Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 12:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Governing Bodies and Rules discussion

As far as I know, the problem with BJJ is there is, in fact, no governing body or council that unifies the schools, rules, and practices. In some ways I think thats a good thing, and makes the art more fluid, but its the major obstacle to it becoming an Olympic sport.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno
    As far as I know, the problem with BJJ is there is, in fact, no governing body or council that unifies the schools, rules, and practices. In some ways I think thats a good thing, and makes the art more fluid, but its the major obstacle to it becoming an Olympic sport.
    There are some big, such as the IBJJF that are pretty big and provide many schools under that banner (as well as the Gracie Barra banner) as well as tournaments, rules, promoting procedures, etc.

Then there are small organization such as organizations that only cover a certain geographical location. A Midwest BJJ Federation or something to that extent would be an example.

Then there are the orgs that are under a specific instructor or group of instructors. Similar to Renzo Gracie, Lloydd Irin, Rickson Gracie, etc, etc.

The downside is that there is no consistency in the rules for tournaments and ranking. The ranking downside is negated by the alive aspect of the art and the fact that if you are a purple belt, you can roll at a purple belt level, etc. As for the rules of the tournaments, they don't seem to be much differences in them in BJJ but in Sub Grappling, they can vary very much. I'm more partial to sub-only tournaments myself.

The upsides to no central org is exactly what you stated. Imagine if Rorion Gracie heading up that org and now everyone had to learn and be proficient in the "Gracie Gift" before promoting to the next level.

I honestly think that it needs to be a mix of a bunch of small orgs and then 1 oversight board that's really only there more so for guidance and tourny's. Their rules are there more as a template for the smaller orgs and as a database for the small orgs as well. This way, you don't have to deal with that whole "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" aspect of things.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 1:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm partial to the proper Jiu-Jitsu rules, because the positional point awarding makes more sense to me than that of a grappling tournament like, say, NAGA. The fact that knee on belly is worth as much as a pass to me doesn't make much sense, nor the fact that side control is worth as much as back mount. It just seems like lazy scoring, rather than with consideration for actual improvement of position. I can't wait till I'm blue, I want to go to the Pan Am's and get my ass handed to me. That should be an eye opener.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 2:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm partial to the proper Jiu-Jitsu rules, because the positional point awarding makes more sense to me than that of a grappling tournament like, say, NAGA. The fact that knee on belly is worth as much as a pass to me doesn't make much sense, nor the fact that side control is worth as much as back mount. It just seems like lazy scoring, rather than with consideration for actual improvement of position.
    I detest NAGA's scoring. Especially the 2 points for a "submission attempt." It's ludicrously subjective. At this year's NAGA World's, one of my opponents got 2 points over me for a ridiculously poor Americana "attempt."

--Joe

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 2:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. They score 2 points for some things that are LITERALLY impossible to finish under that set of circumstances.

I could ATTEMPT to tear my opponents heart out with my bare hands and show it to him before he dies. 2 points please.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the thread derailment. I meant to note that because of the various orgs, I think it's actually harder to BS claiming a BJJ black belt per this thread:

Impact House & Chris Van Valkenburg - BJJ Blackbelt? - No BS Martial Arts

with the setup it is right now than it would be with one massive org based on the fact that the smaller orgs tend to be more of a community; a neighborhood if you will and the larger orgs more of a large business where you are just another nameless face.

Then again, the exception that proves the rule may be that whole Robson P. issue...!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a bad idea.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 3:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks data I forgot to relink this thread to that one.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:06pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want BJJ to become an Olympic sport. Look what happened to TKD!

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAH! TKD went from bullshit to foot tag, I don't see BJJ heading down that road anymore than wrestling. But I do agree that it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing, but it might have benefits.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast