Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Shnizzletodawizzle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you seen any CMA that was not on TV? It sounds like you're describing a Run Run Shaw movie.
    Uh… I was exaggerating for comic effect.

I'm unaware of any CMA that tailors thier sparring towards an audience
    CMA tournaments where all grabbing/grappling is disallowed would be a good example.

"Sparring..." with "rules to make it more appealing to a public audience" is called Pride, K1, or UFC. There's nothing wrong with that...but I wouldn't think that description is very fitting for CMA.

Pride and UFC, no. Most non MA people I have spoken with find all the BJJ ground fucking in those tournaments incredibly boring.

K1 or kickboxing or even boxing have more appeal because they have a quicker pace and it’s easier for the layman to relate to people standing up and punching each other.

Some people actually fight with thier martial arts and can sometimes even figure out what works and what doesn't. It's really crazy.
    Why should you have to do trial and error detective work? That sounds illogical. Imagine if doctors or soldiers were trained that way?

How long do you think a system will stay around if it's students keep getting their asses kicked? Do you know how long some CMA have been around. Do you think any of them have ever been in fights?
    Longevity does not equal effectiveness in a modern context.

Can you give me one single example of a traditional CMA that teaches flashy techniques that are non-functional just "to attract students"?
    Where do I begin? I mean there are styles that are outright cheese and there are schools that are outright cheese.

Well if you want an example of a show, how about forms or kata competition? What the hell is the use of that in real fighting? It gets even worse when people decide to modify a form or make their own form so they can win a forms competition.

Some MA should specifiy to their students that the techniques are only for exercise or for entertainement value only.
    Definitely. It would probably save a lot of grief.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "This is for CMA, JMA,KMA and any other MA that claimes to teach you how to "fight" or to protect yourself and spend all their time doing anything but that."

Again, its easy to simply dismiss the above , yet most of the MMA world is based in some TMA or another. And again, most with this opinion can't really pinpoint what it is they don't like without pointing to some vague concept.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "CMA tournaments where all grabbing/grappling is disallowed would be a good example."

This is confused. The no grabbing rule is in KARATE point fighting tourneys. CMA only tourneys feature san shou style fighting.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flashyness sells. Sex sells. It is sex appeal. Everything that sells has it.

Flash will not keep students from quitting because the pain is too great for them to continue in the art. So if most CMA schools are living off of flash, that is a sad state of affairs and I divorce myself from it.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 8:15pm

Style: stand up,clinch,ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what are the CIMA sparring rules?

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 8:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm proud to say that xing yi has had a reputation for being ugly and functional for hundreds of years!!!

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 10:04pm

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Jenfucius
    i'm proud to say that xing yi has had a reputation for being ugly and functional for hundreds of years!!!
    Agree wif u,but unfortunately someone in China has begun to spoil the trend:
    http://www.tntwushu.com/videos/90_ch...xingyiquan.WMV
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Hsing-I form similar to that one. He sucks, no root, no explosion, no...ENERGY or emotion or fucking balls. GODAMN COMMIES RUINED EVERYTHING.
    (it works in theory)
    (then again doesn't it all)
    I'm going to try to post a vid of me doing a Hsing-I form
    see if it's any better. (not now so don't hold your breathe)
    Gotta find a camera.
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 11:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, it is exactly the direction the government of China is taking Kung Fu with WuShu so all I can say is **** happen and happening.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2003 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you give me one single example of a traditional CMA that teaches flashy techniques that are non-functional just "to attract students"?
    Still waiting...you haven't answered.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast