Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Are we talking about the same technique? Because that looks completely different from 00:12 in the baji video.
    That's because it is.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    That's because it is.
    Ah, ok.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    yeah it looks like a valley drop?

You realize this isn't a Shaolin-do thread right?

No Gis in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    That's because it is.
    Now, you mean it is completely different?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct, completely different.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd imagine it'd be easier to pull off in Hapkido; usually no punches to the head to deal with.
    I am a little confused by this comment as we don't have a competition ruleset. When we did spar, we allowed hand strikes to the head. I have gotten this on people used to the TKD ruleset though, so your insight is correct.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meson
    I am a little confused by this comment as we don't have a competition ruleset. When we did spar, we allowed hand strikes to the head. I have gotten this on people used to the TKD ruleset though, so your insight is correct.
    All the hapkido competition I've seen are no head contact. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the standard ruleset.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the hapkido competition I've seen are no head contact. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the standard ruleset.
    That is generally the norm. But more and more organizations are starting to lean more towards full contact rules, I think it has something to do with the explosion of MMA in recent years.

If you want to discuss this further I would suggest you take it to the KMA forums where more knowledgeable people can explain things.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it Join us... or die
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we talking about the same technique? Because that looks completely different from 00:12 in the baji video.
    I had a JJJ teacher who would use this throw with strikes and come in behind you and throw his leg back behind you while bringing his arm across your chest.

Sort of a tani otoshi variation, but I can't find any images that show it.

The throw in the video looked like it might be the same thing.

The image I found is more a stand up grappling throw but the same principal applies.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we were doing alot of wresling yesterday, turns out my trainer isn't really familiar with the throw, but I tried to pull it off a couple times. When I did it on a compliant partner standing square with me, I felt like I barely got enough power to get him down, and when I tried it in sparring, he just grabbed on to my head and shoulder as I was coming in.

So I'm not really 100% sure I'm doing it right, I guess I'll ask jack at the next TD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    So we were doing alot of wresling yesterday, turns out my trainer isn't really familiar with the throw, but I tried to pull it off a couple times. When I did it on a compliant partner standing square with me, I felt like I barely got enough power to get him down, and when I tried it in sparring, he just grabbed on to my head and shoulder as I was coming in.

So I'm not really 100% sure I'm doing it right, I guess I'll ask jack at the next TD.
    I have had guys also try to grab on to me when I executed it. If done properly it won't stop the throw, though they may be able to drag you over with them if they get a good enough hold.

If you couldn't get it to work on a compliant partner I can probably guess why but would need to see video to be sure.

Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last