Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 31 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:01pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tae Kwon Do: Originally Japanese Kicking Art!?

Sorry I had to remove some stuff here, but I just wanted to make sure everyone is clear on the topic addressed in my OP:

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger
    To make a few things clear:

*I am no expert on TKD history, but just want as much truth as possible.

*This thread is not meant to make the person who told me this look stupid or mean (he is really a nice guy, but is"strongly opinionated" when he talks about other styles) , but to show his ignorance of other arts, and his attempt to show knowledge of other arts without evidence.

*No. I don't believe this one bit.

*Would like links to find out more on the history of TKD

*Am not offended if Errant moves this thread to the YMAS forum.
    .................................................. ....

I was told by him that:

* TKD was originally intended for JAPANESE soldiers and karatekas to help improve their kicks, and was only ment as such. Not to be its own independent art.

*Americans took TKD back to the states and is the real reason why TKD is so bad.
    (this I sort of agree on)

* Tae Kwon Do, or any other spelling of this word, is derived from the JAPANESE language!?
    (Errant, you know more on this subject by far)

This story, I must say left me speechless for quite a while, until I finally asked, "Well, where's the evidence you have to prove this?"
    yada yada yada .................

Since I don't know this "friend" of his and since he just so happened to forget this person's name when I asked (Some friend huh? Can't even remember his name? Seems to know much of the cloudy past of TKD than almost anybody I know.), he then proceeded to say something on the terms of, "Well you know, it's just "common knowledge"(?) among "smart" martial artists that TKD is just karate with flashy kicks."

more gibberish......................

Though this post may make him look like he is a bad person, he really isn't, and I suspect he told this BS story to me to piss me off, but I'm not you see, because it has prompted me to not be so lazy, and has encouraged me to try and find as much factual evidence on the history of TKD I can get from the wise people of Bullshido.

So, if anybody out there can verify or disprove anything this guy said to me, it would be of much help to me. Also, any links to where I can find information on the history of TKD or othr KMA's would be of much help to me.

Many Thanks,

ZenOfAnger (ZOA)
    It seems as though some posters on this thread have forgot about this, so please keep the OP in mind.
    Last edited by ZenOfAnger; 6/11/2008 5:39pm at .

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:09pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a grain of truth in there (but only a grain as far as I know), that TKD and Tang Soo Do are basically Shotokan with high kicks and some other stuff added in. But the thing about Japanese military application, Tae Kwon Do being derived from Japanese (when in fact that's why they rejected Tang Soo Do as the national sport name-too chinese) is BS, I'm pretty sure.

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    ......But the thing about Japanese military application.....

Yeah. That's the thing that really made me think :question:

The way he put it is that Tae Kwon Do was a kicking curriculum to help Japanese soldiers become better, quicker kickers. I think he mentioned that Koreans "borrowed" this curriculum and taught it to Americans, who then passed it off as an actual martial art.

I don't know how he conceived this to be true.

Atleast he doesn't buy the TKD is 3000 years old myth.

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:33pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. That's the thing that really made me think :question:

The way he put it is that Tae Kwon Do was a kicking curriculum to help Japanese soldiers become better, quicker kickers. I think he mentioned that Koreans "borrowed" this curriculum and taught it to Americans, who then passed it off as an actual martial art.

I don't know how he conceived this to be true.
    Yeah, that sounds like total bullshit. Unless I'm much mistaken, the whole "you never need to kick above the waist" thing is a trademark of a lot of Japanese arts. They're not so into high kicks, while that's pretty much the only kicking a lot of Korean arts do.

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he also said something about him getting some of his info from one of the instructors from his school, and this said instructor he has told me about before,

about how he laughs at people who tell him they take tae kwon do,

how he makes those TKDers fight the best students in their class (if they come to visit the school) even if they aren't anywhere near the level of those students.

I believe he does this to impose t3h d3adly might of SHOTOKAN KARATE.

From what I've heard of him, he seems to be good at fighting, but he is made out to have little to no respect to those who take other arts, especially TKD.

Hopefully I had misheard him and actually this guy just likes to give people a challenge when they fight, but I'm not quite decided.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 12:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Atleast he doesn't buy the TKD is 3000 years old myth.
    What he is saying isn't any better so, there really is no "at least."
    No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Pre-occupation KMA Question
    No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Pre-occupation KMA Question
    These post should help.

Pre-occupation KMA Question - No BS Martial Arts

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Yeah, that sounds like total bullshit. Unless I'm much mistaken, the whole "you never need to kick above the waist" thing is a trademark of a lot of Japanese arts. They're not so into high kicks, while that's pretty much the only kicking a lot of Korean arts do.
    Kyokushin and other forms of full-contact Karate have high-kicking KOs. They do not emphasize this sort of thing as much as does TKD because they emphasize a more rounded-out striking game (and some styles, like Enshin and Daido-juku, also include grappling and throwing).

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    What he is saying isn't any better so, there really is no "at least."
    [

Good point. Didn't think about that at first.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 2:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Chinese characters for Taegwondo were actually not translated as "Kick Punch Way" until after the art was standardized, ie. well after the Japanese occupation. "Tae" actually refers to stomping or crushing something underfoot, like stepping on a bug, not kicking someone in the face.

If there is a historic record of a single Japanese military curriculum focused around high kicking, I'd be very interested in the evidence, especially considering that the majority of Koreanized kicking techniques evolved post-Occupation, and the Dangsudo/Gongsudo kicking curriculae immediately post occupation were very much Shotokan & Shudokan.

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 8:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    If there is a historic record of a single Japanese military curriculum focused around high kicking, I'd be very interested in the evidence...
    Videos abound of Japanese Olympic figure-skaters and ice-dancers.

That would be military figure-skating and ice-dancers, since everyone knows that the Japanese are 'militaristic' about everything.

Given the <ahem> striking similarities, I would hazard a guess that these activities were the direct precursor to Olympic TKD.

'Cause everyone knows everything that's "Korean" originated in Japan.

Except Chaebols. And Kim Sung-Il. And his brilliant son. And Sung Myung Moon. And Kim Un-Yong. And Tae Yun Lee. And...
Page 1 of 31 1 234511 ... LastLast