Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Body Protector Pain?

Not even sure if this is the right section to post this....

Anyways, I was wearing the Body Protector and my training partner went full force on his kicks and punches. Each shot hurt, and now there's a minor lump on my left side a little above my hips. Did I put the body protector on wrong or something? Or does this usually happen?

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 12:48pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you aren't used to taking the shots. Was it on tight?
    Me, I never wear one and I do fine. Do more crunches, situps, medicine ball conditioning.

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 3:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of body protector are you talking about, and what kind of class was that?

Was it this kind of body protector:

Or this kind of body protector:

Was it a Muay Thai/MMA class, or a Tae Kwon Do class?

Was it during sparring or during drilling?

---

Sorry for the 20 questions, but training gear is designed for very specific purposes. It may be that your training partner is a spaztard who was throwing techniques outside of the shield's protective zones...

...or the instructor doesn't know his gear well enough.

Or, you may not be used to feeling the impact on a body shield, as a trainer's vest is designed to absorb penetration, not necessarily impact (i.e. think Bulletproof Vest. You'll feel the pressure, but the shield will prevent the strike from damaging your internals).

Also, I'd check the range of motion on your legs to see if his kicks or your reaction (clenching/tensing) pulled a muscle (reasoning for the "lump" on your hip). You may have a muscle knot that an athletic trainer, massage therapist, or physical therapist needs to relieve.

I'd give it a few days. If it still hurts after a few days, your movement is moderately impaired, or you're experiencing moderate/persistent pain...

...SEE A FUCKING DOCTOR AND GET OFF THE COMPUTER.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how to exactly put the image up on this post, but the body protector was from TitleMMA and it was called the Title Deluxe Body Protector. Yeah, he tighten it on me pretty good at the time. Eh, you're right, I'm not used to the impacts since this was the first time I was using the protector. It's not a class, just condition training between this guy and me.

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 11:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After looking at that body protector, I don't believe it's meant for full-bore roundhouse kicks.

Instead, you should be kicking this:

or these:

The body protector you listed looks like a standard boxing trainer vest...which is designed for body punches, not kicks. As I'm sure you've noticed, even the strongest punch pales against a moderate round kick.

Combine that with the fact that you and this guy have no training in how to use the gear, and you're looking for trouble. A qualified Muay Thai/MMA instructor would have screamed at you for taking full-power round kicks to the ribs with that thing on.

Get some thai pads or a punch bag to work your power, and use that vest for body combos combined with punching mitts.

Oh, and remember to see a doctor if your side becomes a problem.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 11:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If this is the gear you are talking about, no.

See, Satori's post.

Did you guys do this without your trainers okay?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Fist
    I don't know how to exactly put the image up on this post, but the body protector was from TitleMMA and it was called the Title Deluxe Body Protector. Yeah, he tighten it on me pretty good at the time. Eh, you're right, I'm not used to the impacts since this was the first time I was using the protector. It's not a class, just condition training between this guy and me.
    And should we assume both of you are also training MT under qualified instruction? Or are you guys just doing conditiong stuff and **** completely on your own????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, that's the one in It is Fake's post. Completely on our own, with no instructor at all, except the occasional videos on the internet. The dude told me it could absorb the kicks.... never trusting him again >__> Well thanks everyone, these answers my questions.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 1:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. Go find a gym and quit using videos.

The guy you train with is an idiot (not you instructor if you have one). See those pads that Satori posted?

There is a reason they are so thick, kicks hurt.