Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 2:02pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ridiculously fatigued/exhausted/tired

This could be kind of long, but I want to put enough information in so smart people can offer advice...

So I played soccer all through college and ate like a race horse. But instead of eating like a healthy race horse, I ate crap (most noteably Taco Bell and JITB). Before graduating in December of 2006, I had consistent TKD classes for 2-3 hours a day, 4-5 times a week. After graduating and realizing that TKD was crap, I stopped training for soccer and going to TKD altogether. Life/reality reared its ugly head and I had to get a job. For the whole year of 2007 I at most played occassional pick up games of soccer at the park (maybe twice a week) until it got cold and work/grad school prep stuff started happening.

In December of 07, I started BJJ. It didn't last long since I made a choice to pay for my dog's health over my training. Since he was recently put down, I started training again (for about three weeks).

During the Spring semester, I took a class on nutrition which shocked me into a healthy(er) diet than I was previously engaged in. I basically cut out processed foods, eat lots more vegetables, and stick to water, fresh juices, and milk for beverages. I run things through Nutrition Pro and try to make the numbers add up. I'd like to eat smaller meals throughout the day, but it's difficult since I work in a very unclean environment (homeless pysch unit) and I'm constantly on a computer or dealing with someone. It's probably just an excuse that I could make a bigger effort to handle. I'll think on it more.

I run pretty regularly in a hilly environment. I average something like 2-5 miles every other day and swim laps at Barton Springs now that it's not so cold outside. I've been running since Feb, so I figure that I'm in better shape than I was previously. My runs have gotten smoother, I vary distance and terrain, and I keep a fairly quick pace for the distance.

Having started back up in BJJ, I've noticed I tank REALLY fast with yesterday being the worst. Classes start out at 5PM with a Q&A problem solving session for about an hour. At 6PM, we do a 20-30min warm up, and then get into the more technical stuff afterwards.

I tap out after the warm up.

Yesterday, I felt like my head was going to explode. There wasn't any pain, but I was dizzy and felt sick to my stomach. I came home, showered off, and passed out from 7PM until 730AM.

I feel like I consume enough during the day to provide me with enough energy to make it through a class. I would have thought that by now, I'd have run enough miles (and since I'm running it at my collegiate soccer pace) that I wouldn't have a problem making it through a one and a half hour class.

I woke up this morning and felt like crap. I wasn't sore, but my head didn't not feel right. This has been getting progressively worse since I started back up. The first day I just felt light. At this point, I feel like I've got the flu or something.

I'm kind of confused at what's happening. When I played ball, I was fine. I ran a lot and ate bad foods. Now that I'm concentrating on what I'm eating, I feel worse after working out.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See a doctor.

Now.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:17pm

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like your diet is good but remember if you spend more energy through out the day you need more fuel to keep you going. Do you eat meat or did you cut that out of your diet. Another thing that i noticed helps the most is a good nights rest which i don't get.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:19pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man, see a doctor for sure. Something isn't right there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:36pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, see a doctor. There could be a number of reasons why you're tanking out quick. Quality of rest, nutrition, possible sickness ...etc....... You should be getting better, not worse. Most people I have seen that fatigue quickly, including me sometimes is when you don't get enough sleep/rest and are over-trained.
    good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 4:07pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    doctor sounds like good advice ...

did I understand correctly that you are running 2-5 miles every other day on hills at a quick pace, and swim laps, yet having trouble getting through a 30 min warm-up in the evening? is that the same day as the run? or are you no longer to make those runs/swims?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 4:23pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    doctor sounds like good advice ...

did I understand correctly that you are running 2-5 miles every other day on hills at a quick pace, and swim laps, yet having trouble getting through a 30 min warm-up in the evening? is that the same day as the run? or are you no longer to make those runs/swims?
    You are both correct and incorrect....sort of.

I am doing the run/swim thing regularly. That's not so much a problem. I do tend to run either early morning or after dark. It's simply too hot, in my opinion, to run when it's 98 degrees outside. The springs are 68 degrees year round, so I don't have a problem with the swim.

I maybe didn't convey the issue with the warm up clearly. We do an hour of rolling/problem solving then a warm up then class. So by the time the warm up starts, I've been going for a while already, then a 20-30 min warm up, after which, I feel like I'm going to die.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See a doctor. You sound sick.

You also sound overtrained (which could be a function of being sick). If you were just running and swimming I'd ask things like: What are the qualities of your runs/swims like? Do you feel like you have to get them done? Are you pressing hard every day? Are you anxious/cranky/upset when you miss one? Do you feel good for a little bit after you run and then crash? When was the last time you went for an easy run? Are you maintaining your weight easily? How about your resting heart rate?

You're also sound like you're working full-time in a high stress environment, which means you need to dial back on your workout expectations. Adding workouts of any kind when you're close to the edge is fraught.

Google "overtraining syndrome" if you want more info. This one isn't bad: http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/tri...ome-000134.php

In the meantime, see a doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 4:38pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good luck with the dr (hope you do that). maybe its as simple as you jumped back in doing too much too soon ... or something (iron?) missing in your diet ... like the other poster said though it could be so many things.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This doesn't sound right at all. I'll parrot what the other guys are saying. Go see a doctor. Could be an infection, could be blood pressure, who knows. But it certainly sounds much more severe than the typical shitty feeling of exhaustion after jits.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast