alternatives one might consider?

Thanks in advance.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What woud make smith machine squats better than regular squats?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 3:29pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell us how you broke your foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The leg extension and curl machines- neither involve any weight being placed on your foot.

As long as we're going with the whole "something is better than nothing" idea

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, aren't smith machine squats supposed to be bad for your back? something about shearing force?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:17pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I know what you are getting at with the Smith machine ... that you can control the weight to the heel. not sure how I'd feel about that ... seems like it might work to me. if you go for it, dont forget the safety arms :D

I think I'd be inclined to stick with extensions, ham curls and abductors. If it was a stronger leg with the broken foot, I might be inclined to do some one leg squats ( pistols), and/or calf raises on the uninjured leg.

be careful
    Last edited by muddy; 6/04/2008 4:41pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I have an idea!!! How about not doing anything involving your legs until the fracture heals????

Yeah, cuz, you know, the barbells and weights will be there when the fracture heals. They will not be swept away into some distant dimension while you recover.

Maybe you won't believe me, but seriously, the weights will be there, waiting for you, when you are completely healed.

Just a tought. Seriously, trying to work out with a fracture is just silly.

Let **** heal. You will thank me later.

But if you seriously want to train and are affraid of rolling over the front of your feet while carrying weight, then just keep it simple and do tabata squats for 4 minutes:

YouTube - CrossFit Tabata Squats
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/04/2008 6:15pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo, MT, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I guess I basically phrased it improperly. It is healed, and according to the doctor I can do whatever I want. But I don't think he was thinking of squats and deadlifts when he said that so I was going to try to avoid those things but still want to get in some sort of leg exercises. I'd always heard leg presses were pretty much useless and I couldn't really think of many other options. Thanks for all the input.

And yeah, I broke it drilling inside leg trips...somehow. I guess my tripping foot got pointed straight down then my training partner and I both kind of fell on it together. So no training. It sucks.

Edit: Maybe the thread title should've been "Leg Exercises After a Broken Foot." But that just lacks punch.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, in that case, you stick to squats and deads, but just do them with moderate weight, judiciously incrementing the weights from one session to the next.

Your foot is not going to snap in half if you trip... not unless you decide to go for your maximum lift ever from day one. Build your workouts incrementally and see how it goes. Make sure you do the lifts barefoot, or at least with proper lifting shoes (like chuck taylors). Don't use those uber-padded sizzy basketball shoes pple use in the gyms. Your feet need to make clear contact with the floor to get proper stimulus.

Speaking of which, you should be doing some roadwork, perhaps on a treadmill at first. Your feet needs to get habituated to the impact.

I like leg presses, but I prefer to do them unilaterally and with moderate weight, 10-15 reps per set or 10-15 in rest-pause sets (resting by holding the platform with the leg extended). By going unilateral, it allows me to do a greater range of motion, better stimulus, and, I may be wrong in this, but I *feel* it has better carryover to free weight lower body exercises.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure not to lock the knees when you rest with the weight extended on the leg press.

The leg press isn't worthless, it's just not a squat replacement like a lot of people try to make it. It's got a specific purpose.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69