Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always do your own with casein-rich protein powder (or at least whey) mixed with 5-10g of glutamine, a serving of creatine followed with a serving or two of BCAAs.

Sometimes you can find ready-made post-work out drinks cheaper. At other times, it's cheaper to get the separate ingredients and mix them yourself. You need to be constantly looking for what's on special to save some dollars... or pounds for you tea-drinking, football-loving monarchists.

Shopping around is hassle at first, but once it becomes a habit, you can save a shitload of money. Some nutrition stores have membership cards. Get them and regularly visit their website to see what **** is on special on that week.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:56am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, just wasted a bit of works time having a look around and the myprotein hurricane XS (which is whey protein, creatine HMB, and glutamine) is about $23 which is definitely good for over here.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go overboard with either searching or trying to get the best deal all the time. It can get quite consuming.

There will be times when you might miss buying the cheaper one; you may even overspend once in a while. However, as long as you consistently look for the best deals, on average, you will save money.

And when budget gets tight, just hunker down and get the bare bones minimum, what I call the primordial ****: in order of importance: protein, glutamine, vitamin C, followed by fish oil and BCAAs. Everything else is an accessory that works well provided you eat well and supplement with the primordial **** :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 11:35am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing- if you're out getting wasted a couple of times a week, or not getting enough sleep, or eating junk food, then a lot of this is useless. What's the point of doing all this if your going to toxify your body or not get 8-10 hours sleep on a regular basis? I only say that because I've done that.

There's nothing wrong with a brew or two, every now and then, or a little all night hide the salami, but if you're looking for a magic bullet to replace sleep, forget it. Now, you would think this is common knowledge, but after watching TUF all season, I can see that most guys don't get it, even some of the healthiest ones. I mean drinking binges a few days before a fight? Then they gas- big surprise!
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is it the general consensus that getting too much mercury isn't something you need to worry about while downing tons of Omega 3 pills?

Does the answer to that change if your diet already has a lot of fish in it? (Say, 5-6 servings per week.)

Edit: Oh ****, I just looked at my bottle of fish oil pills and saw a tiny tiny little line of print I never noticed that says it's been distilled and levels of mercury are less than .1 per million. Fucking sweet!!
    Last edited by maofas; 6/18/2008 10:46pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Does the answer to that change if your diet already has a lot of fish in it? (Say, 5-6 servings per week.)
    Different types of fish have different amounts of omega-3s. In that link I posted earlier in this thread there is a list of various fish and their amount of omega-3s per serving.

Just so people know they may be getting virtually no omega-3s from fish if they are eating farm raised or certain types of fish.

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could eat nuts, such as walnuts and almonds- plenty of omega 3, plus some fiber, which helps when you have a high protein diet.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Different types of fish have different amounts of omega-3s. In that link I posted earlier in this thread there is a list of various fish and their amount of omega-3s per serving.

Just so people know they may be getting virtually no omega-3s from fish if they are eating farm raised or certain types of fish.
    I tend to eat sardines for lunch or a snack about 4-5x a week. Pretty sure those are rich in Omega 3s (aren't those and anchovies what the fish oil supplements are made of?), but nfc about the rest (i.e. cat fish, tuna or shark steaks for dinner). Probably not since it's not particularly fishy smelling/tasting (yes, I know I'm so scientific)?
    Last edited by maofas; 6/20/2008 1:37pm at .

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said earlier- I had amazing, amazing health benefits when I dropped the red meat and eat fish- salmon, halibut, etc versus eating "regular", i.e. mostly beef, chicken, pork and fish only once in a while.

I was taking fish oil twice a day, and it had no discernible impact, whereas my triglycerides, cholesterol levels and everything else were better when I did the fish diet, then when I was in my early 20's. Like I said, it's anecdotal, and I still take fish oil, as my family simply would not put up with eating fish 5 days a week.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234