Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 11:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning style for BJJ- HELP!

So I've done MA most of my life with CMA taking up the better part of my experience. There aren't any CMA schools that interest me where I currently live (they all do Wushu/Tai-Chi while I prefer Sanshou), and I had been wanting to learn grappling for a while so about a year ago I started training at what basically amounts to the only BJJ school in town. Before I get too far into this I want to stress that I'm NOT bad mouthing my school, but I am afraid that it may not be a good fit for me personally. My other options for grappling are limited- A Judo school in the mall which caters to little kids and "Strongly discourages competition because that's againts the spirit of Judo", and the local MMA gym. The MMA place has really great facilities, but the way they teach is on a "level" system. So you start at level one which is basic MMA conditioning, then eventually "test" to get the right to go to the next level of class. It's not set up so that you can just go and learn grappling. Plus, the place seems to have guys coming out of it with VERY serious injuries on a very regular basis. There's one other Judo school I found today, but I think they've closed...

So here's the issue. I'm not a visual learner. Never have been. It doesn't matter how many times you show me the move. If I'm not doing it, I'm not "getting it". Additionaly I'm use to having basic principles broken down from day one. At my school you sort of have to pick them up as you go and put the pieces in place as you get them so you tend to have to learn a lot of things "retroactively". For example, I was there for almost four months before we had a class on "the basic do's and don'ts of Guard". Also, yes, I did and do ask for help with these things, but it's usually not the most fruitfull advice.

Our head instructor's classes tend to run something like this:

in the first 45min he'll go through 5 to 7 moves which gives everyone about 3/4 reps per move, then we roll. Unfortunately that's just not enough reps for me, and no one ever wants to just drill. On top of that, his classes tend not to build on one another so one day you'll be doing armbars from guard and the next you're doing clock chokes. You may see a basic move on Wednesday, do it 3 or 4 times and then not see it again for 6 months. I don't seem to be adjusting to this style of teaching and I'm really having a hard time. I've stuck it out hoping to figure something out, but I really need A LOT more reps to get things down and it's very rare to find someone who just wants to drill moves during rolling or at the open mats. I've talked to him about it, and I always ask very specific questions, but the answer tends to be "more mat time". That's a good point, but if I know my fundamentals are weak, and you're not helping me with those, then isn't that mat time kind of a waste? BTW, I'm there 3 to 5 times a week except for this past month (had to cut back for work).

There's a no-gi class taught by one of the brown belts that I tend to do really well in but there's a huge contrast in teaching style there. He only shows two to three moves per class so we get a lot of reps and each week his classes build on what was done in the previous week. Any of the improvements I've noticed tend to come from that one class. So my question is this-

Has anyone run into this and is there any advice you might be able to give me to help adjust my learning style so that I can get a little more out of my classes? I mean, there are plenty of other people there at the same level as me who don't seem to be having that problem, but none of them really had anything in the way of advice. "I don't know man. I just see the move, and then I do the move." type of answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:20pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I roll with people who are better than me -- which, given my level, is >90% of the time -- I am used to being stopped with "OK, from here you should [do obvious thing] and not [do hideously dumb thing I was doing]", or "You really should work on your sweeps; why don't we take a couple of minutes and you sweep me ten or twenty times". If I can't figure out a move during a class, I ask the instructor or one of the occasional brownbelts or purple belts walking around to step me through it.

If no one at your school is willing to do this, it doesn't really sound like very good instruction (even if the material is good), but with no other options, I suppose that's not a very helpful observation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I get the chance to roll with more advanced guys I definately stop from time to time to ask questions, and a lot of times people don't mind starting from certain positions in order to work on specific things, so that is good advice, it's just that a lot of times I'm rolling with other white belts. There weren't nearly as many people at my school when I first started, but the class sizes have exploded lately (it is TUF season), so I usually end up rolling with someone with even less experience than I have. Unfortunately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 to 7 techniques in a class sounds crazy, it doesn't surprise me you don't remember much from it.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy tiger
    A Judo school in the mall which caters to little kids and "Strongly discourages competition because that's againts the spirit of Judo"

Un-fucking-believable.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm not crazy then? I'm seriously starting to feel mildly retarded because of some this...

Tom Kagan: Yeah. The real irony is that they say they're going to offer BJJ soon.....It's like a MA twighlight zone episode in that place....

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Un-fucking-believable.
    Tell them who you were again for context Wavy Tiger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It Is Fake-

I mentioned before- I've been doing MA most of my life, but BJJ only about 1 year. Is that what you meant?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy tiger
    It Is Fake-

I mentioned before- I've been doing MA most of my life, but BJJ only about 1 year. Is that what you meant?
    Your old handle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry dude,

This is my only handle. Who do you think I am?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast