Posted On:
    6/02/2008 4:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *cough* Ed Norris?

Former Baltimore City police chief?

Played Officer Norris on HBO's "The Wire"?

Host of "The Ed Norris" show on WHFS?

www.ednorris.com

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    I was just on the Ed Norris show commenting on USA Today's bashing of CBS for airing the fights, as well as commenting in the Kimbo fight.
    How was it dude? I hope you didn't have to debate with a reporttard on the moral issues of human cockfighting.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 8:40pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah. One of the co-hosts started in with Kimbo being a street fighter, but when I brought up that he's now training with Bas, you could hear the gasping. Of course...Bas, El Guapo...please...if that's an example of training with you...Dear Buddha, don't make me regret my hero worship...

The two hosts, Ed Norrs & Maynard, both have extensive MA backgrounds and are MMA fans. Maynard has studied TKD for years, Ed is an old school Kyokushin guy from NYC. Both now train BJJ at Baltimore BJJ & regularly have the head coach there on their show. I had the good fortune, over drinks at a local establishment (Vin, in Towson) to talk MA with Mr. Norris (we both like Manhattans & good bourbon), to talk MA with Mr. Norris. I've been a fan of his for several years (he actually got crime to go down as police chief here in the city & anybody who stands up to Mayor/Gov. O'Mally is righteous in my book.) My admiration grew in leaps & bounds when he mentioned he'd trained Kyokushin for years. Now, there is virtually no Kyokushin scene in MD, so he was completely shocked when he found out that I knew all about Oyama & 100 Kumite, etc. etc. etc. I dropped names from the old school NYC Kyokushin scene like Ninoyama & Nakamura...and he started telling me stories about sparring them....The young lady I was with (a jujutsuka who trains with Maverick) had to keep shutting my jaw for me...

Suffice to say I have joined the vanguard of the Ed Norris army. After all, he was on "The Wire" AAAAAANNNNDDD he knows Kyokushin?!? That's like two steps below sainthood in my opinion.

I was only on the show for a few minutes (call in). I talked about how disgusted I was with old school boxing writers & their hypocritical strawman attacks on MMA, and while I was glad MMA was now on network TV, I had some concerns on how Elite FC was running the show, especially some of the ref stoppage.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 6/02/2008 8:46pm at .

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 8:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With any luck, the fallout surrounding this event will make other networks realize that they can do much, much better.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 1:29pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some early numbers from ELite XC

Early numbers for CBS’s demographic, 18-34 year-old males, jumped 271 percent from previous Saturday night averages. The two-hour telecast also led in ratings for adults 18-49, improving 36 percent from its usual Saturday night programming.

They still don't have the full demographics because the show ran over time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 2:21pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From AOL Sports.They are not suggesting a fix....but....

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...038x1200131222

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:50pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, son of a bitch......

My bad on not reading the post right above mine.

Deleted my duplicate link.
    Last edited by Fearless Ukemi; 6/03/2008 4:52pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:52pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it was fixed. I think Kimbo was told "if the **** hits the fan, work his ear & we'll call the fight".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight fixed or not, what happens next? Unless Kimbo gets really good really fast, he'll eventually lose when they put him with someone more competent. And when he loses, what does Elite XC do next? Seriously. Do they toss him aside and forget about him? Do they continue to try to build their organization around him? Will he fight in the undercards from then on? Or will they act like he's a world champion who lost his crown and grant him an immediate rematch with the guy who beat him?

And if the fights are fixed, how long can they keep that **** up before it starts becoming REALLY blatant?

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 11:01pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    I think it was fixed. I think Kimbo was told "if the **** hits the fan, work his ear & we'll call the fight".
    I watched it again, it does indeed look fixed. Jameison practically paves the way off the ground for Kimbo.
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414748495051 52535455 ... LastLast