Posted On:
    5/30/2008 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    I was wondering about this.

Eat more time throughout the day, with smaller portions to keep my metabolism going?
    Smaller portions, ideally with increased protein and decreased carbs as you get closer to your bed time. One good rule of thumb is to make your meals 1/3 protein, 1/3 complex carbs, and 1/3 greens (micronuked brocolli being king.)

I probably am putting on muscle so weight may not be the best measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    But I also go by my gut, and proto double chin.

This sums up my problem is that I think my diet is good for building muscle mass but not for getting rid of flab and loosing weight.

Were I to get down to my ideal weight 190 then it would probably be good for maintenance.

I know there are weight loss diets out there, but they're usually low carb which isn't good for having energy in class.

So to me it's a timing issue of what to eat and when to eat.
    Yeah man, stay away from those weight loss diets crap things.

Asriel's suggestion of porridge with peanut butter is spot on. You can also add some yogurt on it. This breakfast should give you a good amount of fat which is always needed.

Then you can try eating lean animal protein (no red meat, or chicken tights, just chicken breast), baked or boiled preferably. Don't focus on weight loss but on reducing your waist line. Better yet, keep a log of what you eat, down to the cup of coffee. Put it on excel or something. It's tedious, but in one week, you'll have a clear picture of how much you are eating and at what time. You really need to do this.

There are some products out there that work (with some caveats). I strongly recommend Xenadrine about 1 hour before going to jits. Since you are doing the jits at noon, using Xenadrine will not interfere with your night sleep (as opposed to taking it before jits at night.)

But be careful, start with one cap a day and increase little by little. Never go over 4. Assess your tolerance.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 2:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 3:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 5:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or give this a shot: www.thedailyplate.com

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 3:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I stopped by the supplement store I go to sometimes on my way back from afternoon BJJ.

Turns out the owner is a BJJ Brown Belt !! Lol

He has a belt he won at Joslins (a big tournament here) on his wall

anyways I spoke to him about my issues and he recommended taking the protein shake after I go to BJJ and taking this in the morning

http://www.axislabs.net/p-BCA01.htm

And nothing else.

so we will see what the results are.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh.

He pressed a high priced, name brand supplement on you.

I did that once, then realized I could get the isolated ingredient as a store brand for a third of the price.

I hope it works out for you.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goju, regarding BCAAs, write down the target amount (in mg) of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine per serving (should be about 1500mg for leucine, and 800-1000mg for isoleucine and valine). Write down the number of servings per bottle and compute the cost per serving.

Then shop around to see which one gives you the most bang for your buck. BCAAs are BCAAs and as long as you get the target amounts per serving, the brand doesn't matter.

I for one recommend BCAA Plus by ProLab.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/bcaaplus.html

It's usually one of the cheapest and most convenient bottles. Heck, it's not only cheaper (while delivering comparable amounts of BCAAs per serving), but it also contains Vitamin C and B-6.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 6:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Goju, regarding BCAAs, write down the target amount (in mg) of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine per serving (should be about 1500mg for leucine, and 800-1000mg for isoleucine and valine). Write down the number of servings per bottle and compute the cost per serving.

Then shop around to see which one gives you the most bang for your buck. BCAAs are BCAAs and as long as you get the target amounts per serving, the brand doesn't matter.

I for one recommend BCAA Plus by ProLab.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/bcaaplus.html

It's usually one of the cheapest and most convenient bottles. Heck, it's not only cheaper (while delivering comparable amounts of BCAAs per serving), but it also contains Vitamin C and B-6.
    That's WAAAAYYYY cheaper than the bottle I bought.

Although this stuff says "BCAA Ethy Ester is an extremely soluble form of BCAA resulting in significantly better absorption and effectiveness"

I have no idea if that's true though.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 7:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, those minor details only count if you are fully engaged in been a manly bodybuilding beefcake, and everything you do in training is for that end.

For most of the people out there who do other sports and for whom weight training is for strenght gains (and not ultimately to be huge), it's not an issue. Use the bottle as prescribed (don't take less than what's indicated, otherwise it won't do quack.)

Same with glutamine, ZMA, l-carnitine, l-arginine, creatine and NO products. For anyone not being a competitive bbuilder, all brands more or less perform the same.

I'd also suggest you buy in bulk from bulknutrition.com, for example, or from Vitamin Shoppe if you have a chain like that in Canada (I payed for an annual membership card, and I save about 15% everytime I shop there.)

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    myprotein.co.uk is extremely cheap but I'm not sure if they ship internationally
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast