Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 2:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! I'm embarrassed as hell to admit this, but I really hadn't thought of a training log. I'm going to start that tonight!

Instructor: Pedro Sauer BB (I was there when he got it)

4 browns (3 were promoted to brown within the last two months)

1 purple

somewhere between 5-10 blue belts

I can't even tell you how many white belts. It's rediculous lately! I know there's a core group of about 8-10 who show up regularly no matter what, but then, it's not uncommon for us to have upwards of 30 people in certain classes.

They do have "beginners" classes and "advanced" classes, but I go to both and to be honest there really isn't much of a difference. I think the "beginner's" classes are labeled as such so that you don't have guys showing up on their first day to roll with the brown belts, but honestly, yeah, there's not much difference.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 2:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pick one or two moves each day, regardless of what you are taught in class that day when you start rolling work those 1 or 2 moves. Do that until you feel comfortable with those 2 then pick 2 more and repeat. As long as you sort of know how the move is done if you are practicing it against resisting people you will get better, and you can ask your partner for pointers, let them know that's what you are working on, etc...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted advice to this thread. I've only had 5 classes since I posted it last week, but I am actually already starting to see a difference in my "mental" game. It obviuosly hasn't translated to the physical side yet, but I'm definately staring to "get" things a little easier. I appreciate your help!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 12:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach often runs his classes in a similar manner. Part of the difficulty is finding a happy medium for everyone. Some guys can learn and remember a lot more than others. More often, some moves work better for different people and some moves fit your game while others don't. Getting a broad overview of similar techniques is thus helpful for a large group of students. Granted the restricted drilling is problematic, but as mentioned take the couple that seem most intuitive and continue to work them.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 4:49am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy tiger
    Has anyone run into this and is there any advice you might be able to give me to help adjust my learning style so that I can get a little more out of my classes? I mean, there are plenty of other people there at the same level as me who don't seem to be having that problem, but none of them really had anything in the way of advice. "I don't know man. I just see the move, and then I do the move." type of answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd recommend reading these:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping
    Maximizing What You Get Out of Rolling
    Aesopian's Nuggets of Advice

I'd particularly emphasise this bit of advice from Aesopian, given the problems you're having:

Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Find good training partners.

Make friends at class and find someone else who shares your interest in improving. This is easier if you’ve got the last point down.

What should you look for in a training partner?
    • They’re happy to put in the time to do the extra drilling and sparring with you.
    • They’re someone you can exchange techniques with who will help with the R&D.
    • They’ll work on a move and give you details and tips they’ve figured out.
    • They’ll spot a mistake you’re making and help you fix it.
    I feel I owe much of my biggest improvements to my great training partners who are willing to put in the time and energy to stay after class and come in on Sundays to get the extra training.
    Having the time and opportunity to hang around after class to work with people, presuming thats possible where you train, would definitely be a big help. One of the things I regret most about my schedule is that when class finishes, I've only got time to change and shower before rushing off to catch a train: if you've got the chance to drill some more after training, take it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great links! Thank you!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123