Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:25pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're referring to this, yeah?
    Number 1

I find it easier to support the movement by placing my alternate hand below the elbow. It seems to isolate the shoulder more. You have to focus on orienting your palm appropriately.

With my particular shoulder issues, I tend to click my shoulder a little if my palm isn't oriented straight down.

Number 2

I focus on extending my arm as much as possible, kinda like an exaggerated military press. The important thing is to note the orientation of the hand - the way it's twisted provides the strain and extension of the shoulder.

Try to imagine you are unscrewing a lightbulb with your arm fully extended.

An important thing to note is that lying on your back like that makes it really obvious when you "cheat" by hunching you back or shoulder - which is a natural tendency when you are sitting upright. It's hard but you have to try and keep the rest of your body totally relaxed.

I'm sure my explanation leaves a lot to be desired, but I hope it helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:31pm

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part it isn't bad, but i am really not a fan of "one-size fits all" for rehab, especially of the shoulder. There is a big difference between rehabbing a torn rotator cuff, a dislocation and scap tear.

That aside, I am a little disturbed at the lack of PNF excercises and "shock" methods (weight catches). While these are done in the latter part of rehab, I found those critical to getting my shoulder back to 100%. The other thing is that there isn't much emphasis on soft tissue work. There is little need to do that much stretching if there is a lot of scar tissues or adhesions in the muscles near the shoulder.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a really interesting point. From what I can gather the Pune protocol is a basic system that you can build on by adding or removing components tailored more for the specific injury.

Can you go into a little more detail about how you would alter the program? Specifically some PNF and soft tissue exercises that have worked for you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    That's a really interesting point. From what I can gather the Pune protocol is a basic system that you can build on by adding or removing components tailored more for the specific injury.

Can you go into a little more detail about how you would alter the program? Specifically some PNF and soft tissue exercises that have worked for you?
    As i said earlier, it isn't a bad system. The base is very similar to what i started with.

Sure. Let me see if i can find a good illustration of the PNF exercises (the ones given by my PT were pretty attrocious). The soft tissue work was actually done by my PT, so i cannot really describe it in detail. However, I do know that it focused on removing trigger points and other adhesion mostly in the rotators, serratus and traps (this is probably specific to my injury though).

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meson
    I do know that it focused on removing trigger points and other adhesion mostly in the rotators, serratus and traps (this is probably specific to my injury though).
    So it involved some sort of myofascial release for your Shoulder? Sounds painful but good.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 4:33pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooo, thank you. Speaking as a lightweight who gets stacked compulsively by the newbs, I need this.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    So it involved some sort of myofascial release for your Shoulder? Sounds painful but good.
    Yes, it was painful, but it fixed a lot of problems. Davies' book is a good reference for that stuff BTW (a PT friend reccomended it). Once the trigger points were finally gone (it took multiple sessions), the soft tissue work was focused on getting rid of scar tissue (and hurt considerably more). I only needed to go through a little of that because my injury wasn't that bad. I hear that ART is really awesome for that sort of thing, but i haven't experienced it personally. (A lot of powerlifters seem to swear by it though...)

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    6/07/2008 2:53pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a few of those when I messed up my shoulder... It worked.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 9:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KTS & JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    As a side corroboration, this is all the stuff I'm currently doing in physio for my shoulder. Same stretches, same band exercises. Only additional components I have are some light dumbell work.
    same here. these are pretty much the same exercises I did in PT.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12