Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 10:21pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Excellent Shoulder Rehab Protocol

I was discussing shoulder injuries with a Sports Psych/Exercise Science Student I'm mentoring at work, as my right shoulder doesn't have full ROM due to various grappling related injuries.

He downloaded the attached document for me from the University library. He's had excellent results with it himself (he's a BB Judoka).

The thing that really stands out for me was when he asked me what I do after injuries at training. Basically, I responded, I take it easy, and wait for recovery, and once I feel safe, I go back to training. He said that the majority of martial artists he's asked answer that question exactly the same way. Very rarely do people actually spend time rehabbing the injury properly, and as a result, make things worse over the long run.

Just thought I'd share the Programme, as shoulder injuries are common to grapplers, and other MAists, and the shoulder can be problematic to rehab.

There's a shoulder rehab protocol, and strength building exercises. There's also an informative section on Steroids and their role in the rehabilitation of shoulder injuries.

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shoulder rehab protocol.pdf  

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 10:56pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadmeat,

THanks for this, I'm gonna go through it and see what I can do to implement in my training. I too, am one of those if asked, just rest and take time off. It's 3 weeks now no training, not doing anything than cardio on the treadmill and bike.

Thanks again, really appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome.

Please let me know if you find this program effective. I'm liking the look of it, but haven't been able to plan out a proper way to factor it into my schedule yet.

Edit: Instead of Therabands or resistance bands, for the type of activities shown in the program, I use an old bicycle tyre inner tube - the same one I use to practice uchikomi when I'm at home. For those of use who are over 180 pounds, the tyre tube provides a nice strong resistance level.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 6/02/2008 11:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 12:00pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a side corroboration, this is all the stuff I'm currently doing in physio for my shoulder. Same stretches, same band exercises. Only additional components I have are some light dumbell work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 9:25pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice, I used a couple of the exercises listed in there with very light weights (1-2kg) to rehab my right shoulder a year or so ago, the "sleeper stretches" (can perform similar sitting on a bench with same side leg raised on bench, with your elbow up against the inside of the knee, and the scapula exercise listed on page 13 of the pdf, substituting once again (1-2kg weights)

coupled with stretching, shoulder is 100%, definitely better than the rest only solution

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 9:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I had gone through rehab for my shoulder and have done similar but also used a "BodyBlade". I bought my own bodyblade after using it because it worked really well for my shoulders. Rolled a ball in small circles on a wall with a straight arm out, while leaning against it - 1 min x 3. I also stand on one arm (push-up position) for a minute 3x.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:13am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The protocol is quite good and covers most of the major areas but it lacks enough shoulder mobility work to promote proper muscular recruitment patterns

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What alterations/additions/omissions would you recommend and why?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 8:11am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. Thanks for posting that.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm adding this to the stickies.

One question, though. I'm not sure how to perform the stretches for the inferior capsule, in particular #1. I'm too inflexible to perform that stretch w/o assistance, plus I don't quite follow the picture for stretch #2. If someone could explain that one, that'd be great.

Great finding nonetheless.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast