Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, I just started this thread to get some advice on getting more out of my classes. If It Is Fake has an issue w/me because he thinks I'm someone else I'll gladly provide whatever proof the mod's require to verify my identity.

That being said, does anyone have any advice?

Edited for lack of spelling...

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:04pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure where to go with this. When rolling try using a couple of basic moves and stick with them. If you get tapped or screw them up no big deal. You said you have been rolling with people with less experience, that is the perfect time to try moves because they are not going to know how to counter it. When you are rolling can you ask the instructor questions? If so, try a move and if you are having trouble with it ask for help. Pick up a book focusing on the basics to keep the move fresh in your mind. As an 8 month white belt my focus right now is on positioning and transitioning to better positions, my submission work is more on defense , prevention and escape. Once I am comfortable that I can recover back to a safer position, or prevent myself from getting into bad ones, I will work more on my subs.

I hope this helps.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy tiger
    Look, I just started this thread to get some advice on getting more out of my classes. If It Is Fake has an issue w/me because he thinks I'm someone else I'll gladly provide whatever proof the mod's require to verify my identity.

That being said, does anyone have any advice?

Edited for lack of spelling...
    Your good I'm thinking of another tiger. I apologize. My bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thx. No worries.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy tiger
    So I've done MA most of my life with CMA taking up the better part of my experience. There aren't any CMA schools that interest me where I currently live (they all do Wushu/Tai-Chi while I prefer Sanshou), and I had been wanting to learn grappling for a while so about a year ago I started training at what basically amounts to the only BJJ school in town. Before I get too far into this I want to stress that I'm NOT bad mouthing my school, but I am afraid that it may not be a good fit for me personally. My other options for grappling are limited- A Judo school in the mall which caters to little kids and "Strongly discourages competition because that's againts the spirit of Judo", and the local MMA gym. The MMA place has really great facilities, but the way they teach is on a "level" system. So you start at level one which is basic MMA conditioning, then eventually "test" to get the right to go to the next level of class. It's not set up so that you can just go and learn grappling. Plus, the place seems to have guys coming out of it with VERY serious injuries on a very regular basis. There's one other Judo school I found today, but I think they've closed...

So here's the issue. I'm not a visual learner. Never have been. It doesn't matter how many times you show me the move. If I'm not doing it, I'm not "getting it". Additionaly I'm use to having basic principles broken down from day one. At my school you sort of have to pick them up as you go and put the pieces in place as you get them so you tend to have to learn a lot of things "retroactively". For example, I was there for almost four months before we had a class on "the basic do's and don'ts of Guard". Also, yes, I did and do ask for help with these things, but it's usually not the most fruitfull advice.

Our head instructor's classes tend to run something like this:

in the first 45min he'll go through 5 to 7 moves which gives everyone about 3/4 reps per move, then we roll. Unfortunately that's just not enough reps for me, and no one ever wants to just drill. On top of that, his classes tend not to build on one another so one day you'll be doing armbars from guard and the next you're doing clock chokes. You may see a basic move on Wednesday, do it 3 or 4 times and then not see it again for 6 months. I don't seem to be adjusting to this style of teaching and I'm really having a hard time. I've stuck it out hoping to figure something out, but I really need A LOT more reps to get things down and it's very rare to find someone who just wants to drill moves during rolling or at the open mats. I've talked to him about it, and I always ask very specific questions, but the answer tends to be "more mat time". That's a good point, but if I know my fundamentals are weak, and you're not helping me with those, then isn't that mat time kind of a waste? BTW, I'm there 3 to 5 times a week except for this past month (had to cut back for work).

There's a no-gi class taught by one of the brown belts that I tend to do really well in but there's a huge contrast in teaching style there. He only shows two to three moves per class so we get a lot of reps and each week his classes build on what was done in the previous week. Any of the improvements I've noticed tend to come from that one class. So my question is this-

Has anyone run into this and is there any advice you might be able to give me to help adjust my learning style so that I can get a little more out of my classes? I mean, there are plenty of other people there at the same level as me who don't seem to be having that problem, but none of them really had anything in the way of advice. "I don't know man. I just see the move, and then I do the move." type of answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I've had teachers that teach this way during large classes. Pick Two and focus on those only. Even if there are 5 -7 to train. Remember it isn't a game of keep up. People learn at different speeds and it has no bearing on skill. It almost sounds like you are trying to keep up with your fellows in amount of techniques.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do BJJ ffs, flow with the go.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL thanks Rickson.

It Is Fake:

That's pretty good advice. I don't so much tend to care about what I know in comparison to my classmates, but I do tend to try to learn/remember every move he shows us. Usually though, by the time he's gone through the 5th/6th move I'm already struggling to remember the finer points of the first move. Maybe I should just stick with the most recent move each class untill I start getting a better feel for the movements and can remember things better.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    believe it or not, most of the learning happens not on the mat, but as you sleep that night. The way to get the maximum amount of learning out of your training is to start writing a training log. Every night after you train, or even after viewing an instructional video, write down as much detail as you can about what you remember of the techniques were taught. Write about the things that you were challenged by or that you discovered while rolling.

Not only write the journal, but carry those thoughts with you as you drift off to sleep. This will encourage your brain to re-play your experience and adapt to it as quickly as possible.

Tell me, what is the rank of your instructor and who gave him his rank? What is the distribution of belts within the school, as far as % of white/blue/purple/brown/black? Do they have different beginners and advanced classes?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 2:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobT
    5 to 7 techniques in a class sounds crazy, it doesn't surprise me you don't remember much from it.
    I agree. Three techniques is the most that should ever be taught in a single class in my opinion. Two for beginner's classes. Ideally, the techniques should be related to one another.

Also ten to fifteen reps per move is the standard at most places I've attended.

BSDaemon's suggestion about starting a training log is good advice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast