Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:03am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither Shaw or CBS should have any say in the matter. "Officially" its the doctor and referees who are licensed through the Athletic Commission who make those calls. But Elite sure is having alot of suspicious fights in their short existance.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the OP's assertions of fixes, to those of you who think the fights are horrible and boring match-ups, you really need to open your fucking eyes. I was on the edge of my seat the entire night. Carano vs Young was an epic battle, and Lawler vs Smith left them both with it all on the table. Awesome fights, and awesome production value.

Aside from the horrendous doctor calls, I'm pretty satisfied and will be looking forward to the next event.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Ke?poFist, to a degree.

That was easily the shittiest night of doctors/ref calls I have ever seen in modern combat fighting. Holy ****. I cannot believe the Kimbo call, the Smith call. Even the Young call appeared suspicious to me (though Young looked like absolute fuckmeat).

If EliteXC was hoping for a knockout night, I'd say this was definitely not it. Even the announcers were like, "WTF?!" with each fight that was called over.

[CONSPIRACY THEORY] You notice that each decision went to the organization's "poster boy/girl?"[/CONSPIRACY THEORY]

I enjoyed the hell out of the abbreviated Carano/Young and Smith/Lawler fights, but the whole production left me confused, disappointed and suspicious.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:43am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elite tends to book mismatches to promote their poster children. Tonight they had 2 evenly matched fights, Carano-Young and Smith-Lawler. Those were the 2 best fights of the night. Go figure.

I notice Brett Rogers seemed upset he was not booked to fight Kimbo, but the guy he just KO'd was. Those are 2 undefeated guys early in their careers. But Shaw is still looking to book jokes vs Kimbo. It backfired tonight.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:50am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kemp: Not sure what you were watching, but the production values for the show I saw were about what I expect from a warehouse pro-wrestling show in Alabama. The sound repeatedly cut out, the music was tinny, the camera work was bad, the ratio of filler to content was about 5:1. It was a mediocre show made worse by premature stoppages and generally crappy fights. It was almost redeemed by the Lawler/Smith and the Carino/Young fights, but not quite.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone notice like 10 minutes straight of commercials at one point? Might have been before the Smith/Lawler fight. The commercials were way worse than any UFN.

I really want EliteXC to do well. It has some decent fighters. But it's tough to compete with the talent pool the UFC has built over the years.

And it will be especially tough with so many high-profile fights ending with questionable decisions. It may be completely happenstance in this case. But this org cannot afford any screwups at this point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:56am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist
    Aside from the OP's assertions of fixes, to those of you who think the fights are horrible and boring match-ups, you really need to open your fucking eyes. I was on the edge of my seat the entire night. Carano vs Young was an epic battle, and Lawler vs Smith left them both with it all on the table. Awesome fights, and awesome production value.

Aside from the horrendous doctor calls, I'm pretty satisfied and will be looking forward to the next event.

You were on the edge of your seat during the Rogers/Murphy fight?

I think people were more frustrated with the terrible reffing, premature stoppages more than anything else. What was with that standup of Thompson and Kimbo even though Thompson was still active? I dont think anyone thought Lawler vs. Smith was boring (outside of that awful crowd), but everyone was calling bullshit on the doctor call. I think THAT is the part that pisses a lot of us off, and why people are suspecting that the powers that be were trying to manipulate the outcomes.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Kemp: Not sure what you were watching, but the production values for the show I saw were about what I expect from a warehouse pro-wrestling show in Alabama. The sound repeatedly cut out, the music was tinny, the camera work was bad, the ratio of filler to content was about 5:1. It was a mediocre show made worse by premature stoppages and generally crappy fights. It was almost redeemed by the Lawler/Smith and the Carino/Young fights, but not quite.
    I stand corrected. The broadcast was horrible. The flickering out of the video feed to the incorrect time schedule (thus making my DVR not record the Kimbo fight....dammit I wanted that ear pop recorded in HD!!) to the funky camera was pretty crappy.

I was speaking in reference more to the actual show...

The ramps do IMO give the fighters that elevated status when walking in compared to the in-crowd walk in of the UFC.

The announcers (minus Mauro) seemed to try and give the event more of a professional sporting appeal as opposed to the "THSI IS DA UFC!" approach that Goldberg and Rogan shoot for with their unbuttoned shirts.

The opening with Shamrock explaining some MMA basics was an earnest attempt at educating some of the newer fans who may be tuning in to a fight for the first time due to it being on network TV.

The pre-fight fighter interviews gave a clever and insightful look with the well produced voice over workout/heavy-bag/training segment, as opposed to the UFC showing some shitty shadowboxing and grimacing in front of a black backdrop.

Speaking strictly from a design/art perspective, even the lighting and canvas gives the event a more cleaner professional feel to me than the black/gold color scheme of the UFC.

I dunno, I've just always hated the marketing style of the UFC, and am just glad to see some solid competition free on TV.

And having a fighter roster with the likes of; Nick Serra, Robbie Lawler, Gina Carano, Kimbo, Lil' Nog, Yves Edwards, Krazy Horse, Frank Shamrock, Smokin Joe, Ninja Rua, Nick Diaz, and Ricco Rodriguez doesn't hurt either in perking my attention.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 1:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree about those points. In fact, the quality of the prefight interview segments made the crappy broadcast that much crappier by comparison.
    And IMO the fact that they managed such a shitty event with so many potentially awesome fights on it says there is something wrong with their organization, either their matchmaking, their doctors, something is not right for them. If they get their **** together they have potential.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 1:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best part of the night: James Thompson bitch-slapping the ref.

Courtesy of chunkylover63 from sherdog:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast