Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:00pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to box but have concerns.... advice?

Mods, if this belongs elsewhere please feel free to move it.

Some background, I took two and a half years of Wing Chun from a Sifu who had been a boxer in his younger years. We did a fair amount of boxing-esque striking and pad work in class. I really enjoyed this. I have been toying with the idea of taking up a striking art to complement my BJJ and Judo. However I have the following concerns.

One, I detest kicking. I just can't do it. I have poor balance and limited flexibility. Both could be solved with training I understand but I'm just generally opposed to the idea of MT or Kick boxing.

I took several MMA sessions at my BJJ gym and found them enjoyable but I really prefer training and rolling in a Gi and don't feel the need to compete in an MMA style format. So I am looking for straight boxing.

But now we come to my concerns, due to a severe, but corrected, bilateral strabismis in my left eye (read horizontal lazy eye) I have zero depth perception. This fact is one reason I was drawn to WC, the whole idea of "sticking" and depth not being as important.

So, I want to box, but I have no depth perception. Is this a reason not to pursue boxing? Should I try anyway?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it a try and find out if it's a problem.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what I'm tending towards.... but.... oh hell I don't know. Just worried about going in there and looking like a fool. I mean I miss pads because they are too far away and I can't tell!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're afraid of looking like a fool, martial arts aren't for you. Neither is any other sort of sport, education, travel, etc etc. When you try new things, you'll always look stupid. Give it enough time and it'll go away.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    true, but the concerns are still there. I'm waiting for life to calm down a bit, graduation is in a month then I can start seriously looking for a gym. Right now school, work and Judo take all my time. I'll be sure to post any idiocy or hilarity that ensues.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:49pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep your head up man. Everyone looks the fool at one point. Its not worth lossing any sweat over.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 4:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not so much sweating as just general worry. Hell I've started two new martial arts in the past year and a half.... I'm getting good at looking stupid.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 5:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I used to know a guy who couldn't see a thing without his glasses but still managed to kick people's asses when it came to sparring. It might take you a little while to get used to the change of pace, but it shouldn't be all that bad.

Off Topic: Where do you train? I live near Syracuse and I've been looking for a good BJJ or Judo place around here for a while and I haven't really been able to find any. (would've sent this in a PM but apparently I'm not allowed to PM people. Sadface.)

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 6:43pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should just focus on the arts you have just started? Pun slightly intended?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 7:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a legally blind striker for a while until i had eye surgery. I had depth perception of sorts though, so i may have been better off then you...i dunno. Everything was fuzzy for me past about a foot, but i could still tell shapes.

You will probably eat more strikes then everyone else, I know I did. But i found i tended to do pretty well in the clinch. Though boxing clinches are pretty limited.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast