Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 12:42am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ITF+WTF possible?

I've trained in both styles (ITF for three months, didn't really like the medium contact sparring, so I switched to WTF which I have been doing for nineteen months) and I reckon that the federations merging together will create a much better taekwondo.

Say, we take the full contact sparring from WTF and allow the head shots by punches and leg swips in ITF...wouldn't that be much more realistic?

Also, learning both the poomsaes and tul would give us more variations in strikes to choose from (and its not that hard to memorise - one tae guk typically only lasts around a minute).

So my question is, should they merge together and is there are a chance of it really happening in the real future?

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    is there are a chance of it really happening in the real future?
    Thanks
    None whatsoever. The politics and ego in TKD, like so many other human endeavors, are just too strong. Hell, there are like five ITF's. Let's see if we can get them to reconcile before we consider reaching out to the WTF.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 1:29am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have much to learn my neophyte.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 4:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Say, we take the full contact sparring from WTF and allow the head shots by punches and leg swips in ITF...wouldn't that be much more realistic?...
    It's called 'Kickboxing'.
    Choose your flavour and have fun!
    Personally I prefer La Boxe Française-Savate as a substitute for Taekwondo (even if Savate has lesser kicks than TKD) and Muay Thai as substitute for Kyokushin.

So the choice is upto you:
    - stay in Taekwondo with the positive and negative (ITF and WTF will never merge)
    - Change to a 'Kickboxing' style (each style will also have its positive and negative aspects)

But don't try to change the system, you are not important enough by yourself and you will never gather enough people behind you to make any changes possible in the world of Taekwondo (ITF or/and WTF).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 6:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    None whatsoever. The politics and ego in TKD, like so many other human endeavors, are just too strong. Hell, there are like five ITF's. Let's see if we can get them to reconcile before we consider reaching out to the WTF.
    but they are already having discussions as recorded on magazines like Taekwondo Times....

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 9:22am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but they are already having discussions as recorded on magazines like Taekwondo Times....
    That's like merging two retards with dozens of genetic disorders, you're more than likely to just get a fucked up offspring. Most of the decent TKD are taught outside of the federations or more like in spite of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do these discussions you refer to consist of the federations' respective leaderships asking their counterparts, "What can we do for you to make unity happen?", or do they involve impotent, mid-level lackeys telling their counterparts, "This is a list of everything you're currently doing wrong and will have to change before we do you the enormous favor of surrendering completely to our authority"? I suspect it's more likely the latter. Merely sitting down at a conference table together doesn't equal a solution unless both parties actually want a solution. Look at all the warring nations currently engaging in "peace talks" around the world. Discussions are frequently nothing more than theater for public consumption.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 8:27pm

Style: TKD & HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Do these discussions you refer to consist of the federations' respective leaderships asking their counterparts, "What can we do for you to make unity happen?", or do they involve impotent, mid-level lackeys telling their counterparts, "This is a list of everything you're currently doing wrong and will have to change before we do you the enormous favor of surrendering completely to our authority"? I suspect it's more likely the latter. Merely sitting down at a conference table together doesn't equal a solution unless both parties actually want a solution. Look at all the warring nations currently engaging in "peace talks" around the world. Discussions are frequently nothing more than theater for public consumption.
    Sitting them all down at a table together would likely turn into this:

YouTube - Korean Parliament Fight 22 July 2009

In all seriousness though, unifying WTF and ITF is pretty much impossible. TKD has become so splintered over the years that each faction has some "ancient" axe to grind that more than likely stems from arguments that have happened in the past few decades.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2010 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    It's called 'Kickboxing'.
    Choose your flavour and have fun!
    Personally I prefer La Boxe Française-Savate as a substitute for Taekwondo (even if Savate has lesser kicks than TKD) and Muay Thai as substitute for Kyokushin.

So the choice is upto you:
    - stay in Taekwondo with the positive and negative (ITF and WTF will never merge)
    - Change to a 'Kickboxing' style (each style will also have its positive and negative aspects)

But don't try to change the system, you are not important enough by yourself and you will never gather enough people behind you to make any changes possible in the world of Taekwondo (ITF or/and WTF).
    Yes, thats what I've been thinking. My dojang is pretty good by taekwondo standards (the conditioning is tough, the instructor there is modest and knowledgable and there are multiple hand techniques being taught) but the sub-par sparring system is really a great turnoff for me.

Why am I taught, outside of sparring, about how to use my elbows and knees when its never allowed? Why ban going to the ground when the WTF curriculum (yes, I am serious!) has several grappling moves (but still no ground game...)

To me, thats just silly. My instructor frequently buggers his superiors in Hong Kong Taekwondo Association meetings and what not to try to form a full contact and blows allowed everywhere form of sparring but has never been taken seriously.

Anyhow, what art would you suggest me taking? My parents want me to take something with a ranking system as it looks good on my resume and what not for future job applications....

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2010 8:22pm

Style: Bjj & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take th3 d33dly Judo
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast