Our Sponsors:

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 4:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are making great points... but what would you recommend to bring back the true TKD? Or is it lost forever? Where there ever a "hardcore" or a "Martial Art" side of TKD here in the West? or did we just stripped it down to a contact SPORT?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 4:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're an idiot.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garycancer
    You guys are making great points... but what would you recommend to bring back the true TKD? Or is it lost forever? Where there ever a "hardcore" or a "Martial Art" side of TKD here in the West? or did we just stripped it down to a contact SPORT?

To restore TKD to his old glory, we have to start training a combination of modern day TKD and kickboxing, which in fighting style resembles for 95% "old school" TKD, add the Palgwť forms (loose the Tageuks, center of gravity is too high), loose the chestprotector and helmet (footprotecters, a shell and boxing gloves are enough).
    But this will not be possible before TKD loses the "olympic" status and popularity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 5:10pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A TKD black belt will have to publicly spear hand somebody in the stomach and pull out their intestines. Maybe even eat them too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 5:37pm

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a vid either Maverick or DA(or someone else) posted some time ago ( I bookmarked it).
    YouTube - Cho's Taekwondo: 3rd Degree Testing

Well, basically most of the things in the vid: Less protection, leg kicks, punches to the head, throws, knees in sparring, etc. And to top it off: Black frikkin doboks.
    Get all TKD dojangs to train like they do in this dojang, and I'd expect you'd get "hardcore taekwondo".

For some reason I also see the flying armbar as a perfect TKD technique after watching the Human Weapon TKD episode, where the demo team does some weird crap...

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Yam
    Maybe my opinion is shaped by the large number of articles I remember seeing from the late '80s and early '90s lauding the economic boom of TKD as a business.

True, everyone who opens up an MA school of any type and expects to make a living off of it is expecting to make money. However, are the goals of the MA school owner motivate primarily by "I love (insert art) and want to spread its benefit to the world while getting paid to do what I love" or "Hey, (insert art) is really popular right now. I bet I could make a killing marketing my mediocre skills to kids and their soccer moms who have no reasonable expectation of being able to tell if I'm any good or if I suck." I think the way TKD was marketed within the TKD community during the late '80s and early '90s ensured that more of the latter than the former set up strip mall dojangs.
    Actually I think that after Karate Kid the industry hit a boom. TKD schools were the first to take full advantadge of it in my opinoin. Many of them who had several black belts branched out opening up more schools to "corner" their market. The problem was that many of their black belts, though might have been good at what they did, didn't have a clue about what teaching was all about.

So I would agree with both sides of the arguments. The original school opened up for the love of the art while getting paid. Many of the chain schools started opening up for the love of the pay while teaching the art. Perhaps, the main teacher should have taught the instructors how to teach.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First you have to do away with all children classes. Since we are going to go back to the "true" TKD then we must understand that "true" TDK didn't have any children's classes. NO KIDS ALLOWED!!! I believe Lee, Won-kuk wouldn't teach anyone under the age of 16. Next we will rename TKD to Korean Karate and will go back to old forms. Next we will do away with modern studies in human science that has lead to a lot of revelations to improve the art. After all "true" TKD used a more traditional method of OMD type philosophy when it came to the body. These are just a few things you will need to bring back "true" TKD.

Sound good? In other words before you start asking to bring back "true" or "traditional" TKD be sure you know exactly what that is.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 9:24am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bringing back true TKD = studying Kyokushin

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think "going back" is exactly what TKD doesn't need. What it needs is evolution in the right direction. Right for who though?

The thing I truly love about tae kwon do is that is can be a lot of things to a lot of people. It can be a fun sport, it can be a way to get in shape, and it can be an instrument for fighting effectiveness. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "style" has nothing to do with what someone can do, it's the training methods. Talking about a "style" is a waste of time. Talking about training methods is what's important.

All this talk about "going back" reeks of rosy sunglasses and reminiscing, often times ignorantly.

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 9:41am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking Taegwondo back to its traditional roots would be quiite simple.

Go learn Matsumura-ha Shorin-ryu Karatejutsu.
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast