Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2003 9:17pm

Style: WC, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please post info on another NW McThrowdown ASAP.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I've been away...

The Throwdown was a stunning success... The only reason I would refuse a little "sparring" with J-Kid is because he is a minor. I'm not running the risk of him going home black and blue and having Mom and Dad send the cops after me.

And I don't use pads, either. ;)

I was impressed with JKD Chick's efforts at explaining her training. I have no experience with JKD, and had lots to ask. Wasn't trying to put you on the spot, though!

StickGrrl's skill is impressive. Definitely not a gal I'm interested in getting pissed off at me.

Speaking of whom... Are you going to run down the location for the next get together?

Looking forward to it.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 6:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: The NorthWest McThrowdown

Originally posted by JKDChick
    [B]Well, for starters, not a lot of throwing down went on ... it was a very casual, laid-back thing.

Attending from Bullshido:

Dibble
    JKDChick
    J-Kid
    Yiliquan1
    Several friends/co-workers of Yiliquan
    (He'll have to provide identifying details, I'm terrible with names.)
    One was a junior of mine in Yiliquan (though he is also a senior student), a beginning Silat student (the Yili guy's wife), a judo 3rd dan (the one that J-kid rolled with - he really enjoyed that, by the way!), and a serrada escrima practitioner (the judo guy's wife).

It was held in a Korean MA school, that taught among other things Haidong Gumdo. It also had lots of windows and scary signs (like the "Karate Bucks" notices). There was a wall poster of nunchuck moves, with the illustrated figure looking exactly like Bruce Lee in "Game of Death" (it's the jump-suit).
    Be nice. They are good people, and they let us use their school. They could have told us to take a flying side kick off an 8 story building...

I got there about 11:30ish AM (Maybe a bit earlier). Dibble arrived later (and she was coming from much mich closer! Shame on her!)
    Shame, shame, shame. But we were glad you showed up. Better late than not at all...

J-kid is a perfectly nice, very young boy. Stop giving him such a hard time. You can yell "Double Leg Takedown!" at him, if you like, though.
    DOUBLE LEG TAKEDOWN!!! J-kid has a lot of heart, and is pretty good on the floor from what I saw (not that I could see much, mind you, being only 3 days post-op). He has a good sense of humor to boot.

Yiliquan1 (abbreviated to Yi from now on) is a big guy, very stong, and very skilled. He let me do some full strength limb destructions on him, then did one pretty hard one on me that showed me what the point of those things are.
    Nah. I'm just fat. And I get pounded on by my seniors. It's how they show me they care, at least that is what they keep telling me... I smack them pretty hard and they just look at me like I'm a baby, so that'll let you know what kind of fun I get to have during training... Payback really sucks.

He also tried to put me on the spot with talking about my art, but I'm unfortunately both shy about it and fairly certain I don't really know anything yet. So I equivocated and passed the buck.
    Wait until you get the email I'm going to send you. I have been reading through the Tao of JKD while on vacation, making notes here and there, and I have LOTS of questions! From what I can tell, Brucie was quite the TMAist!

The most memerable thing in my mind was when the three young army guys showed up at the door "to check out the martial arts here" and we had to explain that none of us did any of the arts taught in the school. "There's about seven different arts represented here, right now, but none of them are what goes on here normally. Sorry."
    That was priceless!!!

While not much fighting went on, I was very happy to have gone, and met people, and had a different perspective on both my arts and some of the traditional arts represented.
    Honestly, this was my main goal... There is a lot of commotion about TMA this and MMA that, and it is all a load of horse poop. Traditional, non-traditional, both are just empty names. Having a preference for one thing over another is natural, but to say that our preferences somehow define Truth is crap. I don't do arnis, but I learned a lot (and continue to learn) by practicing things I have learned from arnis practitioners. I don't do silat, but I learn a lot by practicing thing I learn from Silat people. But it isnlt about endlessly "incorporating" techniques or other silliness. I learn more about myself and the art I study by seeing how others look at the same subject matter and how they relate to it through their preferences and specialties.

All had a good time, all learned something to one degree or another. Sounds like success to me.

So when are we doing the next one???

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 6:58am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good question!~

Hopefully we can get more people next time.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 3:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dennis (the Yili guy from Seattle) had spoken to a number of Bagua and Silat folks he knows, as well as students of other arts, but they balked at attending due to the rough and tumble name of the event...

Sounds to me more like they were afraid they might have been handled too roughly... The more I meet folks the more I find martial artists afraid to have someone actually place their hands on them with anything less than total cooperation.

Anyway...

Once StickGrrl gets off her duff and gets around to organizing this shindig (I jest! Putting the last one together was easy once everyone chimed in with a date, but folks have lives to attend to), I will zealously advertise the event in my area... I'll be dragging the Yili folks kicking and screaming - they didn't show last time, and it really pissed me off (sure, they had viable excuses, but they should have cancelled whatever they were doing and shown up! dammit!), so next time they won't get off so easily.

Any suggestions for content and theme? Maybe this kali guy would like to present a mini-seminar of sorts?

I just hope my eyes are doing better by then. I can see way better than before, but I still have a ways to go before I am totally healed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 7:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...since I have NO PLANS to have further surgery in the next several years...I plan on being at the next McThrowdown...I look forward to meeting all of you wonderfully curious folks...

chufeng

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 8:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awww man. It'll have to be January. Can't even think about it until then!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 8:46pm

Style: stand up,clinch,ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i will attend the next one!

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 9:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we are looking at -

JKDChick
    J-Kid
    Dibble
    Chufeng
    Me and some others I will drag along... At least the same folks I had with me last time, plus a few more (they won't have a choice this time!)

Not too bad so far. Any other takers?

Posted On:
    12/04/2003 10:38pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LoL if we are doing ground fighting lets have a few mats, i got a few rug burns....

It burns yet feels so good.

(well maybe not)
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast