Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    Another very important issue with getting your clearance is how far in the past you drug charge was. If it was over five years ago I wouldn't sweat it to much.
    No no, you misunderstand me. I've never gotten caught or charged with anything, ever. Not even a parking ticket. But I read in a thread some guy joining the marines started that he shouldn't mention any drug use at all, even experimental use so I was a little worried.

EDIT: Satori, where would I find videos and articles like that? Youtube and military.com?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 10:18pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't matter if you were charged or not. They do a background investigation, they'll find out. Then they'll be asking you why you didn't mention it. Trust me, you're better off with full disclosure.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus
    No no, you misunderstand me. I've never gotten caught or charged with anything, ever. Not even a parking ticket. But I read in a thread some guy joining the marines started that he shouldn't mention any drug use at all, even experimental use so I was a little worried.

EDIT: Satori, where would I find videos and articles like that? Youtube and military.com?
    Oh then I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it was not recent and you wear not using it habitually you have nothing to worry about so you should include it. If it was before you were 16 you probably won't have to mention it.
    When it comes to your clearance the main things that cause problems large debts and foreign travel / foreign contacts, smoking pot when you were a kid really isn't an issue.
    Last edited by D Dempsey; 5/31/2008 11:08pm at .

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 1:19am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how to emphasize this enough: If you smoked pot at all before you joined the military, and need a security clearance, come forward with that information. It's just better. Do it.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm graduating college next year, and I've been giving some thought to what I'll do next. One idea that appealed to me was joining the Navy. I thought about joining straight out of highschool, but decided to go to college first, and see if I still wanted it after I was done. It still interests me, and since I'll have a degree, I was thinking about going for OCS and then intelligence or something to do with languages, which I'm good at.

Anyway, military members of bullshido, why did you join up with your particular branch, and do you feel it was worth it? Has anybody here gone through OCS in any branch?

PS: I've got some prior drug use (nothing hard), should I not mention this if I do decide to join?
    Were you arrested over the drug use? Convicted? These will probably be the main issues here.

Posted On:
    6/01/2008 3:59am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm graduating college next year, and I've been giving some thought to what I'll do next. One idea that appealed to me was joining the Navy. I thought about joining straight out of highschool, but decided to go to college first, and see if I still wanted it after I was done. It still interests me, and since I'll have a degree, I was thinking about going for OCS and then intelligence or something to do with languages, which I'm good at.

Anyway, military members of bullshido, why did you join up with your particular branch, and do you feel it was worth it? Has anybody here gone through OCS in any branch?

PS: I've got some prior drug use (nothing hard), should I not mention this if I do decide to join?
    You need to make this decision on your own, because in the end...you know what you want...we don't. It's like the guy who wanted to join the Air Force so he could become an Army Ranger or a MCMAP instructor. If you're serious about going in, make sure to get a job that you WANT TO DO, and a job that will help you when you get out.

I can't speak for OCS because I was enlisted. As for the marijuana bit...how many people who know about it, are related to you? What are the odds that the military will contact them for a background or reference check. Have any of your friends or relatives been arrested for possession or related offenses? I'd say ask your recruiter what he thinks....but he/she will say whatever is in the recruiting station's best interest.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12