Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 10:16pm

Style: 52 blocks

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blacktaoist petitions against the UFC

The blacktaoist was served papers to stop using his logo becuase it conflicts with the ufc's and it looks like he's going to fight back with a petition on change.org http://www.change.org/petitions/help...-octagon-shape

Does anyone know what his logo looks like?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 10:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's right below the title of the petition, in the link you provided. If they served him they are full of ****. Next they'll be suing stop signs.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 11:02pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 11:07pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gazebos everywhere should beware.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 11:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think this is something else. i think that the UFC wants to prove that it is aggressively defending its trademarks so that it doesn't get accused of not doing so and losing them.

they probably feel that a *fight promoter* who has an octagonal shaped logo is a little too close and they have to make an attempt to stop it.

i'm not really sure about the specifics of how the laws work, but i read something about specialized bikes going after a small bike shop owner in france over the name of his shop, and their reasoning was similar (although they ended up dropping it and apologizing.)

it's pretty fucking absurd though, i must say. if there is legal precedent which drives this action it's even more absurd.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i think this is something else. i think that the UFC wants to prove that it is aggressively defending its trademarks so that it doesn't get accused of not doing so and losing them.

they probably feel that a *fight promoter* who has an octagonal shaped logo is a little too close and they have to make an attempt to stop it.

i'm not really sure about the specifics of how the laws work, but i read something about specialized bikes going after a small bike shop owner in france over the name of his shop, and their reasoning was similar (although they ended up dropping it and apologizing.)

it's pretty fucking absurd though, i must say. if there is legal precedent which drives this action it's even more absurd.
    I totally agree with the premise, but tilting at windmills could have repercussions for a large company and lawsuits are typically too expensive for a small guy.

I love this example.

I had assumed I could not register Roubaix as a trade mark as it is a geographical location well known in cycling, not to mention the wide-spread use of the term Roubaix throughout the industry," Richter said in a press release sent out Saturday. "I thought I could freely use Roubaix
    and

A simple trademark search would have prevented this,” Koury emailed. “We are required to defend or lose our trademark registration.
    yet

There were lawyers offering to take up his case pro bono, cycling fans raising money on his behalf, Twitter users organizing boycotts against Specialized, and hundreds of others who placed orders for his products. He quickly sold out of Café Roubaix T-shirts, and is hurrying to print more," the Herald's Tom Babin reported.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/retai...oubaix-lawsuit
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 3/14/2014 11:54pm at .

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 9:10am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It's right below the title of the petition, in the link you provided. If they served him they are full of ****. Next they'll be suing stop signs.
    If stop signs are outlawed, only outlaws will stop.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2014 4:37pm

Style: Xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bt was probably swiping from jackie chan adventures instead.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...Adventures.jpg

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/21/2014 7:21am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After the UFC finishes their lawsuit with BT I fully expect them to go after the Daoist monks at Wu Dang shan
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2014 10:29am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    After the UFC finishes their lawsuit with BT I fully expect them to go after the Daoist monks at Wu Dang shan
    I'd genuinely enjoy watching someone argue international copyright law with a Daoist.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast