Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a semi-related note, how acceptable is to be slamming people down to break their guard, in particular a higher belt doing it on a white belt? Serious question.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 9:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Side note: I was told to use flippers in the pool with a kickboard for rehab. Does that seem about right?"

You sound like you may already know this but it probably depends on what your kick looks like.

A technically good freestyle kick starts in the hip and has very little knee bend. Beginners tend to have a lot of knee bend. (But flippers tend to straighten out peoples leg and get them to kick from the hip).

I'd second talking to your PT but have an idea of what kind of kick you have. (If your really keen, get someone to film you on a cellphone). I don't know what movement you're looking for but it may make a difference. There is a dramatic difference between the two movements.

Good luck with the MRI.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 5:23pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *UPDATE*

So, I've got a first degree sprain, as per the MRI. The PA tells me to keep it on the low for at least six weeks. I hate the PA.

I've figured out that I can't really get around too well without a knee brace on. I've taken it off a few times to see what would happen and I basically felt like I was going to fall down. My PA (the bastard) told me that I could expect some degredation in ability through lack of use. He wasn't really kidding. It feels like jello to not have the brace on. I thought that much like what happens when you're a kid that I'd get a little hurt, rub some dirt on it, and be on my way shortly. It's only been a week since it happened, but except for the fact that there is limited pain, there is a considerable impact on mobility/stabilty.

In short, I'm a gimp and an easy target. I couldn't outrun a quadraplegic laying on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 6:38pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    On a semi-related note, how acceptable is to be slamming people down to break their guard, in particular a higher belt doing it on a white belt? Serious question.
    in regards to bjj, at my gym, that would be unacceptable, and i wouldnt feel bad punching some in the face who did that me. our instructure would definitly have words with them.

at one of my first practises i did this very thing, didnt know better, picked him up and slammed him like i saw in MMA, instructor hit me in the head with a shinai (sp?)

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 5:08pm

staff
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7thSamurai: I'm in Austin as well. Tried to PM you but was unsuccessful. Where do you train BJJ? Feel free to email me, georgetteoden at yahoo.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123