Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 6:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't been actively involved in the school for some years now. But by multi-style, I mean semi contact tournaments open to any recognised martial arts, sometimes with a full contact division, but alot more regulated than MMA. I don't know if they have entered any MMA competitions. Most of the tournaments I went to with Siu Lum Gar were run by progressive Karate / Kung fu / Tae kwon do schools etc. Most years, Siu lum Gar runs a multi stle tounament in Auckland. I suppose you could contact them for details.

The reason I left the style was a combination of family commitments and a growing discontent from being taken for granted as an instructor at the expense of my own progression etc. A lot of Martin's senior students have left over the years for this reason. As a comprehensive and effective style, I still rate it very highly.

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "and ranked 5th level Black Sash under Singapore Martial Arts Federation"

There is no Singapore Martial Arts Federation. There is however, a Singapore Martial Arts Instructors Association but it DOES NOT award NOR does it certify ranks so that claim above is not valid.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Damantis View Post
    Haven't been actively involved in the school for some years now. But by multi-style, I mean semi contact tournaments open to any recognised martial arts, sometimes with a full contact division, but alot more regulated than MMA. I don't know if they have entered any MMA competitions. Most of the tournaments I went to with Siu Lum Gar were run by progressive Karate / Kung fu / Tae kwon do schools etc. Most years, Siu lum Gar runs a multi stle tounament in Auckland. I suppose you could contact them for details.
    in my last kickboxing match, and at every MMA match i go to (my mum would murder me if i did MMA so its kickboxing only for me) they do very extensive medical checks before/after the fight. i dont remember EVER getting this done at those open style tournament things that i did a couple of times.

when i moved to auckland i had a look into and competed in a few of these things but i found them all to have ridiculous (i.e. unrealistic) rulesets and a horrible amount of politics going on so i don't think i would want to attend one again, but i might check out this siu lim gar one and see. i still have my nam wah pai blue sash and jacket kicking around somewhere, if it still fits.

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 9:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bisaro View Post
    "and ranked 5th level Black Sash under Singapore Martial Arts Federation"

There is no Singapore Martial Arts Federation. There is however, a Singapore Martial Arts Instructors Association but it DOES NOT award NOR does it certify ranks so that claim above is not valid.
    Oh well,. that's definitely the Association he used to refer to. It was basically a trip to Singapore where Martin had his rank of 4th Dan karate-kempo equated to a rank of 5th level blask sash in his own style of kung fu by showing a group of instructors what syllabus etc he was teaching. I didn't go on this trip as I joined only shortly before it. If it's such a big deal though. maybe someone should email this association for some comment? Better still, I suppose one could walk up to Martin and call him a fraud and see what happens. ( might pay to make sure you had comprehensive medical insurance first though ) :qgreenjum

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/21/2010 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose one could walk up to Martin and call him a fraud and see what happens. ( might pay to make sure you had comprehensive medical insurance first though ) :qgreenjum
    guys ability to fight is not being called into question, his credentials are.

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 3:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am on the Management Council of this Association and I can assure you that the Association does not certify nor issue ranks.

But, you guys did bring up an interesting idea for me to suggest at the next Council meeting. *grin*

Oh well,. that's definitely the Association he used to refer to. It was basically a trip to Singapore where Martin had his rank of 4th Dan karate-kempo equated to a rank of 5th level blask sash in his own style of kung fu by showing a group of instructors what syllabus etc he was teaching. I didn't go on this trip as I joined only shortly before it. If it's such a big deal though. maybe someone should email this association for some comment? Better still, I suppose one could walk up to Martin and call him a fraud and see what happens. ( might pay to make sure you had comprehensive medical insurance first though ) :qgreenjum
    Last edited by bisaro; 4/01/2010 3:08pm at .

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bummer. Guess I'd better burn my black sash then! Lol! Maybe you guys should call / email Martin for an explanation if he is making claims his rank is ratified by your association.

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 6:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chinese Boxing, Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm led to believe that all their grading certificates carry several official looking stamps on them, one a Shaolin Five Animal Style Association or something like that & they other has Chinese Characters. I still know one or two people training there will ask them next time I see them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 3:40am

Style: SL5,MT, BJJ noob,Chow Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen some of the Siu LUm Gar guys fight in the late 90.s early 00's and they weren't flash. They of course do very well in the comps they run, hard not to when SLG is the only "style" represented.

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 7:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in Kempo Bushido Ryu under Corrie Lindgreen (Sensei), Martin Lindgreen, Derrick Manchester, Bob & Sarah Barnes & Brian Faulkner. All of whom can be found on The Robert Gemmell Black Belt Family Tree.
    Whilst I only attained 2nd green in this school I found their teachings to be invaluable in my later life with a doctrine that emphasised self discipline & control. As a result self defence became second nature, much to my surprise in the very few situations where I have been forced to defend myself.
    I have learned from my own family that often is the dynamic where one sibling is inward & reserved and the other outgoing & gregarious.
    As a 12 year old boy I believe I observed these traits in Corrie & Martin Lindgreen. I will leave it up to you to discern who is who.
    I have heard of Martin being referred to in NZ as the "Martial Arts Mouth" and even called "full of ****" on these forums.
    Having come face to face with all of the aforementioned ma's I would never ever presume to dispute their knowledge of the arts and I believe their grounding is solid and they have a lot to offer any willing student.
    Nearly thirty years on Martin is still teaching and sharing his knowledge, credentials or not.
    It is up to us as students to take what we need from these teachings without judgement and follow our own truths so we can realise our own potential.
    That's my 2 cents worth ayways :)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast