Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 2:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    dition after being dissatisfied with the watered-down **** he was finding in dojos).

Or--lacking any place that trains you nearly as hard as you'd train and condition yourself--you can choose what IIF calls the 'path to self-destruction: take whatever you learned in the old-school place you used to go to and build upon it on your own, finding opportunities to put the results to the test via sparring (such as going to TDs as often as possible and finding someone there who's willing to go all-out with you).
    OMG, You read what I type? Are you fucking nuts?

You just described my 6 years at a college tae kwon do club. Some of the most productive time I've spent in martial arts to be honest with you.
    A mediocre gym (my school not yours) with good training partners will overcome what should be bad.

That being said, if the opportunity is available (In your price range of course) get the best training possible.

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    OMG, You read what I type? Are you fucking nuts?

Not unless they're pre-drilled coconuts. I may be as insensitive to pain as I am to the feelings of others; however, there are limits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 4:57pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the feedback, y'all... it's a lot to ruminate about! I'm pretty happy just doing Jiu Jitsu at the moment, so Taekwondo (or any striking art) is something I'll take up when I've actually got some muscle on my skinny frame.

Dad's old Dojang was on the outskirts of Dunedin, so who knows if it's still there. He has mentioned an old teacher of his who lives here in Christchurch who I believe is a 3rd Dan, so I guess there's another avenue. If I were to take up Taekwondo at some stage, he'd be the guy to look up.

Either way, it's kind of interesting digging into Dad's old training. He seems to have been living under a rock, though. The look of disappointment on his face when I described the McDojang phenomenon was truly heartbreaking.

Once again, cheers for all the info, guys!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    A mediocre gym (my school not yours) with good training partners will overcome what should be bad.
    Not just good training partners. But a good head on your shoulders and a solid plan of what you want to achieve. Growth as a martial artist requires lots of cerebral sweat along with physical sweat. What I had in the college club was that and lots of different bodies to experiment on.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 2:30am

Style: Muay Thai. Ansatsuken.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone tell me what 'teh' means, or is it a spelling mistake from 'the'??? I dunno...

Anyway, a lot of traditional MA were made to train Armies, or so many stories go. So you would imagine if they stood up on a battlefield they should be pretty hard core. Muay Thai is like this, I reckon, and maintains its war mind set attitude. But TKD has been absent from wars for many centuries now, hasn't it? In any case, yeah, it should depend on the guy practicing and teaching as to whether it gets trained aggressivly enough to stand up in a ring or in a heavy street fight. I reckon the problem most now days would be many idiots have gotten into the mindset that it is all about technique, which is good, but much as about muscle power, aggression, reflexes, and speed, also. Some schools may use many of these aspects, but mostly the only ones that use all are ring fighting styles. If I had to put it as why a style of TKD is now taught soft cock it would probably be due to lazy and fat instructors that would cower at a real fight and they teach soft and say it is good coz they are too afraid of fessing up that what it really takes to be good is too much effort for their lazy asses, so they pay it off, in most cases, subconciously.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 5:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go back to playing video games, Tenchu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:02am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work Tenchu, that's pretty much the worst post I've read on Bullshido in some time.

Now please stop playing computer games, you're giving the rest of us a bad rep.

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mind telling me, Tenchu, when's the last time MT was used in a battlefield?

No doubt the snipers, tanks and warplanes wouldn't have stood a chance...

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget the Hephalumps!

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 8:57am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Not just good training partners. But a good head on your shoulders and a solid plan of what you want to achieve. Growth as a martial artist requires lots of cerebral sweat along with physical sweat. What I had in the college club was that and lots of different bodies to experiment on.
    I agree. Still, If the people you train with are ****, it doesn't matter how cerebral you are.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast