Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...they have a rigid curriculum - term starts september, grading is mid-June - so basically I missed the whole curriculum and am lagging behind massively until this september when more newcomers turn up.

Empty hand forms very similar to wing chun - some modifications but fundamentally wing chun orientated - wasn't hard to pick up at all.

Very serious atmosphere - not much fun. Instructor was sour-faced, quick-tempered and frustrating - BUT he knew his stuff and despite blowing up did get across what he was trying to teach. I unfortunately arrived on the "revision" day for the students as their grading is next week.

EXPENSIVE AS HELL - 40 euros for the yearly licence - 50 euros a month with upfront payments of 150 euros for 3 months no gear provided for - uniforms not provided - competitions and gradings expected to be attended and paid for.

I only live in the country on and off during 6 months of the year and engaging this martial art seems futile and expensive in this club unless you live there. Granted I took some things away with me I could use on the first day but I found the experience uncomfortable - I felt more like I was being forced into learning the art than if I had come by choice.

Worst of all - the 10th Dan doesn't even teach anymore, leaves everything to his 1st dan technician.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 1:35am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relaxis, why bother if it's not fun?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 2:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was my first lesson. I'm not bothering.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Dog Brothers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lapunti

Damn,
    doesnt sound like a good training session. I think it defently has to do with the school and not the style itself. The guy in the first video is coming to my town for a seminar in june , the other videos look good and seem similar to modern arnis drills -tapi-tapi, multipule strike ect.
    May I ask were in europe are you located ,because IMO my arnis training is super cheap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 10:23am

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like crap, wait....didn't I already say that once?

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 12:13pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relaxis, where are you located? There's got to be something decent and fun near you somewhere.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 11:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu, silat, kali, jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I myself also dabbled in Lapunti. I spent a whole weekend training privately with a Filipino master. A very down to earth, very good teacher. He does more then one system, but his favorite is Lapunti.

Now just so you know. Caburny is'nt the only founder of Lapunti. He had a partner named Johnny Chiuten. They both founded that system together, but Caburney always got all the credit. Johnny Chiuten is half Filipino and Half Chinese. Johnny is as much a gung fu teacher as he is an escrimadore. Johnny is one of the earlier groups of people who trained under Ancion Bacon in Balintawak. He was also hard core into Gung Fu. He studied most of his life in Chinatwon in the Filipines. All the foot work in Lapunti is Chinese. You will find alot of Chin Na ( Chinese Locking ) in Lapunti. Also, alot of empty hand techniques come from gung fu, in Lapunti. Yes, Lapunti is flashy. Abanico means fan strikes, and that is the favorite techniues in Lapunti. So basically, they specialize in fan techniques, which probably favor speed more then power.

The footwork in Lapunti is very funky, they do alot of cross-stepping, very Chinese.

Back in Chiutens early days, he accepted a challenge fight from Remy Presas back in the early days when they all lived in the Filipines. From what I was told, Chiuten went to the location to fight Remy Presas, but he did'nt have any escrima sticks. Remy said, why did'nt you bring your fighting sticks? Chiuten did'nt realize that he wanted to fight with weapons, he thought it was just an empty hand street fight between martial artists. Remy kinda laughed, thinking that was Chiutens way of backing out of the fight. Chiuten started asking everyone there if they had an extra kali stick, or even anything resembling an escrima stick so he could fight Remy. I guess Remy jaw dropped and hit the ground. Realizing that Chiuten was willing to fight empty hand, weapons, or any way Remy wanted, so Remy backed down from the fight thinking Chiuten is some crazy bad ass. ( and Chiuten is a bad ass). Chiuten also went to Hong Kong and Challenged Dr. Leung Ting. Leung Ting would'nt fight. Just so you know, Leung Ting is a wing chun master.

These

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 11:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I myself also dabbled in Lapunti. I spent a whole weekend training privately with a Filipino master. A very down to earth, very good teacher. He does more then one system, but his favorite is Lapunti.

Now just so you know. Caburny is'nt the only founder of Lapunti. He had a partner named Johnny Chiuten. They both founded that system together, but Caburney always got all the credit. Johnny Chiuten is half Filipino and Half Chinese. Johnny is as much a gung fu teacher as he is an escrimadore. Johnny is one of the earlier groups of people who trained under Ancion Bacon in Balintawak. He was also hard core into Gung Fu. He studied most of his life in Chinatwon in the Filipines. All the foot work in Lapunti is Chinese. You will find alot of Chin Na ( Chinese Locking ) in Lapunti. Also, alot of empty hand techniques come from gung fu, in Lapunti. Yes, Lapunti is flashy. Abanico means fan strikes, and that is the favorite techniues in Lapunti. So basically, they specialize in fan techniques, which probably favor speed more then power.

The footwork in Lapunti is very funky, they do alot of cross-stepping, very Chinese.

Back in Chiutens early days, he accepted a challenge fight from Remy Presas back in the early days when they all lived in the Filipines. From what I was told, Chiuten went to the location to fight Remy Presas, but he did'nt have any escrima sticks. Remy said, why did'nt you bring your fighting sticks? Chiuten did'nt realize that he wanted to fight with weapons, he thought it was just an empty hand street fight between martial artists. Remy kinda laughed, thinking that was Chiutens way of backing out of the fight. Chiuten started asking everyone there if they had an extra kali stick, or even anything resembling an escrima stick so he could fight Remy. I guess Remy jaw dropped and hit the ground. Realizing that Chiuten was willing to fight empty hand, weapons, or any way Remy wanted, so Remy backed down from the fight thinking Chiuten is some crazy bad ass. ( and Chiuten is a bad ass). Chiuten also went to Hong Kong and Challenged Dr. Leung Ting. Leung Ting would'nt fight. Just so you know, Leung Ting is a wing chun master.

These are

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 11:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

These are some things about Chiuten I thought I would mention.

Yes, Lapunti is very Chinese, as much as it is Filipino. I have an old instructional tape ( VHS) on Lapunti. Its Ondo Caburny. He is damn good, but you can see alot of Chinese influence in Lapunti when you realy look at it. Alot of flower movements. Even some of the empty hands look very gung-fuish.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry guys. Its Saturday night. Drinking a few, getting ready for the night. I hit something that made it post 3 times. Did'nt mean to do that. Sorry again.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast