Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, thanks for a good thread (once again) Guys.

I've honestly never taken suppliments (dont even like energy drinks) and I've never had a problem with energy or my health. But looking at my diet i get enough of everything so i think i'm all good there. Well, ok, i probly could cut down on sugar...

Also: we have a small orange plantation- fresh squeezed orange juice FTW. Serious guys- best start to the day.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:22am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    So is it worth getting an omega 3 supplement, a cod liver oil supplement, or an omega 3 6 and 9 supplement?
    yeah...just out of curiosity...what is the word out there on the 3-6-9? That is what I am taking at the moment. It's 1000 mg combo of Flax, fish, borage and primrose oils.

EPA: 270 - 297 mg
    DHA: 180 - 198 mg
    ALA: 675 - 975 mg
    Linoleic Acid: 507- 780 mg
    GLA: 72 - 78 mg
    Oleic Acid: 202 - 444 mg

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    yeah...just out of curiosity...what is the word out there on the 3-6-9? That is what I am taking at the moment. It's 1000 mg combo of Flax, fish, borage and primrose oils.

EPA: 270 - 297 mg
    DHA: 180 - 198 mg
    ALA: 675 - 975 mg
    Linoleic Acid: 507- 780 mg
    GLA: 72 - 78 mg
    Oleic Acid: 202 - 444 mg
    Really not enough in the EPA and DHA side of things.

Man, it is very hard to say take this much or that much of EPA and DHA but you should maybe think about moving into the grams range. A few grams a day combined EPA and DHA.

Or you could do what I do and get about 6-12 grams a day of combined EPA and DHA.

That is one of the problems I always see with people who decide to start taking this or that OMEGA-3 supplement. They barely take any. They treat it like a drug. It is not a drug. It is fat. It is food. 500 mgs a day isn't really going to do you much good.

Sorry about almost going into a rant there. But basically the answer (on EPA and DHA at least) is that it is probably a safe bet to take more. Your joints will at least like you more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 12:00pm

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Really not enough in the EPA and DHA side of things.

Man, it is very hard to say take this much or that much of EPA and DHA but you should maybe think about moving into the grams range. A few grams a day combined EPA and DHA.

Or you could do what I do and get about 6-12 grams a day of combined EPA and DHA.

That is one of the problems I always see with people who decide to start taking this or that OMEGA-3 supplement. They barely take any. They treat it like a drug. It is not a drug. It is fat. It is food. 500 mgs a day isn't really going to do you much good.

Sorry about almost going into a rant there. But basically the answer (on EPA and DHA at least) is that it is probably a safe bet to take more. Your joints will at least like you more.
    wow. i guess i should down hand fulls of these pills! The numbers numbers I put up are per every 3 soft gels. dang... them be alot of pills to be swallowing!!!

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 1:33pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having read that article posted above, you just dont need to take omega 6 supplements, as you get shite loads of it in an ordinary diet. Not sure on omega 9 though!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 11:28pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a balanced diet is all you need. Taking pills or supplements is just pissing money away, not to mention potentially damaging to your health.

Since the dawn of time people have functioned very well under physical duress that far exceeds what we experience on far less nutrition than is readily available today to those of us with internet access.

and out!
    Last edited by EricH; 6/07/2008 9:50am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2008 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    wow. i guess i should down hand fulls of these pills! The numbers numbers I put up are per every 3 soft gels. dang... them be alot of pills to be swallowing!!!
    You might just want to add an omega-3 only supplement so you can get more omega-3s specifically.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 5:01am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to dig this one back up again!

So, I've got a good omega 3 supplement, a Vit B Complex, a slow release Vit C 500mg, and multivit/multimineral. Going well at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    If you are having problems recovering from hard, frequent workouts, consider Glutamine (5-10mg a day at least) as well as BCAAs supplements - this should only be necessary if the workouts are strenous and frequent.
    I've just started lifting weights again, on top of all other work and was now considering a Glutamine/BCAA/Creatine supplement. So, can you get all 3 of these in 1 handy capsule? I cant seem to find any, so I'm guessing not, but if you've got any pointers... In the UK the biggest producer of supplements is Maximuscle, and they do a product called Cyclone, that has this and Protein in it, but its a powder and I'm not enamoured about having to make up shakes at work after working out at lunch...

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 6:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honesty... do you have a Holland & Barrett near you?
    They have ridiculous offers on all the time, and they change regularly.
    I beat bulk internet prices in there comfortably, and I didn't have to buy 4 tonnes of stuff to get a good price.
    Give them a look if you get the chance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 6:16am

Style: MMA/Kung Fu/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get all my stuff from Holland and barretts - been taking omega 3s for over a year now and never paid full price. They have really helped my crap back. Just started taking glucosamine and chondroitin too. Need to look after my joints now I am getting on a bit!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast