Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"It's a Different Type of Cardio"

I call Bullshido on this statement that I hear way too much, and never really thought twice about. I probably even said it myself when I was new to BJJ.

Anyway does your body have different cardio-vascular systems, or is this just what it feels like when you're in good shape, but do not know how to conserve energy in a given situation?
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:32pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it has to do with how the body adapts to specific activities. I run and lift a lot, but just got into mountain biking. It's unfamiliar, so it's kicking my ass in ways that make me feel like a pudding bag.

Knowing how to conserve energy could be an issue too, though. Then there's the adrenaline factor that you really don't have in other activities (no one's trying to take your head off when you're on the treadmill, after all...).

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the rule of specificity. As you've noted, when the body gets efficient at something, it uses less energy to accomplish the task. Using less energy means using less of your cardio "reserves", meaning you can go for longer.

But that's being incredibly simple about it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 9:37pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Triangles
    I call Bullshido on this statement that I hear way too much, and never really thought twice about. I probably even said it myself when I was new to BJJ.

Anyway does your body have different cardio-vascular systems, or is this just what it feels like when you're in good shape, but do not know how to conserve energy in a given situation?
    I'm not sure what your context is. Anerobic capacity is not aerobic capacity is not v02Max.

Otherwise lance armstrong would be winning all the sprinting events too.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    I'm not sure what your context is. Anerobic capacity is not aerobic capacity is not v02Max.

Otherwise lance armstrong would be winning all the sprinting events too.

QFT. Your body operates with different metabolic pathways or "gas tanks". Which one it uses depends on the amount required to performe an amount of work (force * distance) or generate power.

From http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006...ng_jun_03.html

* red text by me

The first, the phosphagen pathway, provides the bulk of energy used in highest-powered activities, those that last less than ten seconds.

The second, the glycolytic pathway, dominates moderate-powered activities, those that last up to several minutes.

* The first two are the bulk of what we think of anaerobic capacity (with the first one being the bulk of it).

The third, the oxidative pathway provides energy for low-powered activities, those that last in excess of several minutes.

* This is what we usually think of cardio or endurance (with a component from the glycolytic pathway)

You have what's called GPP, or general physical preparedness, which is the ability to perform physical tasks, preferably in all three metabolic pathways.

Then you have SSPP, or sports specific physical preparedness. You can power clean and do sprints till kingdom come (that is, have a powerful gas tank and the ability to generate power), but that won't translate necessarily to grappling, the Tour de France, or disk throwing unless you have excellent conditioning to the sport in question.

You get good at what you do. If you only do squats and sprints, you'll get good at squats and sprints. It will not necessarily translate into the physical conditioning required to perform the skills.

What GPP offers is the ability to increase SSPP. There is no SSPP without GPP. People just don't think about the two, and by virtue of training, they get both.

Another good read is the following:

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/arch...%20Fitness.pdf
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/28/2008 8:06am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:45am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ To sum up the above, you're wrong. Have a nice day Mikey!

Just think about it in simple terms. Try running a couple miles. Then try sprinting. Then try kicking the heavy bag. Then try body weight squats.

They all feel and effect you differently. Anaerobic, aerobic and muscular endurance and some activities are a mix. Thats why you have to train differently for each one.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    ^ To sum up the above, you're wrong. Have a nice day Mikey!

Just think about it in simple terms. Try running a couple miles. Then try sprinting. Then try kicking the heavy bag. Then try body weight squats.

They all feel and effect you differently. Anaerobic, aerobic and muscular endurance and some activities are a mix. Thats why you have to train differently for each one.

well when your running you're conserving energy as opposed to sprinting in which you're exerting. I don't see how boxing and BJJ are different in an aerobic/anaerobic sense.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it's jsut what I've seen (you obviously have superior jits experience than me), but striking training tends to have more bursts of balls-out exertion followed by periods of relative rest, wheras grappling training will have more bouts of extended, moderated exertion, with less frequent explosions.

Also, the gi tends to keep the balls in

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:26pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You use different muscle groups and as you become better at the activity you can utilise those muscle groups more effectively. Therefore you could have awesome cardio when doing stand up but become gassed really quick during grappling... etc etc. That means the cardio built up from running will have less carry over to BJJ than the cardio from BJJ will have on BJJ.

In my opinion this means cardio still equals cardio just that you become better at utilising it within one activity than another by doing that activity.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, marathon runners can expect they will gas at pretty much any combat sport.

Sprinters, less so.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast