...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moli
    Why? do you think all veterans are maladjusted Rambos, ready to kill at any time?

Actually, I believe some ex-military are allowed to volunteer as long as they were'nt in intelligence. I think there may be a waiting period though, which would explain why Phrost was not able to volunteer right after he was discharged.

Ronin, re: some volunteers not wanting to eat the local foods, the canned corned beef was pretty disgusting (was it Pacific brand?). I found some of the wierder indiginous foods to be more palatable e.g. Pacific Pidgeon or Palolo (coral worms).
    Oh, you're absolutely right, that the canned meats were disgusting, and yet the locals had cultivated a taste for them back in the 60s. Freshly killed pig or deer or fish or even freshly killed local chicken were much tastier, but living with a host family you'd be more likely to be served something like corned beef and rice with soy sauce. The point of the story was that the rest of us could adjust to that and eat it just fine, whereas this one person just couldn't deal with it in a mature manner, and also seemed to be trying to avoid any and all contact with the actual developing country. Most of us adjusted and ate it because that was the most common source of food.

The brand was Ox and Palm, but I think all canned corned beef is created equal, especially with the layer of congealed fat on top.

Actually one of my personal hobbies is cooking and from my experience I've learned a decent recepie for spam and ramen.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 2:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    corned beef and rice? count me in. my dad puts ketchup on the side, it's delicious.
    :new_all_c

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 3:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moli
    some volunteers not wanting to eat the local foods, the canned corned beef was pretty disgusting (was it Pacific brand?).
    Sounds like Hawai'i to me.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 4:24pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So tired of 'culturally sensitive' pc bullshit.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    So tired of 'culturally sensitive' pc bullshit.
    I'm not talking about in the US! There's a HUGE difference between being "culturally sensitive" for the purposes of politics in the US and being culturally sensitive when you're actually living in another country with a local host family. :angry4:
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 6/04/2008 8:36pm at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123