Posted On:
    5/29/2008 11:38am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I started off no gi, and now am 50/50.

A fair amount, i won't say i'm an expert, but i feel i've done enough to warrant a valid opinion.

He was getting punched in the face, regardless. I'd much rather get punched whle attempting to win, then get punched cuddling with another guy. Also, see above question.

Like elements of his jits game, for example, when i play half-guard, i have specific things i'm looking for, and moves that i keep in my head. I'm saying that you shouldn't throw everything you have on yoru TUF teammates, when training, because you'll end up fighting them...
    I'm sorry, but based on your posts I'm still unconvinced of the experience you have. How long have you ACTUALLY been training. You can say you'd rather get punched this way or that all you want, but until you ACTUALLY try to work your guard game while getting punched you have no fucking idea how hard it is. I spend a decent amount of time every week in my training getting punched with someone in my guard, someone on top in cross-side and someone on top in mount just for drilling (not to mention actual MMA rounds and Kickboxing win GnP). IT'S FUCKING HARD, and I'm no noob. Admittedly Dante wasn't working hard at all, but your posts about Jesse are just asinine. He showed great takedowns, and worked the entire fight landing SOLID elbows, punches and hammerfists. It's not his fault dante can take a beating. Jesse showed lots of control in the attack while making sure to respect Dante's guard game so he didn't get submitted.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 11:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys trying to pound 3moose1 like you're a male Pikachu diddling a female Pikachu in the woods before your trainer comes back to but you in a pokeball need to chill the **** out and realize that dude has a point.

Check it:

Dante Rivera is a self professed jiu-jitsu guy. So then he should be jiu-jitsuing motherfuckers. Instead, he doesn't and therefore disappoints. Yes, Jesse's sub defense cancelled all his attempts, but come on, Dante's attempts were all bitch-made.

Sure, guard is hard to play, but if that's your game, you should be good at it. He's not that good at it. He doesn't look like Nate Diaz, doing that slick, pretzel **** all the time. You know, wrapping motherfuckers up like a Christmas gift. He simply did not do well. Yes, it is hard to get punched in the face, but ************, you're here to fight, make it loko like you're trying to tear **** off.

The fight last week betwee CB Dalloway and the guy that CB Dalloway beat is an example of a good wrestler vs. jiu-jitsu ************. That ************ tried submissions, more of htat would have been good to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a problem with him bashing Dante for not working his Jits better. However, I DO have a problem with him saying he should have done this, or he should have done that when he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about (i.e. using the Old School Sweep which is clear invitation to get KTFO'd in MMA). Then his continued talk about Jesse's inability as well. Jess was on top and bashing that dude the whole fight, yet somehow that's not good enough for this guy?! It's not Jesse's fault that Dante can take a beating. Besides, how many times have we seen a guy over commit on top and get caught by a guy with good submissions. It was a careful, thorough and methodical beating.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I don't have a problem with him bashing Dante for not working his Jits better. However, I DO have a problem with him saying he should have done this, or he should have done that when he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about (i.e. using the Old School Sweep which is clear invitation to get KTFO'd in MMA). Then his continued talk about Jesse's inability as well. Jess was on top and bashing that dude the whole fight, yet somehow that's not good enough for this guy?! It's not Jesse's fault that Dante can take a beating. Besides, how many times have we seen a guy over commit on top and get caught by a guy with good submissions. It was a careful, thorough and methodical beating.
    What's the old school sweep? Is that the hip bump sweep? The scissor sweep? Elevator sweep? I don't really understand BJJ terminology (I don't speak gay).

Also, is there anyone who really sweeps consistently in MMA? That **** seems to be hard to do. I hate having someone in my guard, because I can't punch them from there, but I've never tried to sweep unless they hand that **** to me. It's either submit, or get back up.

I don't think Jesse was that careful, Dante just didn't have the skill. That guy CB Dalloway beat would have torn some **** off Jesse, took it home with him, and hung it as a trophy on his wall. That ************ had good guard ****. Dante simply did not impress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The old school sweep is an eddie bravo inovation that works great in straight BJJ, but the position you put yourself in leaves your face right in front of your opponents free fist. I'll try to find video. There's some stuff on youtube that's real close, but I haven't found it exactly yet.

as for people that sweep, big nog (see his win against Sylvia for example).

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is close, but not technically an old school, but it puts you in the same position to get punched. Watch the 22 second mark. Look where your face winds up.

YouTube - Old School Sweep from Lockdown Half-guard

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oldschool Sweep from Submission 101

YouTube - Submissions 101: Old School Sweep

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 12:44pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy tiger
    On another note, is it me, or does it seem like nearly all of the competitors in this season are fairly one dimensional? They don't seem as well rounded as in previous years (generally speaking).
    I have that impression too, though I can't point to the specific events from which it's derived. I could be way off base, but it seems a safe bet that the Season 6 quarterfinalists would go undefeated against the Season 7 quarterfinalists with the right matchups*.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of these guys are inexperienced.Not necessarily one-dimensional. Either that or they're not as consistent as fighters in past seasons. In the newer seasons they bring in fighters with no pro fights (Amir) whatever happened to guys like Diego (14-0)?

I don't mean to take anything away from Amir. I'm very impressed with how he's done so far.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    What won the fight for Amir was his strong chin, his ability to fight back, his takedowns/defense, and his submission skills. In short, he was much more well rounded than Matt. Matched him on the feet, outclassed him on the ground and in the clinch.
    Amir's chin is unquestionably a strong attribute, but I think he won on the ground due to a slight edge in cardio more than an edge in technique. By the time Amir took him down, Matt looked exhausted where Amir looked tired but not quite to the exhausted point.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast