Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 11:29am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tenri Judo

Ok, I decided to revisit my dojo review and edit since I feel like I know what I'm talking about now.

full contact team-don't know how this applies to judo, but everyone at the club is encouraged to compete and many do at local/regional/national level. I don't know if that qualifies as a full contact fight team, so I'll leave it??

Schedule is on the website, but we meet tuesdays and fridays for approximately 2.5 hours, kids class is usually 6:30-7:30 and adults usually are 7:30-10 or so. Wish there was one more day, but many of the people that attend here also go to others in the area on their off-days.

Aliveness: It's Judo.

Class usually starts with warmups, then light stretching. Next we'll do uchikomi, newaza uchikomi, kakikako(sp). Next, one of the instructors will show a technique then we'll practice it for a while at various intensities, then there will be another and maybe another shown. Again, practice at gradually increasing intensities. Next will usually be more uchi komi. Then it's randorri or newaza randorri time. Following this is cool down.

equip-It's Judo, we've got a couple mats and the floors are springloaded or whatever, basically you can get thrown on them time and time again without getting hurt too badly. I did attend when we had harder mats and these new ones are wonderful, but I kind of miss the old ones too.

Size-its in the bottom of a Tenrikyo church(?). Sometime we have to randorri in groups. There are bathrooms, there is a room to change in the back.

Ratio-About 1/3-1/4 people attending are blackbelts all with competition experience on various levels and everyone is willing to help with the techniques. Many of the non-blackbelts are very knowlegable, I don't want to be belt-pregitious.

Atmosphere-no egos, everyone is here to have a good time/get better/get in better shape, whatever you want, noone judging at all.

Grappling-It's Judo. We have current and former national/international/regional competitors. We have had guest visitors that include former olympians and former olympic coachs.

There you have it, sorry for the edit, felt it was nessecary.

Cheers.
    Last edited by default; 7/31/2009 2:49pm at . Reason: better understanding

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would you say is the percentage split between NageWaza (throws) and NeWaza (ground work)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say approximately a 2/1 ratio, between throws and ground work, although it does depend on the day.
    Last edited by default; 6/26/2008 3:44pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 1:07am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 fridays ago I couldn't use the car, last friday was the fourthh of july, but this time I'm coming for a class.

default, are you going to be there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not this friday, have the father in law's bday tonight, wish I could go, I didn't get up early enough to work out today...not as many people show up on friday's, I'll be there tues and fri of next week though. give the instructor a call to mention that you'd like to try it out, let me know how it goes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2008 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I called Kei, cool dude!

and I'm off!

EDIT: What a workout!
    Last edited by GettingLessFat; 7/14/2008 12:40am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gettingless you coming tonight??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2008 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already have a class on tuesdays, sorry I won't be there.