Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 9:04am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I scheduled an appt with the Doc for the beginning of next week.

Then a couple of my friends called to see if I was going to make it to class. I thought I'd go to see how I felt.

Everything was fine. I didn't feel any fatigue and was actually quite happy with how things were going. Then...

...you know how people are always complaining about the white belt spaz thing? You know how you higher ranking people like to choke a white belt out and stuff?

I wound up being the last person to rotate in to take the bottom position for a drill. So this blue belt, we'll call him Muscles McSlammalot, gets down to take his position. I got my underhooks like I was told to go and waited. As he starts to take his position I notice he's really tensed up and holding on to me like the he'll fall off the face of the planet if he lets go.

So the instructor says go.

Muscles McSlammalot picks me up off of the floor and slams all of his body weight on to me. I think, "Wow, that was shitty" as he goes to do it again. So I break my guard cause I don't want to get slammed again and he drops down to my leg where he does something, I don't know what, and my knee goes POP. It was an audible pop. He heard it. I heard. The instructor heard it.

So there's no noticeable swelling, but a great deal of pain. The knee extends and contracts (with pain) and I cannot pivot on my left leg at all. I'd prefer not to walk on it, but I can. IT just takes time.

I'm trying to see if I can get in to the Dr today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 1:22pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck dude hope no major damage. Maybe some hyper extension of your knee is all
    let us know

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After xrays and a MRI, it's been determined that I have damage to medial collateral ligament with further diagnosis once the full results are in to the doc.

Yeah for me.

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:16pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry to here that seriously I hope that no surgery is required

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/30/2008 11:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    After xrays and a MRI, it's been determined that I have damage to medial collateral ligament with further diagnosis once the full results are in to the doc.

Yeah for me.
    Dude. that just sucks.

Take this as an opportunity to have your doctor run your bloodwork for different screenings and use this as a chance to let your body heal up.

Sorry, bro.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 3:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu jitsu, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what a fucking punkass. If i were u i would choke the **** out of him when u get better. maybe hold on to a rear naked a second or 2 longer like bj penn. anyway sorry to hear bro just rest up

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 3:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow...that sounds like a situation where you need to speak with the instructor about this moron. This guy could cause all sorts of lawsuits and such.

A Blue Belt intentionally causing knee injuries to a white belt?

Totally unacceptable.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that guy sounds like a proper dick, even more so that he is higher ranked. I would refuse to roll with him again, in fact get everyone to refuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've been thinking about how to approach this or if I should even bother. I like the school and the instructor alot. That said, I never met the guy who I was rolling with when this occurred and don't intended on rolling with him again. I feel like if I were to find myself in a similar situation with the same partner that I might accidentally put a heel upside his temple, however, that would not be very cool and I'd rather avoid drama. Being new to the school and style, I'm hesitant to start making waves or come off like I'm whining about something.

I've considered taking some private lessions just to have some one-on-one time with someone who could devote sufficient time to explain to me positions/transitions/etc thoroughly. I know that in a large school that it's hard to devote time to one student (a white belt at that) while other students (some of higher rank) are paying customers who are trying to get the same high quality training that I'm looking for. I feel like my error in this situation was to assume my partner understood my level of newbness and would roll accordingly.

I get the results back from my MRI tomorrow morning. The pain is generally gone except for the random shot that happens occassionally. It feels a bit like it could give out going up or down stairs. I guess it feels, "weak" if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'll update after my consultation tomorrow.

Side note: I was told to use flippers in the pool with a kickboard for rehab. Does that seem about right?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 4:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Well, I've been thinking about how to approach this or if I should even bother. I like the school and the instructor alot. That said, I never met the guy who I was rolling with when this occurred and don't intended on rolling with him again. I feel like if I were to find myself in a similar situation with the same partner that I might accidentally put a heel upside his temple, however, that would not be very cool and I'd rather avoid drama. Being new to the school and style, I'm hesitant to start making waves or come off like I'm whining about something.

I've considered taking some private lessions just to have some one-on-one time with someone who could devote sufficient time to explain to me positions/transitions/etc thoroughly. I know that in a large school that it's hard to devote time to one student (a white belt at that) while other students (some of higher rank) are paying customers who are trying to get the same high quality training that I'm looking for. I feel like my error in this situation was to assume my partner understood my level of newbness and would roll accordingly.
    First, everyone should have an attitude like this. Guys that respect the flow of the school are the ones nobody else minds working with during open gym, because you know they appreciate it and know they will hang around.

Perhaps when your knee is ready, go back to a group class and take it a little easy. Everyone knows what happened and should be OK with you easing in. Your training partner *should* feel shitty for what happened and I would expect him to approach you and offer amends. Whether you decide to ever partner up with him or not is up to you, but he should man-up and at least shake your hand. If he doesn't, don't worry about it, be the bigger man.

If you can't mentally keep up at group, try a couple of privates to get your head into the basics. By being game and getting back into it after a hard injury, nobody will question your resolve or dedication, and it shows you are serious about wanting to do this and not wanting to impact everyone else's training. If you explain it to the senior instructors as you did here, they should be OK with this and really, nobody wants drama.

I get the results back from my MRI tomorrow morning. The pain is generally gone except for the random shot that happens occassionally. It feels a bit like it could give out going up or down stairs. I guess it feels, "weak" if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'll update after my consultation tomorrow.
    I'm 3 or 4 month after messing up my foot and it still hurts and I have to wrap it like a mummy to train.

A few days after a huge "pop"......it is weak and should feel weak.

Side note: I was told to use flippers in the pool with a kickboard for rehab. Does that seem about right?
    Reconnect with your PT or doctor and make sure you heard the instructions properly.
    The flippers will increase resistance which will begin increasing strength, but it seems a little much this soon.

But yeah, whatever your doctor and PT tell you to do, I can't counter it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast