Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 4:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fitness & Weightloss

A few of my friends and myself joined a Muay Thai class in which we had our first lesson in yesterday. Now, since it's 35-45minutes away (depending on traffic) it's quite a hassle to get to, seeing as only one of us can drive, and currently we can only go 1 night a week unless he can convince someone to trade work days with us.

My question is - will doing Muay Thai once a week be enough to lose even small amounts of weight? I am not exactly fit, and I could do with losing a bit of my gut if you know what I mean.

Last nights class was extremely difficult for me seeing as I'm not very fit. Even my friends found it almost as hard and they do allot of skateboarding and working out at the Gym. This is what I can recall we did last night (this might not be 100% correct).

Warm up - 30 minutes. We pretty much did not stop for those 30 minutes. We had to jog on the spot while punching, sprint on the spot while punching, do pushups (including those half-up ones), double shoulder width pushups, some stretches, then more jogging on the spot and various punching in the air. Then a bit of Shadow boxing.

Me and one of my friends almost passed out and vomited just from that - they worked us pretty hard. In fact, it's the hardest I have ever worked in my life, and it was only 30 minutes.

For the next 40-45 minutes we were shown different techniques and had to do them on bags. We were made to practice kneeing eachother (only light contact though) and we had to practice pulling the other person off balance while kneeing them. We were shown various punching/kicking/elbowing combos and we had to do them.

we spent the last few minutes doing more stretches and a warm down. Hopefully we get to do sparring next time, but it's not the end of the world if we don't. I hope my really badly explained summary of the lesson is enough for you more knowledgeable people to judge, but will it be enough to lose weight? Once a week that is, with the possibility of twice a week.

Thanks!

also, I'm 16, Male, if that makes a difference.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 6:08am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything is better than nothing so you should see some improvement however small PROVIDING your diet isn't ****.

I would recommend going to class at least twice a week to make real improvements in Muay Thai and your fitness and, if possible, extend that to three days in the near future.

Also look up interval training when you're ready to run in your free time.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 6:37am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewD
    Now, since it's 35-45minutes away (depending on traffic) it's quite a hassle to get to, seeing as only one of us can drive, and currently we can only go 1 night a week unless he can convince someone to trade work days with us.
    I see this as an impediment to your future commitment level.

Short answer "yes with an if." Yes if you go every week. However keep in mind the amount of weight loss you'll achieve may be much smaller and more incremental than you'd like, and even more minimal if you don't alter diet.

Bottom line, to lose weight, eat less, do something physically challenging, and do it often. The more accessible the activity or the more YOU enjoy it, the more often you'll do it which is what's really needed.

One of the best decisions I've ever made for my weight loss was signing up for a gym right across from work so that I go for 40 min EVERY DAY at my lunch hour. When my gym was 20 min from my house, I'd find all sorts of excuses not to go.

Cater to your own laziness, and find physical activities that you'll make less excuses with.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 6:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are 16 and need to lose weight?

Are you sure?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 7:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it be surprising to find an out of shape 16 year old?

I Know my school's lunch program which i lived off of for 4 years was the biggest degradation of my nutritional needs.

1 day a week is sure better than nothing. doing some kind of workout once or twice a week around it would be best. go for runs or something just to get your heartrate up and your breathing heavy.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 7:11am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    Would it be surprising to find an out of shape 16 year old?

I Know my school's lunch program which i lived off of for 4 years was the biggest degradation of my nutritional needs.

1 day a week is sure better than nothing. doing some kind of workout once or twice a week around it would be best. go for runs or something just to get your heartrate up and your breathing heavy.
    Yea, most 16 year olds eat like ****. One day a week is a fine start, but you'll want to find a way to go at least two days once you start going. Changes to your diet, even gradual ones, are a must if you seriously wanna lose weight, and other supplemental excercises will help immensly. Is there a little area around your house where you can go jogging for a mile or two?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's 16, he is still in HS. MatthewD, doesn't your HS has a wrestling or weightlifting program?

As BudoMonkey said, once a week of MT is a fine start, but you will have to do more to get results. In fact, you will need to do more to stay in MT. You do it once a week, and I can assure you, you will drop off it at some point. The keyword is commitment.

However, I'm surprised you are going outside of your HS to get physical training, when usually they do have some sort of athletics/PT program (at least the ones I've seen.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes yes, to El Macho you listen! Free Wrestling and/or weights cannot be beat!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:06am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you are a normal healthy person ... just out of shape ... I would put the class on hold and get in reasonable shape first. Focus on aerobic running till able to run at least 30 minutes. Then add anaerobic running (intervals) till bodyfat is at least below 20%. After that, I would find a good boxing trainer and focus on boxing fundamentals and condtioning for awhile.

Also, diet and nutrition is every bit as important as working out ... so dont neglect these.

You are young and you have plenty of time. Take advantage of that to create a solid foundation to work from in years to come.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm not looking to lose allot of weight, it's just over the past 5-6 years I have done absolutely no sport, and gotten a little chubby basically. Mainly on the stomach.

My friend now gets another day off so we can go twice a week which should be good. I was also thinking of joining the local Gym as much as I dislike them. Also, my school offers little sport in the form of martial arts or wrestling. We once got a shitty Aikido "master" to come once a week for an hour in the afternoon to teach people but that was lame so I didn't do it anyway. We do however have a small (I mean small) "Gym" with like a few weights and maybe 2 pieces of equipment.

As for my diet, it's probably not the best. I eat a reasonable amount of junk but it's allot better than what I see some people eating. I just don't get it, I have friends who eat junk (like large packets of chips, soft drinks, etc.) every single day for both lunches and nothing else, yet they do no sport and still maintain a slim figure. I guess I'm just unlucky.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast