Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA already is mainstream, that's why it's on network TV. Have you turned on a TV lately? The average person loves violence.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 3:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Ask yourself this? Who other that die hard fans (educated fans or not) really watch MMA?

Seriously, who the **** else but die hard or at least semi die hard fans are going to tune to watch a MMA show from 10PM till past midnight on a Saturday night?
    If your argument were correct, Pride wouldn't have died because their PPV's in their two US shows would have sold, combined, more than a third of a bad UFC ppv. Your die hard fans aren't the important part of the audience.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask yourself this? Who other that die hard fans (educated fans or not) really watch MMA?

Seriously, who the **** else but die hard or at least semi die hard fans are going to tune to watch a MMA show from 10PM till past midnight on a Saturday night?

Seriously, there is so much **** to do on a Saturday night (unless you have children, you live in the middle of nowhere where everything closes at 9PM, or your social life really fucking sucks for X or Y reason), you got to fucking like MMA to stay at home, on a freaking Saturday night, from 10PM till past midnight to watch it instead of doing something else, like going out and ****.
    People who watch it like I did. At a bar.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you go to the bar as part of your plan to watch the event, or did you watch it just by accident because it was being played at the bar you just happened to go?

That is, was your watching of the event something that was planned (because you were a fan interested enough in finding a venue to watch it), or was the watching purely accidental?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you go to the bar as part of your plan to watch the event, or did you watch it just by accident because it was being played at the bar you just happened to go?

That is, was your watching of the event something that was planned (because you were a fan interested enough in finding a venue to watch it), or was the watching purely accidental?
    For this event it was coincidental. I have gone to bars with friends to watch MMA events before.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    If your argument were correct, Pride wouldn't have died because their PPV's in their two US shows would have sold, combined, more than a third of a bad UFC ppv. Your die hard fans aren't the important part of the audience.
    You got a point.

Quote Originally Posted by krood1
    MMA isn't going to grow into the mainstream. The average people don't like the violence. I guess many thought NASCAR wouldn't either so maybe I am wrong. Boxing grew because the times were different and they had larger than life champions in the early days. I think we will definitely see much more MMA on TV and it will grow but I'm not sure how much.
    What? Dude, average people tune in regularly to watch replays of 'Troy', 'Dead Wish' and 'First Blood' (and you'd be surprised at the large amount of women who actually like to watch replays of 'Saw' and 'Jeepers Creepers'.)

It's the type of violence that some people object. They'll enjoy fantastic displays of violence, but when it becomes real, they freak out, unable to differentiate between criminal violence and the violence and aggression in contact sports.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    For this event it was coincidental. I have gone to bars with friends to watch MMA events before.
    Exactly. You are a fan, a die hard fan (like me or most of us posting here) who makes plans to watch MMA on Saturday nights when you are free to do something else.

Seriously, unless we have children, live in a place where there is nothing else to do or our social lives went the way of the dinosaur (because we are in school or we are dorks), if we are not dedicated fans of MMA, we are going to go out and do something else.

Now that I think about it, what I just wrote is an oxymoron.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF is you're definition of a diehard fan?
    Every fat **** who shows up at the sportsbar to watch the UFC while wearing a tapout hat?
    Because those fuckers didn't bother to watch Pride's US ppvs, don't watch the IFL and it is doubtful they'll keep Affliction afloat beyond one or two shows.

Your fanbase doesn't exist.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    MMA already is mainstream, that's why it's on network TV. Have you turned on a TV lately? The average person loves violence.
    Actually it is on network TV because a bunch of guys in suits used mathematic equations to determine that MMA would attract more males 18-35 (read that dudes with income to spend) at a lower cost then a comperable produced show.

Regardless of the programming, network TV wants numbers to show companies so they can say: "HEY buy ads on our network because we attact open wallets"

What is amusing is the UFC dileberately tried to skew the numbers against Elite XC by airing a Chuck Lidell documentary at the exact same time. Had they aired something different, the rating conceivable could have been higher for the CBS show.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
    Actually it is on network TV because a bunch of guys in suits used mathematic equations to determine that MMA would attract more males 18-35 (read that dudes with income to spend) at a lower cost then a comperable produced show.
    Isn't that the definition of mainstream?