222368 Bullies, 4143 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    List what equipment the gym has and people on here will be able to suggest workouts for you.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 9:45am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    Would it be surprising to find an out of shape 16 year old?

I Know my school's lunch program which i lived off of for 4 years was the biggest degradation of my nutritional needs.

1 day a week is sure better than nothing. doing some kind of workout once or twice a week around it would be best. go for runs or something just to get your heartrate up and your breathing heavy.
    No, it would n't surprise me but he's only 16 hence he's a minor in Law and still growing so any advice would have to be in that context. At 16, I was still playing a lot of soccer hence I was thin as a rail, and I walked everywhere.

If he was still in Education, he should have had some sort of sports activity programme (UK spelling). Additionally he might have been part of some out of school activity. We knew little of this from his first post. We now know he's done little sports (why? Does the school not provide PE? etc etc).

Nothing wrong in being a mite cautious before offering advice that might not be suitable to his circumstance.

For the OP, be careful. Teh El Macho gives excellent advice, however you are still young so don't go overboard.

Good Luck.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    Assuming you are a normal healthy person ... just out of shape ... I would put the class on hold and get in reasonable shape first.
    Don't do this, the best way to get in shape for training is to train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 9:50am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    roadwork is training ... in fact, the most important component of training IMO.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Seconded!

The best way to get in shape for Muay Thai is to do Muay Thai
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 7:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got back from another lesson and I'm sore and exhausted. But it's allot of fun though! But yeah in Grade 12 we do have the option to chose a subject that revolves around sport, but that then badly affects my grades and OP score (it's hard to explain without going into detail) so that's not an option. Also, I really hate "footy", and that's about all they do.

Well thanks for the tips and opinions guys. I appreciate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 9:32am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    Assuming you are a normal healthy person ... just out of shape ... I would put the class on hold and get in reasonable shape first.
    This is my little brother's lame ass excuse for not joining me in class. He comes back with the need to get into shape first before joining class.

Go to class. Get in shape.
    Last edited by 7thSamurai; 5/29/2008 9:53am at .

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 9:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When i was doing Muay Thai, my (now) flatmate always said he was going to come but that he wanted to get in shape first. He never seemed to understand that it would get him in shape and that everyone wouldn't be laughing at him for being in poor physical condition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 9:52am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    This is my little brother's lame ass excuse for not joining my in class. He comes back with the need to get into shape first before joining class.

Go to class. Get in shape.
    of course if it is used as an excuse to not do anything its not a good idea, but that isnt what I was suggesting. I realize I am in the minority here, but I have to stand by my earlier advice.

I could turn the argument around and say that one day a week of classes is just an excuse for not exercising enough ... but only to make a rhetorical point ... because I am sure this isnt his intention.

There would be a lot more benefit to gain by using roadwork to get into a reasonable level of fitness first. This is based on his described level of fitness which sounds extremely low if I understood correctly.

Several weeks of roadwork and then working in as many classes as possible, would be far better IMO than 1 day a week of classes.

Even throwing in the class up front with the roadwork wouldnt necessarily be a bad idea, but IMO, I dont think it would be a good use of money at this point.

That said, I do understand the differing opinions ... "get in shape first" could be used as an excuse to never start ... I agree, of course, that this attitude should be avoided at all costs and is much worse than just doing one class a week.
    Last edited by muddy; 5/29/2008 10:03am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12