...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kava and drug testing

So, a general question has occurred to me. I figure I should ask now and learn about this issue so that in the future if I wanted to, say, work for some police agency I'd know the best way to handle this situation.

When I was in the Peace Corps in Micronesia from 2005-2007 I drank small amounts of sakau, or Pohnpeian kava. Sakau is *not* considered a drug by the Peace Corps Micronesia administration because it plays a very important social role in Micronesian culture. Indeed, not drinking it for social occasions would have been strange and rude. I drank it when appropriate but I usually didn't drink enough for it to really affect me. Also, I don't think that sakau is illegal in the US, considering all the kava supplments you can buy at nutrition shops.

Now, I've heard that sakau, a soporific, can sometimes cause false positives on a maijuana drug test. At the same time, I've never done pot, or any other illegal drugs, in my entire life. According to, http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/drugtest.php

Valerian root is reported to cause false positives for benzodiazepines. Other herbal supplements such as Kava Kava and St Johns Wort may also affect body chemistry such that false positives are produced.
    If I were to apply for a job such as a police job, or certain federal government jobs, that require a drug test, what would be the best way to bring up the issue of having drank some sakau, and whatever chances there might be of that creating a false positive on a drug test?

In this forum people tend to say things like "conceal nothing but don't advance info either unless specifically asked". But since kava isn't illegal, but at the same time supposedly could create a false positive, I'm not really sure what the "best" course of action would be.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 12:58pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well your not still taking it, are you? It would only affect your future drug tests if you plan to continue taking it. It mentions above benziodiazepines, not marijuana. Benzodiazepines are anti-anxiety and anti-seizure medications such as valium and xanax and do not last in your system quite as long as marijuana can.

If you continue to take the kava and are determined to pass a drug test there are a number of detoxing liquids available for purchase at GNC or local headshops that will give you clean pee if you follow the directions to the letter, such as "Vale's".
    ....not that I've has to use them or anything...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I haven't had any kava since I returned to the US, and I don't intend to take it any more in the future. It's a soporific and so it's not really my cup of tea. I prefer things like coffee which basically has the opposite effect.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:04pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are worried about what you drank in 2005-2007 showing up in some future drug test -- don't. That stuff is so far out of your system that there is no chance that a drug test will show any trace.

Most drugs are out of your system in quantities that will show up on a drug test within two weeks or so. THC, in heavy users, can sometimes still be detected up to 30 days after last use.

I wouldn's sweat it.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, joecos. I guess I was just missing basic information on this subject. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:20pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One disclaimer to the above -- if you have long hair, and they choose to do a hair instead of urine/blood test, any drugs will show in the hair that was growing at the time the drugs were used -- it stays there until you get id of the hair.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So shave your head. Right now.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And all other body hair, just to be safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 1:40pm

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    So shave your head. Right now.
    Like Britney did.

& lay off the poppy seed cake, that'll give you a false positive as well.
    Last edited by Who?; 5/31/2008 1:42pm at .