I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 9:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breakfast shake and BJJ

So here's my thing, my main source of exercise right now is BJJ, ideally I am trying to go to three, one and half hour classes a week so four and half hours of training.

My health goal is to increase my cardio and drop about 10 - 15 pounds. I fluctuate between 205-210 right now and ideally I want to be 190 or even 185.

Because all my BJJ classes are in the afternoon I have been have protein shakes for breakfast, using protein formula's that have amino acids as well as glutamine and taking fish oil (yuck) calcium magnesium and some other vitamins.

In the protein shake I put a banana for potassium to prevent cramps and some frozen strawberry's for flavor and use "Rice Dream" for the liquid.

While this seems to work for energy and muscle recovery I don't seem to be loosing weight and am stuck around 205 the problem might be that I have this around 8 and go to BJJ at noon, and in that time I my body might be metabolizing the protein and sugars from the fruit.

I was told by someone that I should be having the protein shake 1/2 an hour after I exercise while my metabolic rate was up not in the morning and to cut out the fruit because of the sugar.

The problem is I am not sure what I should be eating or blending in the morning so I have energy for grappling if I cut out the fruit and protein.

Any thoughts anyone?

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 10:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What else do you eat in a day?

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well that's another issue, I don't too eat badly and have cut out fast food and a lot of processed stuff.

The other problem is if I have a shake for breakfast I don't eat until after BJJ so I have lunch at about 2:00 and I am usually hungry and I think over eat, so that my healthy tuna sub from subway is a foot long instead of a 6 inch sub (with chips and juice)

So from now on I am just getting the 6 inch sub and no chips or fruitopia.

OR I am going to move the protein shake to lunch time.

But then I need something for the morning that will give me energy for BJJ, something with carbs BUT won't make me fell loogey while some fat ass knee on bellys me.

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Switch to creatine maybe?

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 12:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said you're doing BJJ as your primary exercise source.

In rereading some of your posts, I believe you've only been doing BJJ for two months or so. Hence, you might be in that weird period of acclimation where your body is putting on muscle. Of course, some BJJ schools are more physically intense than others, so I can't judge that. Macho Man could tell you more on that.

This seems like common sense, but it will help you to supplement with some light lifting and cardio. I train 5-6 days a week (and my instructor spends over an hour on conditioning alone), but I still follow a modified Armstrong Pull Up Program (requires 10 minutes an evening) and run/climb hills for 20 minutes every morning (get up 20 minutes earlier). I have a bunch of injuries, and I'm NOT an athletic specimen...meaning if I can do it, you can do it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you aren't eating enough or often enough to lose weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 12:49pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe

The problem is I am not sure what I should be eating or blending in the morning so I have energy for grappling if I cut out the fruit and protein.

Any thoughts anyone?
    I dont think the timing is going to have a huge effect on body fat loss.

But you should be heavier on the carbs in the morning and make sure you get plenty of protein throughout the day. Some folks take a fast protein (like whey) right after working out (I do this) and Some like to take a slow protein (like Casein) before going to bed (I drink milk often before bed).

In the end, its all about calories in and calories out as far as bodyfat goes for the most part. IMO you only have a couple choices to lose significant bodyfat if you arent with the current regime.

1) eat less (but keep the protein up to 1g/lb bodyweight) cut alcohol and sugar first. keep enough carbs to fuel your workouts. eat small frequent meals.
    2) do more cardio
    Last edited by muddy; 5/30/2008 12:53pm at .

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 1:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    It sounds like you aren't eating enough or often enough to lose weight.
    I was wondering about this.

Eat more time throughout the day, with smaller portions to keep my metabolism going?

I used to be like this. I used to be scrawny.

Also an increase in cardio work out for sure.

Also

You said you're doing BJJ as your primary exercise source.

In rereading some of your posts, I believe you've only been doing BJJ for two months or so. Hence, you might be in that weird period of acclimation where your body is putting on muscle. Of course, some BJJ schools are more physically intense than others, so I can't judge that. Macho Man could tell you more on that.

This seems like common sense, but it will help you to supplement with some light lifting and cardio. I train 5-6 days a week (and my instructor spends over an hour on conditioning alone), but I still follow a modified Armstrong Pull Up Program (requires 10 minutes an evening) and run/climb hills for 20 minutes every morning (get up 20 minutes earlier). I have a bunch of injuries, and I'm NOT an athletic specimen...meaning if I can do it, you can do it.
    I probably am putting on muscle so weight may not be the best measurement.

But I also go by my gut, and proto double chin.

This sums up my problem is that I think my diet is good for building muscle mass but not for getting rid of flab and loosing weight.

Were I to get down to my ideal weight 190 then it would probably be good for maintenance.

I know there are weight loss diets out there, but they're usually low carb which isn't good for having energy in class.

So to me it's a timing issue of what to eat and when to eat.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short intense bouts of cardio will keep your metabolism going like the clappers.

Also, have Porridge (Oats) in the morning with Peanut Butter in it. This will give you low GI carbs that drip feed you energy throughout the morning as well as Protein and (good) fats.

Maybe some wholewheat pasta with tuna or chicken at least 2 hours before training?

Personally, I think you should also eat every 2-3 hours but reduce the portion size so you're eating 6-7 small meals a day.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast