Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 12:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Popeye Arms

I've been practicing BJJ for about 4 weeks now and after every session, my forearms are sore. I've noticed they've become a lot bigger too. Does this happen to any of you? Is this a side-effect of BJJ; cauliflower ears and Popeye arms?

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 12:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my god... I just had the worst mental image...

*not an expert!!!*

Moving on though, do you ever do alot of rockclimbing, block (farm) work or a deal of mechanical sort of things? If not, this is why, your new muscles are just shocked at being there. It'll wear off. If you have, maybe you're doing some of the grips wrong?

Oh, and this may be more suited to the physical training and thingy forum, methinks, but leave it here now. It wouldn't be something that is BJJ only, i'd imagine.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 3:10am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you'll be less sore once you stop holding on for dear life. it's really not necessary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 6:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your arms have gotten noticeably bigger from doing BJJ, you must have had pretty puny arms to start with?!

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 7:18am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you eat any spinach recently?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, no rock climbing.

Maybe I am holding on too tight.

No, I don't have puny arms, they've always been beefy, and they same to have gotten beefier.

No spinach, but I love the stuff.

I realize I got put in Gitmo again, sorry Mod Gods, I'll make sure to search for the right forum, I just thought it was a BJJ related post is all.

This is fucking hilarious >>>:homo:

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume you already know this, but on the off-chance that you don't:

The "holding-on-for-dear-life" scenario is accurate. It's not only the muscles of the wrists that are in the forearms, but the muscles controlling every movement of the hands and fingers. Grab your left forearm and wriggle your left-hand fingers. You'll feel the muscles, as well as the tendons which transmit those muscles' force to the digits. The origin of all that motion is there, in the forearm, pulling the digits (and the hand at the wrist) via tendons, like a puppeteer uses strings to move a puppet. No matter how long the strings are, it's the puppeteer that does the actual, physical work.

Your grip has no muscle tissue IN it; the force all comes from the forearms. The more demand is put on the grip, the more muscular adaptation (hypertrophy) will occur in the force generating muscles in the forearm.

As stated, you likely know this , but just in case...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tsnames, they may look, I dunno, perhaps more solid or vascular. Or you are visualizing a perceived increase in strength. That is, you may be imagining it.

The only way to know for sure is to keep a log of your measurements before and after. Otherwise, it's subjective. For a forearm to look 'a lot bigger', we are talking about an increase in diameter of at least an inch (more if the forearm is big already.)

Anyways, the gist is that noticeable size gains in four weeks is not unheard off... when specifically training for size (brutally and effectively and with the proper diet.). I guess it's possible with grappling, but very unlikely.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2008 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My forearms haven't gained an inch in diameter, but there is a noticable difference. It's no concern of mine, if my arms get big, they get big, oh well.