Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does everyone think I'm a womanizer?!?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:35am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    "Shape" is another way to translate "Xing" as in Xingyi or Wuxingquan.
    Yes, that to. Forgot about that.

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 9:38am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're welcome.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 10:46am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is remarkably funny how mediocre movies develop large cult followings. This is huge problem in the Martial Art world.

Seagal, Lee, Van Damme, so on and so forth.

Well this kicker came in with a group in what really mediocre movie. Don't get me wrong but, it is still not the greatest of their movies together. Heck, it isn't better than movies that came out during the same time period.

Yet, you check most lists and this movie always seems to be in Top Ten lists.

5 Deadly Venoms:
    YouTube - FIVE DEADLY VENOMS

I enjoy this movie immensely but, it isn't one of my favorite out of all the venom mob movies. Well, one guy isn't showcased until the end. Yet, what a show case. What struck me as cool was, he tends to tower over his costars in multiple movies.

He also had problems keeping a straight face. If you watch some of the movies closely he starts to smile at inopportune moments.

I often wonder how many edits are mistakes or he is about to laugh. Well, anyway let me introduce you to Sun Chien.

5 Deadly Venoms
    YouTube - Five Deadly Venoms (Part 11 of 11)

Sun Chien was great. His kicks were great and he towered over many of his co-stars.

Invincible Shaolin
    YouTube - invincible shaolin
    Really good training in the above clip. You also get some Southern Mantis used in a movie.

People tend to remember 5 venoms when some of his best work is in other movies.
    This was a fun Movie fights, fights, and more fights.
    Killer Army
    YouTube - Sun Chien Fight, great kicks

This following movie I avoided like the plague. I hated the mixing of gun play and Martial arts at first. For me, this is one of the few that got it right:
    Chinatown Kid.
    YouTube - Fu Sheng & Five Deadly Venoms Chinatown Kid End Fight

Here is a nice showcase that will also help me explain why some of the kickers mentioned aren't up yet.

Crippled Avenegers:
    YouTube - CRIPPLED AVENGERS SUN CHIEN

Now some of you are wondering what the heck he has good speed, good flexibility, control, and is in good movies. Why the heck is he lower than Casanova Wong and Chang Shan. Well, for me it is a control issue and point fighting aspect.

I have always hated pointy toed techniques like this:
    YouTube - Deverick Sparring Davin in Taekwondo Point Sparring

No this doesn't mean these actors aren't skilled nor that they cant fight (yes TTL and JL competed). It was an aesthetic vain issue on my part. The earlier kickers would do spinning kicks and stop on a dime. They had a control that I enjoyed and they didn't do what looked like point sparring toe tap techniques. HWJ for example configured his foot in any myriad of ways you can imagine. He'd do the Toe Tap, Heel, Blade kick, ball of foot, push kick, etc.

Also, the forced extension side thrust always bothered me. Yes, I know now, it was for flexibility but, when I was young it made no sense.

Remember personal Preference not skill level except Hwang Jang Lee. He'll always be number one, in my book.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Why does everyone think I'm a womanizer?!?
    i guess getting more ass than a toilet seat and being a womanizer aren't necessarily the same thing, just usually.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Chinatown kid, featuring Alexande Fu Sheng is one of my favorite "venoms" movies, even though they weren't the venoms yet. Seeing all those cats in their funky 70's garb is a hoot. And it still had some dam good fights. Like my watch? It's DIGITAL! LOL Killer Army is a classic too. "You wouldn't have beaten me, IF I WASN'T STARVING!"

Back to TTL for a moment. I saw an interview where he said the reason he went into TKD is because it was the only thing he could find at the time that was full contact! Cool, ne?

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 12:00pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, we have a Choi nutrider in the Japanese kick art thread. Your presence is needed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 12:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Ha! Chinatown kid, featuring Alexande Fu Sheng is one of my favorite "venoms" movies, even though they weren't the venoms yet. Seeing all those cats in their funky 70's garb is a hoot. And it still had some dam good fights. Like my watch? It's DIGITAL! LOL Killer Army is a classic too. "You wouldn't have beaten me, IF I WASN'T STARVING!"
    Good times.

Back to TTL for a moment. I saw an interview where he said the reason he went into TKD is because it was the only thing he could find at the time that was full contact! Cool, ne?
    I believe it. People doing point sparring back in the 60s-70 were not doing the garbage we see today. That's why I make sure and point out, it is me and my perception not a knock on their skills.

Oh I have some good stories, of what I read and saw in documentaries about Joh Liu and Tan Tao Liang. They are lower on my list as kickers but, as actors, they are above Hwang Jang Lee in impact for what they did as Korean Actors.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/06/2008 12:51pm at .

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 12:46pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What always impressed me were the amount of kung fu notables of the time who studied under Hwang Insik.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 12:50pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No doubt. It was like every damn star in CMA cinema either worked with or trained directly under the guy.

Hwang Insik
    Hwan Jang Lee
    Tan Tao Liang

Man if I could have been their student.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast